Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yamaha XJ750 Project - Cafe Racer type thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

A friend of mine offered me a set of front forks from a GSXR 1000 K7. I tried one to get an idea of looks etc. I think they are too short and the front would probably have to be dropped to much to make them fit.
    6Nc5sYA.jpg

wLGRHaC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Would look great..i have a set on my cafe racer..it lowers the bike a bit but it just enhances the looks .....

Would look great..i have a set on my cafe racer..it lowers the bike a bit but it just enhances the looks .....

Will lowering it that much upset the handling though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

gn3dr wrote: »
    Will lowering it that much upset the handling though?

It sure will and you could ground out on the brakes and in bends.
    You could turn some extensions to thread into the id of the forks to make them longer. Common mod for this craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

H_Lime wrote: »
    You could turn some extensions to thread into the id of the forks to make them longer. Common mod for this craic.

Do you mean to replace the fork caps with extended parts?

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Do you mean to replace the fork caps with extended parts?

Yep, have a friend doing just that on his cbx with r1 forks.

Can you accommodate adjustable for tops doing it this way or are you restricted to basic forks?

Sure can
    https://youtu.be/f2ONbOPvmL0
    He has a lathe so is making his version of this, pretty straight forward.
    I was going to go this route with my gs1000 but decided oem resto as may sell it.

Sure can
    I was going to go this route with my gs1000 but decided oem resto as may sell it.

Wouldn't it need a longer spring too?

Sure can

Hmmm That's interesting - dead simple really. I have to weigh up whether I want to go to the hassle of sourcing a different wheel / axle etc.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Wouldn't it need a longer spring too?
    The spring is contained in the cartridge assembly which is unaffected. Its bridged by an added spacer to cover the distance. Longer fork, same preload.
    A damper rod fork with external spring preload adj might need a longer spacer. When I revalved my forks I do this (well, in reverse) most times to arrive at ideal preload/static sag. This is necessary as the Dr forks are externally un adjustable, heres a pic https://ibb.co/w66Wb37
    Hmmm That's interesting - dead simple really. I have to weigh up whether I want to go to the hassle of sourcing a different wheel / axle etc.
    If you go that route its a concern alright but those parts are fairly generic within the Suzuki range tho. Rim widths and disc offsets etc can be common on a lot of those models and ebay is your friend.
    It depends on where you want to spend money and what you want the bike to be I suppose. Is the engine a known quantity?

As ive said i've fitted USD's to my bike.no extensions needed....improved the handling, quicker steering..better brakes...i've had it around Mondello....best craic ever...;)

If you go that route its a concern alright but those parts are fairly generic within the Suzuki range tho. Rim widths and disc offsets etc can be common on a lot of those models and ebay is your friend.
    It depends on where you want to spend money and what you want the bike to be I suppose. Is the engine a known quantity?

The engine was supposed to be running but that's based on the seller info. I'll have to verify that yet. Need to get new carb rubber inlet tracts first , one missing and the rest are hard and cracked.
    This is a low budget build really, mainly for the metal shaping experience.
    As ive said i've fitted USD's to my bike.no extensions needed....improved the handling, quicker steering..better brakes...i've had it around Mondello....best craic ever...;)

What bike is it? Any pics?

Cool, love to see pics, find builds like that interesting.
    My point about parts swapping esp anything altering geometry is theres obviously a risk of instability and ground clearance/fork travel hindrances. If they are not accounted for, well you know the craic that can happen.
    Even seen it happen with crash bars that lock a front wheel on full compression stroke of fork!

The engine was supposed to be running but that's based on the seller info. I'll have to verify that yet. Need to get new carb rubber inlet tracts first , one missing and the rest are hard and cracked.
    This is a low budget build really, mainly for the metal shaping experience.

What bike is it? Any pics?
    Maybe whip the genny cover off and plugs and see does she cycle. A compression test then. Be a shame to blow good monzo on a front end if.....i won't say it:eek:

Maybe whip the genny cover off and plugs and see does she cycle. A compression test then. Be a shame to blow good monzo on a front end if.....i won't say it:eek:

Yeah I hear you.
    I know it turns over OK because I had to verify the starter was working after I fixed a connection on it. I'll keep going with the bodywork first I think and start looking at all that stuff then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

19 inch front wheel with gsxr forks might give you standard height (and weird ass handling).....:)

lennymc wrote: »
    19 inch front wheel with gsxr forks might give you standard height (and weird ass handling).....:)

I've a 18 inch front with a 80 tyre....handles like a Panigale.......:D

lennymc wrote: »

Not a bad idea but it already has a 19" wheel as standard :)

You finished already..............:D

$_86.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

I really want a cafe racer now.....

$_86.JPG

Not mad on the cafe thing but I like that, is it your max?

$_86.JPG

I've a bit to go yet.:)
    The tank on that is really long, must be a bit of a stretch riding it.

Not mad on the cafe thing but I like that, is it your max?

Nah...mine's nicer....:D

I've a bit to go yet.:)
    The tank on that is really long, must be a bit of a stretch riding it.

It goes with the cafe racer style..I like it...Deffo needs USD forks tho...:p

Nah...mine's nicer....:D

Obviously!

It's been a while since I updated this. Have only been doing a bit here and there - have been distracted looking at donedeal at more modern bikes (VFR's, Fazers, Hornets, Bandits, Ducati's etc) :rolleyes:

So with everything starting to fit together I started to trim back the excess from the flanges and the top.

Rolled over the section around the head tube
    p684h3ol.jpg

DJxhGhal.jpg

The front of the tank is now a much more curved shape when looking at it from the top compared to the original shape I started forming.

Then started to fold over the lower flanges.

NBLoYrjl.jpg
    This is just rough for now - I will probably make this edge a bit more sharp.

HR9cviwl.jpg

Dk4mwpDl.jpg

A a quick check back on the bike.
    wB1hHmYl.jpg

Tank size really now shows up how huge the seat is.

4ZpEaiYl.jpg

7GHd2OUl.jpg

Still lots of marks on the metal from the shrinking dies but these should all planish / file / sand out. I probably made more work for myself here by using the standard shrinking jaws for steel - when I had a set in a drawer from another unit with finer serrations for aluminium :banghead:- I switched about half way through.
    A9S7MzDl.jpg

I had bought a cheap screw on filler cap but decided to go with the Monza type cap in the end.
    This arrived through Parcel Motel today.

Trying it out for size and position

7iS85owl.jpg

fRZbH2Wl.jpg

or do I go offset?
    xOCBypyl.jpg

ri1sDDQl.jpg

I think it looks better in the centre position.

Started making a few internal baffles then for the tank just to slow the movement of fuel.
    nz2dhL2l.jpg

Do motorbike tanks usually have baffles?:confused:They won't do any harm anyway.

Next steps the flange for the petcock - I've taken a scan of the old one and will cut a new one on the cnc for welding onto the base.
    Then I need to finish welding the base and centre section
    Then it's trim the top and sides sections and weld together with probably a fair amount of time then to be spent on planishing / metal finsihing

Onto the seat and rear hump then.

I might bring it into to the July 19th Killarney Cars and Coffee on a trailer if I have enough done by then.
    I know when people filled out questionnaires at last years meets they said they'd like to see projects.

Unbelievable work Gn3dr! :cool: never heard of a baffle in a bike tank myself but so long as petcock is low the float level in the carbs shouldn't starve. Does she run a pump? I'd say the reason we don't have one in bikes (afik) is cost!
    It's coming together lovely, how hard is it to make those tight turns by the headstock?
    Will you be leaving it in bare polished alloy or will it be painted? Almost a shame to cover it up but I understand its a lot more work. What's the capacity do you know? Filler looks great and central placement all the way if you're taking votes:)
    Are you going making anything exhaust wise?

Like the flow over the rocker covers..very tidy.....unless you're going racing the baffles won't be noticable. ...pity you won't see them tho .lovely bit of engineering....

• Advertisement

Unbelievable work Gn3dr! :cool: never heard of a baffle in a bike tank myself but so long as petcock is low the float level in the carbs shouldn't starve. Does she run a pump? I'd say the reason we don't have one in bikes (afik) is cost!
    It's coming together lovely, how hard is it to make those tight turns by the headstock?
    Will you be leaving it in bare polished alloy or will it be painted? Almost a shame to cover it up but I understand its a lot more work. What's the capacity do you know? Filler looks great and central placement all the way if you're taking votes:)
    Are you going making anything exhaust wise?

Thanks H-Lime. There is no fuel pump on this - all just gravity.
    The turns on top by the headstock were easy enough. I cut the inner structure to the shape and then just gradually tapped the top part around this edge with a rubber mallet. The folded back flange will be welded underneath so it will mostly be invisible.

I'm hoping to leave it bare alloy but will see what it's turning out like. Haven't decided on fully polished or a matt finish.

Not fully sure what the tank capacity is.

I might be making some part of the exhaust. There's the remnants of 2 systems here for it. The downpipes are OK I think but the section where they go 4 into 1 and then split out into 2 again is rotten. I'm not a huge fan of doing exhausts though. I haven't got a second Argon tank and the required set up for back purging for stainless. Might give it a go though.

Advertisement