Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm 18, just got my A2 license, turns out I can't insure any of the bikes I wanted to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Damo_108 wrote: »
    Sorry I probably should've phrased it better, I'm just comparing the maximum speed these bikes are capable of, I'm taking account of different factors that will determine how the bike drives. For example, I know for a fact you can achieve 60-70kmph on the first gear on a CBR 600rr before you have to switch to second gear to go any faster. On a cruiser, I can make a guess that you can't go any faster than 40kmph on first gear and it would take much longer to reach that speed, which is obviously better for a new biker, going slower making me less of a hazard for myself and other people, and giving me more reaction time. To clarify, I'm looking for a bike I can both enjoy and learn on, not looking to go fast.

Why are you comparing Cruiser speed with a racing or touring bike speed?

You may as well compare an old Rolls Royce with a Lamborghini, they're made for two different tasks.

I can tell you for sure that a Dragstar 650 will go above 150km/h, but I really can't see why you'd want to, as the bike simply isn't designed for it and it's way above the actual limit.

Clearly you know about bikes, but be smart man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sorry I probably should've phrased it better, I'm just comparing the maximum speed these bikes are capable of, I'm taking account of different factors that will determine how the bike drives. For example, I know for a fact you can achieve 60-70kmph on the first gear on a CBR 600rr before you have to switch to second gear to go any faster. On a cruiser, I can make a guess that you can't go any faster than 40kmph on first gear and it would take much longer to reach that speed, which is obviously better for a new biker, going slower making me less of a hazard for myself and other people, and giving me more reaction time. To clarify, I'm looking for a bike I can both enjoy and learn on, not looking to go fast.

The other part, as my aul lad says, is that "Anyone can go fast. It takes a skilled driver to be able to stop safely."

Don't worry about speed, get the skills down first as the lads say. By the time your first year is up, you'll likely be wanting and more importantly READY for a more powerful bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sonics2k wrote: »

You may as well compare an old Rolls Royce with a Lamborghini, they're made for two different tasks.

I can tell you for sure that a Dragstar 650 will go above 150km/h, but I really can't see why you'd want to, as the bike simply isn't designed for it and it's way above the actual limit.

To be fair to him, he hasn't come on here saying, is an R1 a good starter bike, like the usual rubbish on here. He's asked about getting insured on a couple of low cc A2 bikes. It's better to have a bike that tops out at a higher speed so you're not ringing its neck at motorway speeds. He's got his A2, I wouldn't want to be on an A1 either if I was him but it might be inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Damo_108

Sonics2k wrote: »

Yes of course, my dad has a CBR 600rr so I compare other bikes to it, I have an interest in sports bikes but knowing the aggressive throttle response and their speed capabilities I prefer to get a slow cruiser especially as a learner. I'm most certainly not trying to go 140/150kmph on a Virago, I want to go slow, especially when I'm learning to ride in traffic. I'm just using those values to compare bikes. Sorry I have a tendency go into great detail and then it confuses everyone, including myself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MJH17

I'm 59 and my bike is a Triumph 900cc Scrambler, insurance is less than €150 third party fire and theft ....... I'd still prefer to be 18 though !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

MJH17 wrote: »
    I'd still prefer to be 18 though !!!!

Would you? I would take 30 but would hate to be 18 again

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Just bite the bullet on a 125 man... we've all been there. Buy a clean one that's a couple of years old and you'll probably sell it next year for similar money I'd imagine. I had issues with getting a quote from a company this year even though Ive 10 years NCB, full license etc. as I have to leave my bike in my garden locked to a ground anchor so dealing with poor insurance companies is just something you'll need to get used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just bite the bullet on a 125 man... we've all been there. Buy a clean one that's a couple of years old and you'll probably sell it next year for similar money I'd imagine. I had issues with getting a quote from a company this year even though Ive 10 years NCB, full license etc. as I have to leave my bike in my garden locked to a ground anchor so dealing with poor insurance companies is just something you'll need to get used to!

I disagree: my young lad has one, and the sooner he's off it and on to a bigger one, the better.

When we started, 125s were faster than local traffic: 1.0 Fiestas etc. Nowadays young lads are driving 2.0 Tdi and a 125 is a mobile roadblock, unable to stay out of and get out of, harms way.

There's bound to be insurable 250s out there.

OP - whats your budget?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

If there's a decent cb400 anywhere, you could pick one of those up, cheaper to insure, a grand bit of power and fairly hardy bikes. Just watch the mileage as you don't want to get an ex courier one.

This is a really rubbish position to be in.

I'm a female and never had any issues with insurance. I thought all this BS about pricing young men out of the market was done with. Insurance companies make my blood boil so I can't even imagine how annoyed you are.

If there's a decent cb400 anywhere, you could pick one of those up, cheaper to insure, a grand bit of power and fairly hardy bikes. Just watch the mileage as you don't want to get an ex courier one.

I'm a female and never had any issues with insurance. I thought all this BS about pricing young men out of the market was done with. Insurance companies make my blood boil so I can't even imagine how annoyed you are.

With a daughter who was driving at 17, and and a son now who can't even get on as a named driver, I can assure you the young lad targeting is alive and well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

galwaytt wrote: »
    With a daughter who was driving at 17, and and a son now who can't even get on as a named driver, I can assure you the young lad targeting is alive and well.

Was exactly the same back in 2002... Quote to be named on a extremely high powered speed machine of a Nissan primera 1.6 petrol no turbo needed it's that quick..... €6,500

I had oy option of bike then so got a 250 fzr and it was just under €3k

I've never seen any major drop and gear on year my insurance has gone up. Trade policy is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Vikings wrote: »
    Try something like a Varadero 125 see what quotes insurance give you on that. Will be a tall comfy bike that you can increase your skills on and become a better rider. Riding is about observation skills as much as handling skills.

Speed should be your last criteria on your first bike.

My young fella got one of these as his first bike a few years ago. What a superb machine. I loved it as much as he did and it certainly felt a lot bigger than a 125.
    He sold it after 2 years and got the same money back for it as he paid for it. I was half tempted to keep it myself as I found it brilliant as an all-rounder.
    Just reading this now I'm half sorry I didn't :(

Good advice but I think the 400 is in the same or similar insurance bracket as the ninja etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

I disagree: my young lad has one, and the sooner he's off it and on to a bigger one, the better.

Same here.
    When we started, 125s were faster than local traffic: 1.0 Fiestas etc. Nowadays young lads are driving 2.0 Tdi and a 125 is a mobile roadblock, unable to stay out of and get out of, harms way.

That - in part - was the logic behind the A2 license at EU level. There was a recognition that 125cc machines were simply too slow outside of urban limits. The A2 was intended to give younger riders access to usable machines up to 47bhp while building up experience. They didn't factor in Irish insurance companies however.

OP - whats your budget?

Surprised there's not more 250s about. They used to be a thing. Honda nailed the A2 market segment with the CB500 range, shame they didn't do something similar with a 250 series for insurance hindered markets like ours.

MJH17 wrote: »
    I'm 59 and my bike is a Triumph 900cc Scrambler, insurance is less than €150 third party fire and theft ....... I'd still prefer to be 18 though !!!!

One of the best posts this year. :-)

zubair wrote: »
    Good advice but I think the 400 is in the same or similar insurance bracket as the ninja etc.

It'd be worth the OP checking to see though, they're not sexy machines so they might be insurable. Again I got it no bother as my first bike.

And OP, if a CB400 does interest you, let me know. Mine is for sale and I can vouch for it being a solid machine that'll see you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

The chicks won't know the difference whether it's a 125 or 250

I know everthing is gone metric now, but what's that in inches......!! ;-)......

Asking for a friend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Oh, would it be? Jesus, they're not exactly beasts! They're a grand first bike with just the right amount of power for a new rider and hardy enough for the longer drives.

Oh, would it be? Jesus, they're not exactly beasts! They're a grand first bike with just the right amount of power for a new rider and hardy enough for the longer drives.

I meant the ninja 250 as the OP suggested this themselves, just in case you thought I meant the 600+.

They've a surprising amount of pep to them for a 400, and physically they look bigger than you'd expect from a 400.
    Quick acceleration does start to run out of steam after about 80km/h, but I did a year commuting up and down the M1 at 120km/h on mine.
    It's not ideal for longer drives due to the lack of wind protection, but they're absolutely savage for city driving and non-motorway roads.

The fact I was happy with mine for five years speaks to how good they are, so hopefully they're insurable for younger riders.
    The chap I did my first IBT with said if it wasn't for insurance companies requiring newer bikes, he'd still be using the CB400s with learners.

• Advertisement

The chap I did my first IBT with said if it wasn't for insurance companies requiring newer bikes, he'd still be using the CB400s with learners.

Get a newer bike and they shaft you on value sitting in your garden.

Would the cb250f or cbf250 be options? Both are in a lower category to the ninja250.

Would the cb250f or cbf250 be options? Both are in a lower category to the ninja250.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/benelli-bn251/25317113

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/1999-honda-cb250-hornet/25380760

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbf250/24594089

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Thats more a thing for cars as far as im aware,
    My insurance hates me having a 06 car, but the age of the motorcycle is less of a factor than the location you're keeping it in.

OP - whats your budget?

Not much, 3000 max, but the smaller the insurance the better. I think it's wiser to just do as the others have said, get a 125 for a year or so, not worry about dropping it, and then upgrade. Also driving slow for starters isn't that bad, joke's on the lads who are going too fast and will eventually crash.

They look nice, but are a bigger investment, more expensive = more stress riding it. I think I'll do as the others have advised, do the time on a 125, get a no claims bonus, and only then upgrade.

It'd be worth the OP checking to see though, they're not sexy machines so they might be insurable. Again I got it no bother as my first bike.

And OP, if a CB400 does interest you, let me know. Mine is for sale and I can vouch for it being a solid machine that'll see you well.

I could be interested but after doing the research, it looks like I can barely insure some 250s, not to mention the insurance cost is ridiculous. I've lost hope about getting what I wanted, for now. Then again, time flies, I'll be able to get my A license in 2 years, I hope that comes with some benefits.

ForestFire wrote: »
    I know everthing is gone metric now, but what's that in inches......!! ;-)......

Asking for a friend.....

XD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I could be interested but after doing the research, it looks like I can barely insure some 250s, not to mention the insurance cost is ridiculous. I've lost hope about getting what I wanted, for now. Then again, time flies, I'll be able to get my A license in 2 years, I hope that comes with some benefits.

Your wallet will thank you.
    a 125 is a grand bike, look out for a honda Vandero, they're a seriously good bike.

if you want something fancy at that engine size, Mutt do a 125 scrambler bike.

Make sure to go for the test on the A2 license if you plan on doing progressive. And remember, you'll have the same problem again trying to get insured on an A. But as I said before, you'll just have to serve your time, get some NCB behind you and it will get easier. You'll still have fun on whatever you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Saw a learner on a gsxr600 what a joke. Way too much bike for them

Advertisement