Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

P2P Lending

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shelflife wrote: »
    The Mintos auto- invest is for me anyway hard to fathom, by all accounts I should be fully invested yet I have to do it manually for small amounts to tidy up and reduce drag.

It seems to me that Peerberry and Mintos are the only gigs in town from a liquidity point of view, Vivantor is ok , seems to come in bursts.

Fast Invest is good as well but comes with a warning.

Thinking of putting some more in with Peerberry but worried about putting too much in one platform. It does seem to be one of the higher rated platforms though.

Thanks, I opened a Peerberry account and have sent a couple of hundred to it to trial it.
    The team in the about section of the website looks very young to my eye, maybe I'm showing my age here but i'd rather someone a bit older with a longer track record as their CEO, time will tell.
    I'm split between spreading my savings around multiple p2p sites as a safeguard or perhaps i'm increasing the likelihood of loss by one failing?
    Maybe splitting it up with a stock market ETF instead alongside maybe Miltos and one or two other p2p sites is a better fit for me.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm split between spreading my savings around multiple p2p sites as a safeguard or perhaps i'm increasing the likelihood of loss by one failing?
    Maybe splitting it up with a stock market ETF instead alongside maybe Miltos and one or two other p2p sites is a better fit for me.

I'm thinking similar but going Mintos as my safe option, one smaller site with higher rates as a second one and then stocks or other investments beyond that, was splitting to more p2p sites but think 2 is fine.

Not liking the Peerberry auto invest setup at all, its not working for me! Does it take a while to kick in?, there are no guides anywhere on the site on how to set it up that i can see.
    What is portfolio size?, seem like I can put any number in there, how do I transfer funds to this portfolio? Miltos was a piece of cake in comparison, tempted to just go elsewhere.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

My portfolio size is set at 999999. No minimum amount, remaining loan term or principal amount.

There are hundreds of loans currently available.

What are your other portfolio settings? Buyback, reinvest, countries, minimum, status etc.
    Not liking the Peerberry auto invest setup at all, its not working for me! Does it take a while to kick in?, there are no guides anywhere on the site on how to set it up that i can see.
    What is portfolio size?, seem like I can put any number in there, how do I transfer funds to this portfolio? Miltos was a piece of cake in comparison, tempted to just go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Grupeer with a tranche of 14% loans.

Filling up fast .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Shelflife wrote: »
    Grupeer with a tranche of 14% loans.

Filling up fast .

Seen that yesterday, but minimum 12 months with no secondary market if I want to cash out. Too long term for me. But that's just my personal preference.

My portfolio size is set at 999999. No minimum amount, remaining loan term or principal amount.

There are hundreds of loans currently available.

What are your other portfolio settings? Buyback, reinvest, countries, minimum, status etc.

Funny enough, it vested overnight with its own mixture of 11% and 11.5% loans. The profiles I made are ignored and neither is vested, very strange indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I am looking to invest a little in P2P lending, is https://linkedfinance.com a good place for a novice so that risk is spread and its Irish based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

BrookieD wrote: »
    I am looking to invest a little in P2P lending, is https://linkedfinance.com a good place for a novice so that risk is spread and its Irish based?

You should be doing lots of reading and investigating into those you wish to invest with. This thread has good stuff in it, and i'd read at least this thread 1st. LF was talked about only a couple of weeks ago here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

There's a thread on LinkedFinance. Have a read there too. The thread is from 3 years ago so have a look at the newer posts.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057529370

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

BrookieD wrote: »

It's 50euro min loan and no secondary market so I'd say not great for a novice. A site like Mintos has a huge selection, a secondary market and a minimum of 10 a loan, takes a little bit of getting used to but definitely more user friendly long term.

That is odd! Which profile did it use if your profiles were ignored?
    Funny enough, it vested overnight with its own mixture of 11% and 11.5% loans. The profiles I made are ignored and neither is vested, very strange indeed.

My suspicion is that it was very backlogged and only caught up by processing an already deleted but queued, profile. Funny enough a couple of loans were paid early today and the money was reinvested using the current single profile so it seems like its caught up.

Mozipo Group has joined Viventor under the "Moment Credit" company. EUR loans, 8-11% returns, 2-60 months duration, 90day buyback.

Mozipo already had loans available on Mintos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

https://financiallyfree.eu/

His Fast Invest review is up

An interesting read. I am still not convinced by the CEO back story. Will keep watching how it develops.

Doesnt answer any questions for me, personally having a big car and a personalised plate would put me off a start up company rather than encourage me.

Will keep a watching brief on it and will continue to reduce my portfolio with them until we can get some more info.

Viainvest, the Tax Faq is a bit much, what do you send them? P60?

Are you talking about the tax cert? You request a tax residence letter from revenue. You can do it via ROS too.

Are you talking about the tax cert? You request a tax residence letter from revenue. You can do it via ROS too.

Is that all? Once I got to double taxation/Czech Republic, I said to myself thats for another day.

• Advertisement

I had to double check my auto invest after your post but thankfully I don't have viasms.cz checked on my portfolios. :P
    vargoo wrote: »
    Is that all? Once I got to double taxation/Czech Republic, I said to myself thats for another day.

I note that Mintos has a few 14% short term 30 day EUR loans with buyback available via some of the riskier loan originators. Nice to see the interest rates starting to increase, hopefully it'll push up rates from the less risky originators.

Lenndy appear to have a holiday promotion at the moment. Unsure if it is account specific. "We wish you cozy holidays and offer loans with higher interest rates!" Selected loans appear to be +1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Twino are looking for a raft of new information from investors in a questionnaire. (they claim it's mandatory although at present you can still skip over it). Anybody fill it out yet? What kind of support documents do they require?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

I notice mintos are suddenly asking for verification of ID to withdraw any funds, I am almost 100% certain I entered passport details when I signed up for that account. The ID process redirects you to an external website. Struck me as a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I think there is extra regulations starting to creep in around P2P.

There's worries about money laundering and presumably worries that P2P providers themselves might go bust.

I notice mintos are suddenly asking for verification of ID to withdraw any funds, I am almost 100% certain I entered passport details when I signed up for that account. The ID process redirects you to an external website. Struck me as a bit odd.

Scan your computer and don't enter anything on some external site, it's not asking me for anything.

None farm verification out to some external.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Any thoughts about FastInvest? Is it a safe investment?

soirish wrote: »
    Any thoughts about FastInvest? Is it a safe investment?

Have a look back over the thread , some decent advice there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

Hi guys,

I have done a little P2P investing, two loans which worked out well, but were more of an asset backed nature rather than depending on the credit worthiness of the loan originator.

But I thought I would share my thoughts on these investments.

As people have said before, there is risk attached to these and originators go bust, so only invest sums that you are ok to lose.

My understanding of returns of low teens etc, these look like equity level returns, not debt returns. Nothing wrong with that, but you just need to understand the risks. Greek bonds are trading at under 5% for example.

The business model of the originators seems to be to charge APRs that are massive. Again nothing wrong with that in principle, but I won't take a loan from the credit card at 25% if I can use my credit union loan at 15%. So someone who is happy with a 100% APR will probably not have access to credit cards and credit unions. As many of the loans are personal loans with massive APRs, these are basically pay day loans to people who don't have other options, ie possibly risky.

Given you are looking at a buyback type, it means that you probably aren't looking to closely at the risk of the individual person who has taken out the loan, and more likely the loan originator. Therefore your real risk is the the loan originator gives too many loans to people who don't pay them back. Therefore I wouldn't be criticising too many of these guys for not putting up enough loans. I'd prefer lower loan volume and better underwriting standards.

So effectively people are providing funding to these originators on an unsecured basis (I don’t see how they can be secured like Mortgage backed securities), and you really have to evaluate the originator business. Hopefully the originator has plenty of equity in their business to absorb losses first, before hurting people’s loans on these platforms (Eurocent?). Given that there is plenty of small loans there is clearly lots of diversity so a percentage can default and overall the originator is ok. The other protection is (ironically) that the APR they are charging is so high, that there is plenty of profit they are taking vs the interest they are passing on to the platform lenders. However looking at some of these companies they are relatively new and growing, two classic things that present risk. Add in relatively low regulation and obtaining cash from likely unsophisticated investors means there isn’t massive due diligence available to make up a real credit case, and I’m not fully convinced by the credit ratings that Mintos provides.

For some operations there is also FX risk (like the Icelandic banks). The guys originating loans in Botswana (a good country by all accounts and likely has little lending options like credit cards and credit unions meaning they can charge higher rates but to good performing people). Looking at their P&L, they have some bad debts but their big cost is that their loans on the platform are in Euros, but to their onward loans to individuals in Botswana would be in local currency, the Pula. Looking at the originators P&L they are having FX losses, which will be driven by the changes in the EUR to the Pula. Again the risks of these things need to be taken into account - and it was drove the Icelandic banks to default on those in the UK which provided them with funding at attractive rates.

The one thing I really don’t like is that where the loan you provide funds to performs, but the originator collapses, you don’t get your money back. Also, the skin in the game should really be junior type loans, not just participations, ie the first loss is taken by the originator in the loan not pari passu by taking a percentage.

The criticism of Mongo buy backs is interesting, because if I was a CFO of any of these companies I would be looking to move away from expensive 10% rates to much lower rates available to even junk bond issuers in the capital markets. As these originators grow and have longer track records, they will find it easier to access these capital markets and move away from these platforms. Prepayment risk is something people have been talking about for some years and its clearly present here.

The other interesting criticism is that the loans are provided fast enough. I fully understand this. But look at it from the other side of the coin – this means the originators see more demand for funding and have two options available, 1) lower the rates and 2) fund more loans (likely which are risky). This is exactly the same kind of behaviour that was happening in the run up to the last global financial crisis. Too much money chasing too few deals.

Please don't take any of this as criticism, I find this fascinating so I will be keeping a close eye on how things go with this. Please keep the updates coming.

Cheers

Advertisement