Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I have switched to eir recently, business account. Anyways it says I have 1GB of data in USA and unlimited calls and texts in the USA too? Sounds good to me? Details here - https://business.eir.ie/shop/shop-bundles/sim-mobile/?customer=new This is on the €20 per month eir Mobile Business Unlimited SIM

For a week a light user might get away with 1GB, the problem is if you go over the 1GB the price is €8.46 per MB so if you wanted an additional GB while there it would cost €8,460...a tad pricey.

https://business.eir.ie/roaming-rate/us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Anyone who had the 3 UK sim can you just top it up after the 12 months or is it a buy another one?

M

sioda wrote: »
    Anyone who had the 3 UK sim can you just top it up after the 12 months or is it a buy another one?

Yes you can just topup but the new topup will only last 30 days, will suit most people to just buy a new 12GB sim and start again.

I've ordered a second but not sure it will get here on time

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

The three 12GB data only sim worked a treat for me in the states. Popped it in when landed and selected a network and it worked straight away. AT&T seemed to be the fastest network with T-Mobile the worst, in Boston anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mac1961

What’s the life on these 3 SIM cards if you don’t activate them. Is it a year? Mine arrived to late, were on my doormat when I got back.

M

mac1961 wrote: »
    What’s the life on these 3 SIM cards if you don’t activate them. Is it a year? Mine arrived to late, were on my doormat when I got back.

It's a year from first use in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

If you use one of these in your phone can use the likes of WhatsApp with out issue,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Simon201 wrote: »
    Sorry about the huge non bargain alert but I was wondering were there two April the 1st's this year when I saw this!:mad:

448579.jpeg
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/roaming/

1st option 5 minutes on FB
    2nd option stream an advert maybe

That looks extremely expensive ? 500MB for Eur55 ? You'd be through that in no time.

LJ3103 wrote: »
    If you use one of these in your phone can use the likes of WhatsApp with out issue,

Yes, I used it without any difference to how it works at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The three 12GB data only sim worked a treat for me in the states. Popped it in when landed and selected a network and it worked straight away. AT&T seemed to be the fastest network with T-Mobile the worst, in Boston anyway.

im going next week, any idea of the speeds you were getting?

M

Yes, I used it without any difference to how it works at home.

Yes wondering about this, could you use your Irish SIM number for it or does it need to the the UK Three number?

I did nothing to it, and all my chats and groups worked as normal, so I assume it just keeps your Irish number and not the UK sim number.

Lenny wrote: »
    im going next week, any idea of the speeds you were getting?

All 3G, never got on LTE in downtown Boston, Cambridge or Providence etc. Perfectly usable for Spotify, podcasts, maps etc. Select AT&T wherever you can would be my advice, I connected to T-Mobile at first and it was very sluggish. American friends told me T-Mobile is the most congested network afterwards, so connected to AT&T instead and had no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

All 3G, never got on LTE in downtown Boston, Cambridge or Providence etc. Perfectly usable for Spotify, podcasts, maps etc. Select AT&T wherever you can would be my advice, I connected to T-Mobile at first and it was very sluggish. American friends told me T-Mobile is the most congested network afterwards, so connected to AT&T instead and had no bother.

I was the same when I was in New York. Couldn't get a LTE connection due to having a European phone as they use different bands over there. You can get international phones but they are rare. All the most popular phones sell to different regions.

I was the same when I was in New York. Couldn't get a LTE connection due to having a European phone as they use different bands over there. You can get international phones but they are rare. All the most popular phones sell to different regions.

I have a Nextbit Robin, bought in the US so don't think it's a problem on that score. I'd say it's more the network providers filtering roaming customers onto 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The three 12GB data only sim worked a treat for me in the states. Popped it in when landed and selected a network and it worked straight away.

Is that a three UK data only sim? Any link to ordering it?

Going to the states next month and would like to have some data without it costing a fortune. I have a dual SIM S8+, would it automatically use the second sim for roaming instead of my normal first sim?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

Works perfect I my op3 dual sim. I set my eir sim to calls and messages and the 3 sim as my data sim

M

unkel wrote: »
    I have a dual SIM S8+, would it automatically use the second sim for roaming instead of my normal first sim?

Normally the way it works is SIM1 is used for data/calls/texts and SIM2 is calls/texts only so you would put your normal SIM in SIM2.

I see I can't use my micro SD card when using 2 sims. That's not great.

• Advertisement

Yevon wrote: »
    If I order one of these 3 UK data sims can I just pop into my Samsung S8 when I land? Or do I need a Dual sim or something... Thanks.

I just inserted the sim, selected a network and it worked straight away. You don't need a dual sim, but you won't be able to call or text anyone as this is a data only sim. Of course you can just use WhatsApp/Messenger/Viber etc to call and text people instead.

Just add credit to a Skype or viber out account and call over the data connection. Has worked flawlessly for me once the coverage is good

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I bought mine here, slighty cheaper than my memory and it has mins and texts too
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F311750610913

Cheers Lenny. Mins and texts valid in the USA too?

unkel wrote: »
    Cheers Lenny. Mins and texts valid in the USA too?

i havent used mine yet, but i think the mins/texts will only be to UK numbers,
    what my plan to do was divert my mobile to my virgin landline, then divert my virgin landline(i have unlimited calls to uk numbers) to the uk mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

The bands are different but phones that can use both are not as uncommon these days.

https://willmyphonework.net/ will let you know. AFAIK iPhones 6 up are good for LTE anywhere.

The bigger issue these days is 4G roaming agreements between carriers are still lagging behind. If your phone can do 4G in the States and you're not getting it in NYC it is likely because your sim carrier and roaming network carrier haven't an agreement (or you're not on a plan that supports it.)

I've said it before in this thread but local sims are the best choice for speed in the states (though roaming 3g will do most).

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

Heading to the NY for a few days next month then off to the Dominican Republic.

DR not listed as the 71 available countries available to roam with three.
    Assuming if I get a card, it will work in US and I won't be able to connect to a network in DR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Lenny wrote: »
    I bought mine here, slighty cheaper than my memory and it has mins and texts too
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F311750610913

Just to note the one listed above only lasts for 30 days, and I think as mentioned the free texts and calls are only to UK Numbers as far as I know. Pretty sure this one is listed on MyMemory too.

But it's probably the data only one (which I believe lasts 12 months so you might get a second trip out of it) that most people are interested in, it's the one which has been discussed for most of this thread and I used it myself last summer with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ozmo

OP offer offer says Domestic only- we will have some Irish mobiles with us in the group- are there other similar offers that will let you phone roaming mobiles.
    For use in Florida and really need the data- even 1g- for maps and stuff.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Does the 3 data sim have to be activated or anything, can it be activated here or outside the UK?

Advertisement