Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If one likes Wipeout one has to own Rollcage and its first sequel, very good indeed though with the visual effects on overtime the frame rates aren't as stable as they could be, still worth owning if you like the genre.
    Also, Powerdrome on the PS2 is pretty good, a sequel to the Amiga original and itself a forebear of Wipeout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best Wipeout game is F-Zero GX :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The best Wipeout game is F-Zero GX :pac:

Get out you buffoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Why play, just watch :D

https://phoboslab.org/wipeout/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Been playing the Omega Collection in VR it's probably one of the best VR games yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Played through House of the Dead 2 earlier. Wish it was a bit longer :(

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Played through House of the Dead 2 earlier. Wish it was a bit longer :(

Did you get any secrets or branching paths?

A lot like much of Sega's output, such as Outrun 2, it's about replaying rather than lashing through and seeing all it has to offer.

I recall some numpty thinking one of there games was poor because a player could have seen everything in a couple of hours, completely forgetting the nature of the game.
    It's like suggesting that Galaga or Robotron are boring.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did you get any secrets or branching paths?

A lot like much of Sega's output, such as Outrun 2, it's about replaying rather than lashing through and seeing all it has to offer.

I recall some numpty thinking one of there games was poor because a player could have seen everything in a couple of hours, completely forgetting the nature of the game.
    It's like suggesting that Galaga or Robotron are boring.

I took few different paths than usual, but I'll look into the secrets. I know of one secret room on the last level but didn't remember how to get it . Ah sure I've for original mode, training and boss mode to do also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been playing Joe & Mac on the NES. It's not a great game but got far enough after a few attempts so kept playing until I finished it. There are 6 weapons but only 2 of them are really useful (stone wheel and fireball), so much so that if none of the enemy kills in the first 2 levels result in one of those two weapons I would just restart the game... did manage to kill the final boss with the default weapon though.

Here's a capture of my playthrough:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not retro as it's only just out but La mulana 2 is insanely good. The puzzles are much fairer than in the original but still manages to be a great homage to the MSX games it's based on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What do you do when your BVM won't support NTSC 60HZ over composite?

Dig out a 9 inch PVM and play your famicom on that instead :D

IMG_20180810_223336487_1.jpg

They actually look really cool together, size difference is amazing.

Played through Battletoads again. Was hoping to finish it with no continues and max points but no luck, last level didn't go well at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Been playing through The Lion King (Mega Drive). I'm making a point of passing that Level 2. Slowly but surely getting there. :P

KevW24601 wrote: »
    Been playing through The Lion King (Mega Drive). I'm making a point of passing that Level 2. Slowly but surely getting there. :P

I don't think I've been past level 2, it's very difficult!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't think I've been past level 2, it's very difficult!

Probably the biggest difficulty spike in any game out there, considering that level 1 is practically a cakewalk!

I see a lot of people in the last few months say Lion King on the megadrive is a very tough game. I remember it as an absolute cakewalk. It's not that difficult at all except for the awful final boss fight.

Spent the evening road testing the various versions of Outrun 2/2006 I have.
    The PSP version is remarkable, though choppy at times.
    The 360 native version looks and moves the best but is very limited in content.
    The Xbox Outrun 2 is stunning, runs well natively but the frame rate bucks about on the 360 via backwards compatibility making it a waste of time.
    The PS2 version of 2006, via HDMI, is stunning though not as sharp as the native 360 title. Where it does score better is the amount of content, which is all of Outrun 2 and 2006. Only thing it falls down on is the likes of the unlockable Scud Race tracks from Outrun 2 on the Xbox, which is the only place to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I see a lot of people in the last few months say Lion King on the megadrive is a very tough game. I remember it as an absolute cakewalk. It's not that difficult at all except for the awful final boss fight.

The maze level which I think is before the boss fight iirc is a pig though.

Doge wrote: »
    The maze level which I think is before the boss fight iirc is a pig though.

Ah. Just remembered that now. Easy once you know how but before you know it off it's horrible. Like the last stage of revenge of shinobi

Been playing Batman on the NES the last while, finally finished it there. It's a good game, can see myself playing it again. Reminds me of Kabuki Quantum Fighter.

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I mentioned in another thread that I've been playing Half-Life recently. My first time playing through it in fact, as I pretty much switched to PC gaming this year and am slowly catching up on all the great games I missed out on.

Also enjoying DMs on Quake III Arena and Unreal games whenever others feel up to playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm waiting for Black Mesa to be finished (!), before playing through the HL's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Black Mesa to be finished (!), before playing through the HL's again.

I only finished episode 2 for the first time two weeks ago!

Incredibly impatient to find out what happens next - honestly don't know how everyone has been coping all these years!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    honestly don't know how everyone has been coping all these years!

tenor.gif

Half Life 3 coming to a Switch near you!

Don't worry.

It is only a timed exclusive.

After three months they'll release it on the other major consoles.

Dreamcast and Atari Jaguar!

Played a bit of Typing of the Dead. Didn't do too bad, I think getting used to a new keyboard is more difficult than the romaji.

The boss fight for Tower is difficult because it asks a question so it's a shot in the dark and Magician has to be a perfect/no miss shot every time but luckily he spins infinitely until you start typing so you can see the word beforehand.

FR8qMTb.jpg

KJAZnmN.jpg

yxuecB1.jpg

Played some of my recently purchased Wipeout 3, or Wip3out as this Japanese edition calls itself.
    Very nice indeed, and a definite refinement over the original NA and EU release.
    Apparently the tweaked the physics and handling to make the game a little friendlier and added some hidden tracks to unlock.
    It's not quite the package that Wipeout 3 SE represents, which adds in quite a bit, I have that in the collection as well. That was an EU only release and now fetches quite big bucks in the US and Japan.

The Wipeout games, on the PS at least, always seemed to present the best combination of visuals, music and gameplay of most games of the era and have always seemed to weather the years quite well, even the original with all the tearing and simplistic ships.
    But 2097 and 3 have been superb to look at, even decades later.

However, my recent time with Wipeout 3 has caused some sadness as it does, finally, appear quite dated now.
    I mean, it plays great especially with the aforementioned tweaks.
    Maybe the PS Vita and PS4 port of same have finally done for the old titles?

Pity then that Sony seem happy to keep the franchise on ice, releasing and re-releasing the last decent one instead.
    Though the VR update was nice.... it has to be said.

I enjoyed 2097 at the time and it was stylistically and visually stunning but by the time Wipeout 3 came along the sheen was gone and I didn't play it all that much. I just felt it was a poorer cousin to F-Zero and even the teams own rollcage games.

Last night I fired up Magic Carpet on GoG.

For all the **** Molyneaux gets, the man produced some of the all time PC greats and Magic Carpet still looks stunning. The engine is spectacular for a 1994 game. Your view might be obscured by a wall of fog but you have deformable terrain, undulating water, water reflections, undulation in said reflections, transparent shadows and even full screen anti aliasing in a 1994 release.

I spent ages messing with the CPU cycles in dosbox to get the game running at 60fps in SVGA mode, only to find that while it looked gorgeous it makes the map totally unreadable. So spent ages getting the game running properly in VGA mode.

The controls use the arrow keys instead of WASD so hoping to remap them as I've died a few times.

It's a very hard game to understand at first as it's unlike anything else on the market but once you actually figure out how to play it it's actually a very simple but fun shooter. Definitely worth digging out and playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Moleneux was involved with nothing but classics for years. That said I think he was quite hands off on some titles I don't think he'd much involvement.

I used play the game a ton on PSOne and never completed it due to difficult last few levels. It'd be fun to try on PC with a better draw distance. There's the sequel too of course.

• Advertisement

When the 3DO came out there was a massive push from EA, as Trip Hawkins was behind both companies.
    The benefit of this was the enhanced PC ports to the new, very expensive, system.
    And this included Syndicate and the marvelous Magic Carpet.
    I played Magic Carpet to death, the main campaign was pretty big as far as I remember, and a whole lot of fun, working well with the controller setup.
    It's been years since I played it though.
    The deformable nature of the game engine made it amazing, but the fixed nature of race tracks made it a poor choice for Hi-Octane, which compared really badly to Wipeout.

Rollcage and the sequel held up well next to the Wipeout series but the frame drops really hamper things, especially the second one.
    They were doing lots of effects on screen, but the poor PS didn't have the horses!

I would say that, aside from the F-Zero games which were a very different animal, the only zero-g racing title that floated my boat was Powerdrome, on the PS2, a reboot of the Amiga game afaik.
    It was terribly delayed and fell quickly into obscurity but still plays well today.

Advertisement