Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first BMW GS 1200

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Forget Spain. I live in Andalucia six months of the year, cars and bikes are more expensive there. Buy a bike in Germany and get overlanders.ie to deliver it to Ireland. Simple.

You seem to be right. I checked the cost of bikes in Spain v Germany and they are more expensive in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'll go back to one maybe in the future when the new sh!t-cam engine is proven.

Or you can just buy a "real adventure bike" a BMW 1150 Adventure :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Or you can just buy a "real adventure bike" an 1150 Adventure :D:D:D:D:D

I tried buying a KTM but seeing as the Dublin dealer doesn't open on Saturdays it was quite hard !!

I tried buying a KTM but seeing as the Dublin dealer doesn't open on Saturdays it was quite hard !!

See my edit ;) BMW 1150 Adventure

See my edit ;) BMW 1150 Adventure

As soon as I can convince the minister for finance its a good expenditure for this fiscal year then I will. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...that's why it's called an 'Adventure' - trying to find a time when they're open !!

....it's also why I didn't buy my AT there: nonsense hours, and didn't want to get the colour I wanted - only interested in selling stock.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Are M50 Honda the only KTM dealers in Dublin?

Don't know, my dealer up North does Triumph, KTM and Kawasaki. Will be up there Thursday so will be looking at the KTM range while they work on the Er6f. Looking to change to a BMW F900XR or stay with Kawasaki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Did you bite Tickers? Thinking of same.

Well I put a deposit on a new 1250GSA on Friday :)

Did you not think it was risky buying in Germany, did you inspect the bike before you had it shipped?

I've bought over 20 bikes from Germany- never inspected any of them, never had a single issue. You will find they don't keep getting cheaper with age in Germany though- they come down to a level and plateau off

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

And after 18 years of 1150 ownership (over nine different bikes ) it looks like I'm changing to a 990 Adventure ;).

Well I put a deposit on a new 1250GSA on Friday :)

Was thinking that the adventure is a bit big but I know if I were to get a gs I'd only be looking at the gsa and not the other way round.
    Are you getting it in Ireland?

Was thinking that the adventure is a bit big but I know if I were to get a gs I'd only be looking at the gsa and not the other way round.
    Are you getting it in Ireland?

I'm getting it in Belfast , picking it up on the 1st of July.

I'm getting it in Belfast , picking it up on the 1st of July.
    Think H Lime had recommended a different GS on another thread for you :)
    Bit cheaper too

Think H Lime had recommended a different GS on another thread for you :)
    Bit cheaper too

Oh , must have missed that :(

:pac::pac::pac:

516397.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Lokie

Sorry didn't read the whole thread. We are long time Bikers currently on a 929 Blade ðŸ˜. Not the most comfortable for pillion, and looking at getting a GS. I would love to hear pillion experiences on these especially for the slightly curvier ladies 😉.

Would love to go touring in Europe on day. Pilot is not very tall though, 5'7 me thinks, hoping my weight (80 kg eeek!) will drop it down a bit. He kinda has his heart set on the GS, but not much first hand opinions from pillions online.

Any advice?

Lokie wrote: »
    Sorry didn't read the whole thread. We are long time Bikers currently on a 929 Blade ðŸ˜. Not the most comfortable for pillion, and looking at getting a GS. I would love to hear pillion experiences on these especially for the slightly curvier ladies ��.

Would love to go touring in Europe on day. Pilot is not very tall though, 5'7 me thinks, hoping my weight (80 kg eeek!) will drop it down a bit. He kinda has his heart set on the GS, but not much first hand opinions from pillions online.

Any advice?

Do consider the R1200R or possibly R1200RS too - often overlooked. A lot easier for pillions to get on to than a GS and GSA.

I have an Africa Twin and the SO has ruled out pillion on it due to the mountain climbing involved to get on to it. Even getting her foot up to the pillion to clamber on is a challenge.

E.g. something like this is a GS in all but name:

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-r1200r/24382360

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Lokie

Thank you guys! Some solid advice as I struggle to get on the Blade now that the lock down has shrunk me leggings! My legs are very short. Will pass your advice to the bossman!

• Advertisement

Are wheel type a big consideration? I see most have spokes but there are casts too. If they are spoked are they tubeless? I wouldn't fancy not being able to plug a puncture on the side of the road and having to remove the wheel to put in a new tube.
    That would be a huge factor for me if I were to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Are wheel type a big consideration? I see most have spokes but there are casts too. If they are spoked are they tubeless? I wouldn't fancy not being able to plug a puncture on the side of the road and having to remove the wheel to put in a new tube.
    That would be a huge factor for me if I were to get one

Yes, spoked wheels take TL on all the R boxer models, old and new.
    Even the F850/750 are TL now. Older models were not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes, spoked wheels take TL on all the R boxer models, old and new.
    Even the F850/750 are TL now. Older models were not.

In the case of the F800GS they're tubed tyres and one of the reasons I didn't buy my sons bike.

I loved his F800GS but the big issues for me with it were tubed tyres and a chain drive. After having two bikes with shaft drives I'm very reluctant to go back to chains again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭goblin59

the older R1200GS's have a nightmare with the ABS though, Dad disabled the ABS on his '05 as it worked on the same circuit as the servo assisted brakes.
    The ABS would randomly fail and would cause the servo to stall too, so it was just removed to solve it and not affect the brakes.

Otherwise its a great touring bike, Dads taken it across south america and europe.

I'd say after 15 years of knowing this issue they've fixed it by now.

Currently on a F650GS twin myself, easier bike for me to manage since im a short arse

goblin59 wrote: »
    the older R1200GS's have a nightmare with the ABS though, Dad disabled the ABS on his '05 as it worked on the same circuit as the servo assisted brakes.
    The ABS would randomly fail and would cause the servo to stall too, so it was just removed to solve it and not affect the brakes.

Otherwise its a great touring bike, Dads taken it across south america and europe.

I'd say after 15 years of knowing this issue they've fixed it by now.

Currently on a F650GS twin myself, easier bike for me to manage since im a short arse

The issue with those isn't the ABS, its the Servos. They cured it alright: they abandoned servo brakes after that. R115R0RT & R1200RS similarly affected.

Ode To The Motorist

If anyone here is thinking of a GS then it's worth going on to www.ukgser.com the best resource for GS ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In the case of the F800GS they're tubed tyres and one of the reasons I didn't buy my sons bike.

I loved his F800GS but the big issues for me with it were tubed tyres and a chain drive. After having two bikes with shaft drives I'm very reluctant to go back to chains again.

Still find this odd tbh. I cover about 16K to 18K Km per year on the bike and it has a chain. Ive absolutely zero issues with it and its not a chore or a bother.

I think that mileage would be considered quite high too. Theres folks on here doing less than a quarter of that mileage and get completely irrational about a chain on the bike :confused:

listermint wrote: »
    Still find this odd tbh. I cover about 16K to 18K Km per year on the bike and it has a chain. Ive absolutely zero issues with it and its not a chore or a bother.

I think that mileage would be considered quite high too. Theres folks on here doing less than a quarter of that mileage and get completely irrational about a chain on the bike :confused:

They try the shaft and thats all they want :pac:

Usually a big stiff black one. The thing is they also need to be lubed like a chain. The last thing you need is a dry shaft, it'd make for a rough ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They try the shaft and thats all they want :pac:

Usually a big stiff black one.

Tis in their head :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭goblin59

Lokie wrote: »
    Sorry didn't read the whole thread. We are long time Bikers currently on a 929 Blade ðŸ˜. Not the most comfortable for pillion, and looking at getting a GS. I would love to hear pillion experiences on these especially for the slightly curvier ladies ��.

Any advice?

Hey Lokie
    Missed this bit when reading through last week.

Mum gets on the back of the R1200GS with no issues, they have an upgraded seat though for pillion. Everything is adjustable on the bike though, you can lower the suspension on it and set the preload fairly handy.
    They went across south america on it and were away for i think 3 months.

They're a big bike though, I'm 5'5 and can just about touch the ground on Dad's set up, so at 5'7 he should be fine, but Dad was saying there was points on their trips where he couldn't stop because he couldn't touch the ground so couldn't stop in certain places. He's around 6ft tall as well.

Advertisement