Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying my first BMW GS 1200

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Anybody consider the super tenere 1200 instead? Cheaper to buy and service, but probably doesn't hold the same re-sell value of the GS
    Comparison here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anybody consider the super tenere 1200 instead? Cheaper to buy and service, but probably doesn't hold the same re-sell value of the GS
    Comparison here

I'm gonna be in the market for a super tenere in the next few weeks. Will be looking at the gen 2. Still undecided on whether to go electronic suspension or not. But definitely a later model. Prices better in the UK. Few high priced gen 1 on donedeal . Will wait till things relax a bit with Covid. Might use Ted's Trucking (or similar) if it doesn't make sense to fly over and ferry back.
    The GS aint for me but I can see the attraction. I like Yamaha and done research on the S10. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Considered Triumph 800/1200 , crosstourer, Versys but keep going back to the S10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

GBX wrote: »
    I'm gonna be in the market for a super tenere in the next few weeks. Will be looking at the gen 2. Still undecided on whether to go electronic suspension or not. But definitely a later model. Prices better in the UK. Few high priced gen 1 on donedeal . Will wait till things relax a bit with Covid. Might use Ted's Trucking (or similar) if it doesn't make sense to fly over and ferry back.
    The GS aint for me but I can see the attraction. I like Yamaha and done research on the S10. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Considered Triumph 800/1200 , crosstourer, Versys but keep going back to the S10.
    Yeah I like em too and would consider one. Very well built yoke, worked on one for a week or two when time allowed and enjoyed the spin I had after she was sorted. Bit heavy but once going it's grand. Love the dash and the controls are light and crisp, torque is everywhere and be a lovely bike to tour on, if I ever get a chance.
    What kinda dollars in a gen2 in UK?

Link

why I did choose the S10, I will tell what in my personal opinion is a short fall from other contenders.

BMW 1200 GS:

1. Price tag. I can put lot of miles for $8,000 difference with the Yamaha S10.
    2. Dealer way to snobby. I show up many time in a old Nissan Frontier from 19996, and they do not said even hello when you pass the door.
    3. Dealer does not negotiate the MSRP price. My ego love when I can say: Yes, I did negotiate well and had a great (or not so great) deal.
    4. All Torx hardware, if you buy a bike labeled Adventure, it should be fixable in the middle of nowhere. Try to find Torx tools even in middle of Arkansas….
    5. Quality issues, especially with rear shock having the seal blowing up. Check GS forum and you will realize that as soon as the guy takes his GS on rough road, issues arise.
    6. And at least, I never like following the crow and do same as most people do.

KTM Adventure:

1. This is a beautiful bike and it was a close call.
    2. Fuel consumption. This bike has the best engine, but because it has the best engine, it has the poorest MPG.
    3. Services interval and cost related.
    4. No drive shaft.
    5. Not a defect for me, but oriented too much to off road.
    6. The dealer was great and very knowledgeable.

Triumph 800Xc.

1. Unfortunately, it was the same dealer that for the BMW GS and as soon as I move my interest from the GS1200 to the XC, the sales guy walk away and did not even answers my questions. I assume he was selling BMW only and the guy for Triumph was having breakfast somewhere.
    2. Fuel range too small.
    3. Fuel consumption
    4. Need new seat immediately.
    5. No drive shaft.
    6. MSRP close to the Yamaha S10 for a smaller bike.
    7. Beside that, it is a great bike

Why I did choose the Yamaha Super Tenere?

1. The dealer went straight to the invoice price.
    2. Trade in my bike 1K higher that Blue book.
    3. Very confortable and no need to replace seat or windshield or what so ever….
    4. 40 Mpg, this is always my mark.
    5. ABS working extremely well, I did test it yesterday going down hill on gravel road and grab hard the brake and stopped very well.
    6. Traction control. Works very well too.
    7. Drive shaft.
    8. 26,000 miles main service interval, and easy enough for me to do it.
    9. The Yamaha super Tenere is there since 30 years now. Not in USA but in Europe.
    10. Lot of accessories available from Europe at reasonable price. (Ps: I have way to bring parts from Europe with no additional shipping costs)
    11. And it is a choice by heart because my first bike was a Yamaha XV750 and I went all over Europe with never any issues. :norton

The engine is a little lazy, but it is ok with me, remember, my previous bike had double the cylinder and almost double the HP…. then it is hard to be honest on this aspect. The S10 handle great and I surprise myself ridding my favorites twisty roads at same speed as with my ZX14R. I just discovered yesterday that the ground clearance on the S10 is not as huge as we can think when looking at the bike, and I scrapped the tip of my boots in tight turns…the difference off course is on the interstate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Link

why I did choose the S10, I will tell what in my personal opinion is a short fall from other contenders.

BMW 1200 GS:

1. Price tag. I can put lot of miles for $8,000 difference with the Yamaha S10.
    2. Dealer way to snobby. I show up many time in a old Nissan Frontier from 19996, and they do not said even hello when you pass the door.
    3. Dealer does not negotiate the MSRP price. My ego love when I can say: Yes, I did negotiate well and had a great (or not so great) deal.
    4. All Torx hardware, if you buy a bike labeled Adventure, it should be fixable in the middle of nowhere. Try to find Torx tools even in middle of Arkansas….
    5. Quality issues, especially with rear shock having the seal blowing up. Check GS forum and you will realize that as soon as the guy takes his GS on rough road, issues arise.
    6. And at least, I never like following the crow and do same as most people do.

KTM Adventure:

1. This is a beautiful bike and it was a close call.
    2. Fuel consumption. This bike has the best engine, but because it has the best engine, it has the poorest MPG.
    3. Services interval and cost related.
    4. No drive shaft.
    5. Not a defect for me, but oriented too much to off road.
    6. The dealer was great and very knowledgeable.

Triumph 800Xc.

1. Unfortunately, it was the same dealer that for the BMW GS and as soon as I move my interest from the GS1200 to the XC, the sales guy walk away and did not even answers my questions. I assume he was selling BMW only and the guy for Triumph was having breakfast somewhere.
    2. Fuel range too small.
    3. Fuel consumption
    4. Need new seat immediately.
    5. No drive shaft.
    6. MSRP close to the Yamaha S10 for a smaller bike.
    7. Beside that, it is a great bike

Why I did choose the Yamaha Super Tenere?

1. The dealer went straight to the invoice price.
    2. Trade in my bike 1K higher that Blue book.
    3. Very confortable and no need to replace seat or windshield or what so ever….
    4. 40 Mpg, this is always my mark.
    5. ABS working extremely well, I did test it yesterday going down hill on gravel road and grab hard the brake and stopped very well.
    6. Traction control. Works very well too.
    7. Drive shaft.
    8. 26,000 miles main service interval, and easy enough for me to do it.
    9. The Yamaha super Tenere is there since 30 years now. Not in USA but in Europe.
    10. Lot of accessories available from Europe at reasonable price. (Ps: I have way to bring parts from Europe with no additional shipping costs)
    11. And it is a choice by heart because my first bike was a Yamaha XV750 and I went all over Europe with never any issues. :norton

The engine is a little lazy, but it is ok with me, remember, my previous bike had double the cylinder and almost double the HP…. then it is hard to be honest on this aspect. The S10 handle great and I surprise myself ridding my favorites twisty roads at same speed as with my ZX14R. I just discovered yesterday that the ground clearance on the S10 is not as huge as we can think when looking at the bike, and I scrapped the tip of my boots in tight turns…the difference off course is on the interstate.

Funny you should post this, Fortnine just put up their review of the Super Tenere last night.

@D3v!l
    Did you get your GSA yesterday? You happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

@D3v!l
    Did you get your GSA yesterday? You happy with it?

I did indeed, it's so shit. She got an R9T as well. Look how miserable myself and my missus look :pac:

518646.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

D3V!L wrote: »
    I did indeed, it's so shit. She got an R9T as well. Look how miserable myself and my missus look :pac:

518646.jpg

Well wear mister n missus devil, many happy miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Is there a sticky or a list of questions in terms of buying a used GS, things that are specific to a GS or general good advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Funny you should post this, Fortnine just put up their review of the Super Tenere last night.

That's not the Super Ténéré thats the XT700Z, The Super Ténéré is 1200cc.

So I done gone and bought one :)

[IMG][/img]rJWoX8wl.jpg

First bike with ABS, does the front lever control the back too? Back brake lpedal seems too far down compared to my TDM, just adjust accordingly or do you flip the fold down pedal down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

[IMG][/img]rJWoX8wl.jpg

First bike with ABS, does the front lever control the back too? Back brake lpedal seems too far down compared to my TDM, just adjust accordingly or do you flip the fold down pedal down?

Best of luck with it.

Is that the triple black?

Best of luck with it.

Is that the triple black?

Its got a leather tank cover on it that makes it look a bit like that from that angle.
    I think I'll take the panniers off, can see this happening :

Gonna take a week off and go for a proper spin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Go to www.ukgser.com/forums and join.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its got a leather tank cover on it that makes it look a bit like that from that angle.
    I think I'll take the panniers off, can see this happening :

Gonna take a week off and go for a proper spin :D

Panniers are only needed if your actually traveling for a trip tbh. Other times top box is plenty big.

Yep, and very easy to forget that you have them on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

[IMG][/img]rJWoX8wl.jpg

It has linked brakes, if you hit one, the other also engages to a lesser extent.

Thanks Colm, so in reality you don't really need to use the back break pedal at all? (unless you need too of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Thanks Colm, so in reality you don't really need to use the back break pedal at all? (unless you need too of course)

That's the idea. It does use a few more brake pads though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement