Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Gen10 Microserver was released, believe there is another discount system

Ah stop. I don't need one. But I want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

I don't have any more information besides this link

https://www.serversdirect.co.uk/p/1213893/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-amd-opteron-x3216-dual-core-3.4-ghz-8gb-4-x-non-hotplug

But looking at the pdf that's in the page it seems, for the UK anyways, that there's 50 GBP off both the Gen 8 and the Gen 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Careful with Serversdirect cash back deals, my claim was turned down by HP on the basis the product didn't originate in the UK.
    Serversdirect response was to send product back for a full refund at my shipping expense.
    They were difficult to deal with, not full of praise for HP for their stance on this although it is a good product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

stimpson wrote: »
    Ah stop. I don't need one. But I want one.

I was in the same boat but then I don't see it being an improvement over the last gen depending on what CPU you have installed. The best gen10 shipped CPU isn't as good as the best CPU you could drop into the last gen and you lose LILO. Ummmmm

Anyone after a Intel E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz CPU for their Gen9? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I was in the same boat but then I don't see it being an improvement over the last gen depending on what CPU you have installed. The best gen10 shipped CPU isn't as good as the best CPU you could drop into the last gen and you lose LILO. Ummmmm

Anyone after a Intel E3-1220L V2 @ 2.30GHz CPU for their Gen9? :D

Yeah. Very disappointing when I read the reviews. I'm planning on going rackmount for the next server anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I ended up with a Dell T20 Server (midi tower size) when a member here offered one for sale, slapped a E3-1225 V3 and a lot of RAM but it never really got used as a server and its now my main PC.

So that still leaves me looking for a MicroServer as the old desktop I use as a server is getting less reliable :o but I don't really see Gen 10 as making it onto my shopping list. Hopefully there will be some cheap Gen 8's available second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Hi

Power supply has gone faulty on my Microserver N40l. Anyone know where to buy replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

joe250 wrote: »
    Hi

Power supply has gone faulty on my Microserver N40l. Anyone know where to buy replacement?

Does https://www.kustompcs.co.uk/components/power-supplies/dc-boards-ac-adapters/seasonic-ss-300m1u-80plus-gold-300w-1u-power-supply/ look like one that would fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

grogi wrote: »

Yes that looks like it.The one in the server is 150w power supply.

Never too much power... You'll end up with a few additional plugs too. But https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/8995-replacement-power-supply-for-microserver suggests it works fine in N40l.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I bought from LaptopsDirect using one of these cash back deals.

HP refused to pay the cashback on the basis the product sold to me originated outside the UK. LaptopsDirect dragged their response out finally offering a return for credit.

In the meantime, I had built up the device and it was in service, wasn't worth my while returning. Beware!

Last time I'll use LaptopsDirect.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Last time I'll use LaptopsDirect.

I've got mine years ago from Dabs, but confirmed with HP it will qualify for the cashback...

There is 200W and 250W versions as well - SS-200SU and SS-250SU. The latter is sold by Scan: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/250w-seasonic-ss-250su-80plus-bronze-1u-psu-50-60-hz-80-efficiency-sata-hdd-fdd But you would have to confirm it comes with required connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Is the cashback offer still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Has anyone updated this to Win10? I got two of these units and upgraded both to Win10.

But there appears to be an issue with the network card on the ugrade. Anyone else experience issues? I still haven't been able to sort on either machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Dummy wrote: »
    Has anyone updated this to Win10? I got two of these units and upgraded both to Win10.

But there appears to be an issue with the network card on the ugrade. Anyone else experience issues? I still haven't been able to sort on either machine.

Which version of the microserver do you have?

I have the N40L.
    Upgraded it to windows 10 a good while ago and can't remember having any network issues.

You should be able to use the windows 7 driver for the network card.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Dummy wrote: »

same issue here. I have to uninstall and reinstall drivers after every reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Remouad wrote: »
    Which version of the microserver do you have?

I have the N40L.
    Upgraded it to windows 10 a good while ago and can't remember having any network issues.

You should be able to use the windows 7 driver for the network card.

I tried the Win7 drivers and still not working.

Nforce wrote: »

No I have not upgraded the BIOS. Will do this at the weekend.

Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well the PSU seems to be gone (or worse) in my old N40L as it blows the fuse in the plug and is totally dead. I have Xpenology on it and it has been a great servant down the years (bought in February 2012).

I'm looking online and PSU replacements seem to be like hen's teeth. I would ideally like to look at updating to a newer model but would like to keep my files by running Xpenology (currently on a USB stick) and my 4x HDD with my data.

Has anyone did similar or have any advice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Panrich wrote: »
    Well the PSU seems to be gone (or worse) in my old N40L as it blows the fuse in the plug and is totally dead. I have Xpenology on it and it has been a great servant down the years (bought in February 2012).

I'm looking online and PSU replacements seem to be like hen's teeth. I would ideally like to look at updating to a newer model but would like to keep my files by running Xpenology (currently on a USB stick) and my 4x HDD with my data.

find similar mobo with four sata ports and run xpenology of it.
    If you have spare disk you can test with it - to check which sata port is 1,2,3,4 and so on.
    This way you can access data.
    Or you can check with different psu
    https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/8511-n40l-psu-failure/

Tom

Panrich wrote: »

They seem to be using 1U PSU. Seasonic makes them - should be easy enough to get a replacement without the mainboard/case/software dramma.

First one that I found: https://www.amazon.co.uk/INTER-TECH-88882134-PSU-Seasonic-SS-250SU/dp/B00CBJ2D9O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I think any of the pico PSU's would fit also, but won't be a direct replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Does anyone know if there's a market for these second-hand? I'm about to move and have a Gen 7 and Gen 8 plus HDDs that I'm planning to sell, but have no idea where to post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Does anyone know if there's a market for these second-hand? I'm about to move and have a Gen 7 and Gen 8 plus HDDs that I'm planning to sell, but have no idea where to post them.

Sick them on eBay if you can be bothered. Just taken a quick look and there is a Gen 7 and Gen 8 that are attracting bids. I can also remember a gen 8 with 12TB of storage made about €350 recently - you can search for recently sold items to see what prices are like - obviously they aren't guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Adverts.ie is good too in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

Was looking at the Gen 10 myself for a home lab but might be interested in the Gen 8 myself as only getting started, pm me the details/price.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

Likewise, you can PM me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have one of these, Gen 8 I think. Barely ever used. Bought a Synology instead.
    Based in Limerick, open to reasonable offers.

Advertisement