Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing brand new bike from UK

Options
  • 28-07-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Have searched and didn't find a suitable answer.

I'm considering buying a new bike in the UK (Z650).

VRT is listed as €999 which is grand.

My main question is around VAT.

Has anyone claimed the VAT back on a brand new import? If so is there a guide as to how to do it.

Also, the current rate of VAT in the UK is 20% and Ireland 23%. In the recent government announcement the VAT rate is to be reduced to 21%, will this be applicable to the likes of bikes etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jim salter wrote: »
    Have searched and didn't find a suitable answer.

I'm considering buying a new bike in the UK (Z650).

VRT is listed as €999 which is grand.

My main question is around VAT.

Has anyone claimed the VAT back on a brand new import? If so is there a guide as to how to do it.

Also, the current rate of VAT in the UK is 20% and Ireland 23%. In the recent government announcement the VAT rate is to be reduced to 21%, will this be applicable to the likes of bikes etc?

Thanks.

You have to get the dealer to sell it to you vat free first in the UK . Possible but also very difficult id assume.

Vat or payable here in NCT office when you walk in the vat should be charged at rate of time of import. I.e when it hits the Terra Firma I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

listermint wrote: »
    You have to get the dealer to sell it to you vat free first in the UK . Possible but also very difficult id assume.

Vat or payable here in NCT office when you walk in the vat should be charged at rate of time of import. I.e when it hits the Terra Firma I believe.

Thanks for the reply.

Have been reading on other forums since posting that a few people had the experience of having to pay UK VAT (20%), paying the VRT & Irish VAT (23% at the time) and then proving (to the UK revenue) that the Irish VAT is paid in order to claim back the original (UK) VAT :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

It's a total pain.

Unless you are getting a decent saving and the dealer knows how it works, don't bother.

McCallens and Hurst will be able to help out for sure, not sure about the other dealers up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not that difficult to avoid the VAT. Get the dealer to fill in form 411 and you get it VAT free, if your dealer doesn't know about it try a different one.

colm_c wrote: »
    It's a total pain.

Unless you are getting a decent saving and the dealer knows how it works, don't bother.

McCallens and Hurst will be able to help out for sure, not sure about the other dealers up north.

Thanks for that.

Have emailed Mccallens :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I bought a new BMW from Charles Hurst in Belfast on the 1st of July. I've an appointment this Friday with VRT people and VAT is due then. It'll be around 6 grand :(

Still worked out cheaper than buying from Joe Duffys and a lot less hassle. Charles Hurst will refund me the VAT I originally paid then.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I bought a new BMW from Charles Hurst in Belfast on the 1st of July. I've an appointment this Friday with VRT people and VAT is due then. It'll be around 6 grand :(

Still worked out cheaper than buying from Joe Duffys and a lot less hassle. Charles Hurst will refund me the VAT I originally paid then.

The bike I'm looking at is on the VRT calculator at €999 so I assume that's what I would pay in VRT. Is the BMW you bought on the VRT calculator?

Apart from VAT are there any other charges?

The refund from the UK dealer is what others have said on other forums

The bike I'm looking at is on the VRT calculator at €999 so I assume that's what I would pay in VRT. Is the BMW you bought on the VRT calculator?

Apart from VAT are there any other charges?

The refund from the UK dealer is what others have said on other forums

There are no bikes viewable on the VRT system online. Its calculated by the engine size and date of registration. How did you get the €999 ?

No other charges apart from those two.

Now for the important question.

What bike are you looking at?

There are no bikes viewable on the VRT system online. Its calculated by the engine size and date of registration. How did you get the €999 ?

No other charges apart from those two.

Sorry, yeah, the date of 1st registration and the engine CC's return a value of €999

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e2s3

Are there other factors which will affect this?

Having VRT'd a few cars it can be a pain, would hope with a bike it would be more straightforward.

• Advertisement

Now for the important question.

What bike are you looking at?

2020 Z650

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

It's a total pain.

McCallens will, Hurst won't. Hurst could not help me in that regard with a BMW early this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

2020 Z650

McCallens are a Kawasaki dealer.I bought my ER6f off them new

Has anyone been asked for a COC to register their new bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Has anyone been asked for a COC to register their new bike ?

No, but I got the dealer to reg it at the shop first- that way I just traded the V5C in. Much simpler.

As for OPs VAT question, the answer is simple. You pay UK VAT, then when you register it and pay Irish VAT, the UK will refund it. So yes, you temporarily have to fund the 2 VAT amounts.

Tbh, if I could get a reasonable deal here, I wouldn't bother again.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    No, but I got the dealer to reg it at the shop first- that way I just traded the V5C in. Much simpler.

Grand stuff, I did the same. Just going down through my check list before Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As for OPs VAT question, the answer is simple. You pay UK VAT, then when you register it and pay Irish VAT, the UK will refund it. So yes, you temporarily have to fund the 2 VAT amounts.

Tbh, if I could get a reasonable deal here, I wouldn't bother again.

You don't need to pay UK VAT if you use the 411 export form.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You don't need to pay UK VAT if you use the 411 export form.

Why aren't the dealers offering this as an option ? It would have been a lot less spendy not having to temporarily pay the VAT twice.

Why aren't the dealers offering this as an option ? It would have been a lot less spendy not having to temporarily pay the VAT twice.

I think it's down to risk.

They would be stung for the VAT if you didn't register it in ROI.

I think it's down to risk.

They would be stung for the VAT if you didn't register it in ROI.

Come to think of it the sales manager in Charles Hurst said they've been burned by Southerners a couple of times with VAT issues and dodgy bank drafts.

• Advertisement

I really don't mind paying the tax in both jurisdictions once I can claim it back in either.

Still think there is a saving on a 2020 Z650. (£6649 McCallens /€7300) + €999 = €8300 (may work out slightly less even with the 1% higher VAT rate in RoI

Bikeworld €8950

Unless there are any other charges I am not considering (apart from travelling to the North) there may be savings to be made.

Only other thing is Bikeworld will take a trade in not sure if McCallens will (on a southern reg bike - I know that UK car dealers (i have contacted) won't take a trade of an Irish reg car)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I really don't mind paying the tax in both jurisdictions once I can claim it back in either.

Still think there is a saving on a 2020 Z650. (£6649 McCallens /€7300) + €999 = €8300 (may work out slightly less even with the 1% higher VAT rate in RoI

Bikeworld €8950

Unless there are any other charges I am not considering (apart from travelling to the North) there may be savings to be made.

Only other thing is Bikeworld will take a trade in not sure if McCallens will (on a southern reg bike - I know that UK car dealers (i have contacted) won't take a trade of an Irish reg car)

Some ni dealers will sell ex vat if you have a legitimate vat number.
    Seems a lot if hassle otherwise, as getting uk vat refund might take ages, there may be commission charged to exchange currency 100 to 200. If they reg it you're the second owner. See if bikeworld would do it for 8650 cash, save you a day trip too! Also the first service would mean another trip up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bikeworld €8950

Got to be honest: saving €600 is nowhere near worth the bother of importing. That Bikeworld price is rip, not the final price btw.

I'd find a dealer here that would at least attempt to close the gap. Or do you a deal on the first service or gear, or something.

Warranty alone is important.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

I just got prices on collecting a bike in Brighton back to Kildare and it ranged from €500(Irish Lad) down as far as €280(UK Company but i'll be going with Ted's Trucking at €340

Got to be honest: saving €600 is nowhere near worth the bother of importing. That Bikeworld price is rip, not the final price btw.

I'd find a dealer here that would at least attempt to close the gap. Or do you a deal on the first service or gear, or something.

Warranty alone is important.

When you say it's not the final price, what do you mean? The price on the website was (I think) €8650 and when I called it was €8950

Also, McCallens have come back to me to say they would take a trade in. Don't know what value they would offer.

I have my ER6 up for sale privately so will see if there is any interest there first.

Also, I notice that in the UK PCP is offered on bikes but not here - anyone know why? (I am not gonna try get PCP from a UK dealer)

McCallens have come back with a trade in value for my bike against a Z650 and it's about what I expected.

Annnd yet another post.

Again McCallens have come back to say the price will be + 'on the road fees' of £55 and road tax of £93 (????) anyone know why I would be paying years road tax on the north when the bike will be brought to the south on day of purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Annnd yet another post.

Again McCallens have come back to say the price will be + 'on the road fees' of £55 and road tax of £93 (????) anyone know why I would be paying years road tax on the north when the bike will be brought to the south on day of purchase?

Are you riding it out of the shop? Will need to be taxed to get to the border. Albeit for half an hour's drive to be legal.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Are you riding it out of the shop? Will need to be taxed to get to the border. Albeit for half an hour's drive to be legal.

The intention would have been to but it seems like it's gonna be more hassle than it's worth.

They weren't willing to help with the 411 form and simply said the VAT & VRT weren't due until the bike was registered in Ireland :rolleyes:

Will probably end up staying with purchasing in the south

Advertisement