Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poor driving on the M7 M9 upgrade

• 16-01-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭

Speed limits 60 kph you try and do that you get beeped out of it .

Garda twitter shows them pulling people ffs . I looked at a map and its 5 minutes of peoples time to drive at the limit

Am I crazy does it really need permanent policing presence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Should of went for 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

That's the arrogance of some people unfortunately, it usually takes something very serious to happen to change their mindset. If they continue to drive like that on said stretch of road they will end up killing someone, lots of people working on that road so it's very dangerous for them with speeding cars inches away.

The speed limit @ 60kmph is appropriate, 80kmph too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

Do the 60
    I was the other day and getting overtaking by coaches and all
    Its your licence,it costs enough to keep a car on the road

its a dangerous road at the best of times and bad drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I did 60kmh the other day both ways, once at 7am and the next at 12 midnight.

It was terrifying. Cars not seeing me pottering at 60kmh and jamming on the brakes at the last minutes. Trucks up my bumper.

Average speed cameras are badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I set cruise to 80/85

No issues whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Garda twitter certainly does show people being stopped - but at 140kmh, 146kmh and 130kmh but that was on N7 before the works area.

A "reasonable" speed for conditions and works at the time you are driving is unlikely to have you stopped.

80-90kmh imo is reasonable

I think an 80kmh monitored by average speed cameras would have been a better restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've no issues with those doing 60 it's the ones that religiously do 10-20 under the posted speed limit that drive me nuts particularly on that stretch. you can almost hear them saying it's not a target.

If anything in the evenings it seems to be making the traffic flow smooth out as it goes from N7 to M7

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

CeilingFly wrote: »

A "reasonable" speed for conditions and works at the time you are driving is unlikely to have you stopped.

80-90kmh imo is reasonable

I think an 80kmh monitored by average speed cameras would have been a better restriction.

If you hit a road worker at 60kph he has at least some chance of not being killed.

If you hit him at the 80-90kph that you call "reasonable" then you will most certainly kill him.

Stop being so selfish.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you hit a road worker at 60kph he has at least some chance of not being killed.

If you hit him at the 80-90kph that you call "reasonable" then you will most certainly kill him.

Stop being so selfish.

Have you seen the crash Barriers?

Stop being such a sensationalist hysterical jobsworth

• Advertisement

Did they not notice the average speed signs? They’ll get a shock in a few weeks when the f8nes and points notifications come through the door.

Did they not notice the average speed signs? They’ll get a shock in a few weeks when the f8nes and points notifications come through the door.

They wont there are no average speed cameras up there. They should be but none yet

Thry must have gone up in the last two hours, cos there were no av speed signs at 6pm when I was dropping something to cirywest and none on the way back at 7pm either.

Keep to a reasonable and safe speed for the conditions at the time you are driving and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah sure, until you're at the head of the queue doing say 75kmh and you hit a speed trap. Then no "safe speed for conditions" defence will work. You'll be getting the points and the wrist slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Trying to do 60 on this stretch (off-peak anyway) is more dangerous IMO - you are constantly watching traffic behind you up your ass and flying past you at dangerous speeds (given that the road surface is shyte between J9 and J10 outbound)

I was doing around 65-75 tonight SLOWLY overtaking some trucks and I still had a bell-end in a Range Rover flashing and putting on his indicator trying to get me to move :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

I still had a bell-end in a Range Rover flashing and putting on his indicator trying to get me to move

exactly my point, extreme muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have you seen the crash Barriers?

Stop being such a sensationalist hysterical jobsworth

You have no credibility when you come on here freely admitting that you break the law.

Thats section of the motorway is a building site with roadworkers on it for the next 2 years. There has been stacks of roadworkers killed in the UK, it is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. So slow down and show at least a modicum of respect for the lads out there working and putting their lives at risk because speeding drivers like you think their time is more important. The last thing we need is some lad trying to make a crust losing his life because drivers like you dont have a few minutes worth of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Implementing variable speed limits on the N7 would make sense. That way, there could be a graduated decrease to the 60 km/h at the road works. It would also deal with the stop-start that happens along the N7 - reduced to about 20 km/h a few weeks ago because of people racing up behind other drivers and then braking harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm staggered that people would even think of breaking the 60kph limit. I drive that section every day and its dangerous at the best of times, let alone with workers and plant machinery moving around to provide distractions. Throw weather, added mud and barrier layout into the equation and it can be really challenging even to an experienced driver.

Lets face it, its a 13.5Km section which would take you just under 14 minutes at 60Kph or just over 10 minutes at 80Kph. Is saving 4 minutes really worth the risk

I'm staggered that people would even think of breaking the 60kph limit. I drive that section every day and its dangerous at the best of times, let alone with workers and plant machinery moving around to provide distractions. Throw weather, added mud and barrier layout into the equation and it can be really challenging even to an experienced driver.

Lets face it, its a 13.5Km section which would take you just under 14 minutes at 60Kph or just over 10 minutes at 80Kph. Is saving 4 minutes really worth the risk

Honestly if you find that section difficult or challenging in anyway you really shouldn't be on the road.

I was only commenting the other day that they have the lanes set out very well and allows for seamless transfer from typical lanes to hard shoulder.

I'd agree with you on the speeding and to be honest without average speed cameras it's near impossible to enforce and everyone speeding knows this. The first car will always be the one to get caught then the ripple effect of people jamming on will begin and this is where the dangers will occur. Lads on their phones etc swerving to avoid the car in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've only been driving this stretch of roadworks at rush hour eastbound.
    I'm driving 15 years and no way would I feel safe doing 80.

Ok, maybe when not rush hour, it would feel grand doing 80, but just NOT worth saving a couple minutes when risking lives, breaking law.

You have no credibility when you come on here freely admitting that you break the law.

Thats section of the motorway is a building site with roadworkers on it for the next 2 years. There has been stacks of roadworkers killed in the UK, it is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. So slow down and show at least a modicum of respect for the lads out there working and putting their lives at risk because speeding drivers like you think their time is more important. The last thing we need is some lad trying to make a crust losing his life because drivers like you dont have a few minutes worth of patience.

Its a pity you have the inability to read and understand posts.

I clearly said a speed that is suitable for the conditions at the time you are driving. CURRENTLY with no works and no workmen, 80 kmh is boith safe and reasonable and is effectively keeping up with traffic.

If there are works ging on a a gang of guys working, a slower speed would be suitable.

But we are talking using very basic COMMON SENSE which is what the gardai use too, and keeping to a resonable speed to take account of the conditions you have at the time of driving.

Maybe you don't believe in basic common sense and prefer a hitleresque attitude?

There has been stacks of roadworkers killed in the UK, it is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. .

Pure SENSATIONALISAT HYSTERICAL rubbish,

OFFICIAL Figures

From January 1st 2011 to 30th June 2017 - that's 5 1/2 years, the total of servcie workers killed in the UK during works was 4.

Now, one is too many, but that figure includes fatalities of all types and just ne of those four was a fatality caused by a vehicle unconnected with the works.

Now considering the thousands of works undertaken in the UK, that's a fairly good record.

How "One" becomes "Stacks" I simply don't knwo.

Less of the hysterical BS is you want to win an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Pure SENSATIONALISAT HYSTERICAL rubbish,

OFFICIAL Figures

From January 1st 2011 to 30th June 2017 - that's 5 1/2 years, the total of servcie workers killed in the UK during works was 4.

Now, one is too many, but that figure includes fatalities of all types and just ne of those four was a fatality caused by a vehicle unconnected with the works.

Now considering the thousands of works undertaken in the UK, that's a fairly good record.

How "One" becomes "Stacks" I simply don't knwo.

Less of the hysterical BS is you want to win an argument.

Your figures dont tell quite the full story. The fatalities are down a lot since 2011 yes but so too is the capital spending on road projects. During the times when construction was more prevalent, so too were the fatalities. In 2010 for example there were 6 deaths alone. (Why did you pick 2011 to start your comparison)

The Road Worker Safety Forum (RoWSaF) in the UK claims that the average fatality rate for those working on the roads in the UK is one of the highest among all employment sectors. So the other poster may be correct in saying it is one of the most dangerous jobs out there.

And although the fatalities are down, the occurrence of serious injuries are as high as ever. (arguably much higher when change in reporting methodology is considered).

I drive this stretch of road at least twice a day, usually 7 days a week, and people are driving like complete asshats. Somebody is going to be seriously hurt in the next 2 years if it is not addressed.

I imagine that the average speed cameras will be back. They were used on the same stretch fairly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

All I can say to the road works speeders who have blatant disregard for the workers trying to make a living, is if you are prepared to flout the law then be prepared to serve 10 years and in jail and or cough up € 20,000 not to mention the civil case that will be taken against you by the injured parties relatives who will come after you for killing or seriously injuring their loved one.

If someone baseball batted a person around an office they would be arrested and charged. For the workers and staff working out on that project the motorway is their office, if the travelling public want to speed thru in their vehicle (the baseball bat) and take the risk of potentially killing someone or at best leaving them with life changing injuries then you will be arrested and charged.

Road Traffic Act 1961 (Revised) Dangerous driving.

53. — (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place in a manner (including speed) which having regard to all the circumstances of the case (including the condition of the vehicle, the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be in it) is or is likely to be dangerous to the public.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and —

( a ) in case the contravention causes death or serious bodily harm to another person, he or she is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to a fine not exceeding € 20,000 or to both, and

( b ) in any other case, he or she is liable on summary conviction to a class A fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

Why can folks not just slow down rather than be a total <insert suitable expletive here> about trying to save 1 maybe 2 minutes off your journey time? Is two minutes of your time really worth losing your freedom, your job, maybe your house and family over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

lets face it , in this Country if you posted a 80 limit people would be on here saying they set their CC to 100..... setting the limit at 60 at least ensures most people won't be topping 80 or so! An Irish peculiarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

Isambard wrote: »
    lets face it , in this Country if you posted a 80 limit people would be on here saying they set their CC to 100..... setting the limit at 60 at least ensures most people won't be topping 80 or so! An Irish peculiarity.

If they ever implemented UK-style Smart Motorways in Ireland there would be uproar. It isn't enjoyable driving through average speed limited roads but I have respect for the workers involved and know it is necessary for safety. God knows there are enough idiots on the roads here as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Its set at 60kph. There's no hard shoulder. The operating lanes are narrower. It carries a lot of traffic all day, everyday. There will soon be a serious amount of work going on behind the barriers. There is specific work going on behind those barriers right now.

WTF is anyones problem with 60kph? Seriously!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Its set at 60kph. There's no hard shoulder. The operating lanes are narrower. It carries a lot of traffic all day, everyday. There will soon be a serious amount of work going on behind the barriers. There is specific work going on behind those barriers right now.

WTF is anyones problem with 60kph? Seriously!:rolleyes:

Passed through it this morning and set cc at 60.Had guys driving up my rear and fuel tankers passing me like I was stopped.Do people realise that there is only a difference of seconds involved here!Only a matter of time before a sneaky speed check is done here because of the loopers driving at 100/120 through it.

• Advertisement

magentis wrote: »
    Passed through it this morning and set cc at 60.Had guys driving up my rear and fuel tankers passing me like I was stopped.Do people realise that there is only a difference of seconds involved here!Only a matter of time before a sneaky speed check is done here because of the loopers driving at 100/120 through it.

My dear departed dad, when teaching me to drive, told me to always stay on the correct side of the road and within the speed limit “and let other fecking eegits do as they wished “

Advertisement