Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

• 23-02-2014 2:37pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think we did this quite a while back, good for a bit of banter... Now that the season is upon us lets get the chat going. Few links to start it off:

Rain Alarm - it's app for your phone which vibrates and alerts you if its going to rain in your area. Seems to be pretty accurate.

Top 10 Driving Roads: I would really love to take a trip to ride as many of these as possible...

Big Playlist of riding techniques: Huge big list of videos about riding techniques, safety, cornering, getting the knee down, and even how to do wheelies! This is the first one, about track riding positions - pretty interesting

MyBikeManuals.com - massive collection of bike manuals in pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Tumbleweed_rolling_2.jpg

No one got anything else to contribute? :confused: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

is there a list of the best driving roads in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Rain alarm fook me the thing will be going off all month long....lol.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

aaakev wrote: »
    is there a list of the best driving roads in ireland?

I did a round Ireland trip and did loads of research beforehand of the best roads. I might have the list somewhere I'll try to dig it out...
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Rain alarm fook me the thing will be going off all month long....lol.
    I know its depressing I hope it gets better soon... It does not dound an alarm just vibrates - however you can 'mute' it for a few hours/days/week etc. Also just handy to check whenever needed.

What's a good site for checking the weather? Some of them are useless - and I hate met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

Went up to Killarney last weekend in the car no less (herself wouldn't go pillion that distance...:rolleyes:) - immediately realised I brought the wrong vehicle once I got onto the Ring of Kerry, will definitely be back with the bike next time - hopefully the summer coming.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Anyone ever see the Mr Bean episode where he pushes the car through a red light copying the cyclist? Saw a bloke on a motorbike do that today! Stops at red light, gets off the bike and pushes it around the corner and then hops on the bike and drives down the road.

Haha genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Zascar wrote: »

What's a good site for checking the weather? Some of them are useless - and I hate met.ie

The daily forecasts by M.T. Cranium in the Weather Forum here on Boards are fairly bang on. He posts early every morning.

Went up to Killarney last weekend in the car no less (herself wouldn't go pillion that distance...:rolleyes:) - immediately realised I brought the wrong vehicle once I got onto the Ring of Kerry, will definitely be back with the bike next time - hopefully the summer coming.:cool:

The roads around kerry and cork are incredible, especially the Ring of Kerry. I did it in the car years ago which I loved but went back on the bike last year - just brilliant. Have a video of it here. Can't wait to go back. I'd also like to do a trip up north to Donegal and the Antrim coast road, its where Joey Dunlop cut his teeth and I hear its fantastic biking country.

• Advertisement

What a save

gifs24.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

MyBikeManuals.com - massive collection of bike manuals in pdf

http://www.pdfmotomanual.com is much better for manuals, IMO; there's way more -- at least for the models I've searched for. YMMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

http://www.yr.no/

Passed 2 northsiders arguing on the half way mark of O'Connell Bridge today, a bloke and a girl. He says to her that he cannot go over the bridge as he'd get charged. She turns around and told him it's free to cross the bridge. His response, I mean I'll be arrested if I go to that side, pointing towards D'Olier Street.

Tune in, same bat time, same bat channel for yet another installment of Rosie's walk at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

I just moved to germany there 2 weeks ago and on my way to work this morning i got feckin flashed by a mobile speed trap, a blinding red flash and then the realization... FOOK. I'm just hoping that since the bike is only registered in Ireland they wont have me on their system and ill get away with it, also the flash was from the front so it they had no cameras to catch my tail then im thinking ill be alright. These guys dont mess around, for anyone who might be interested heres a list of their penalty system a slight bit of google translate might be nescessary. Anyone have any stories of this sort of thing? I also wonder if there is something you could put on a number plate to reflect a camera flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I find met.ie to be good, but you have to check it that morning to get accuracy. I usually check it in bed before I get up. And check the regional section dublin. Always bang on.

€50 1966 Lambretta LI 150 barn find for restoration :cool:

MonstaMash wrote: »

Rather you than me!

aaakev wrote: »
    Rather you than me!
    You'd be surprised how much pleasure can be derived from a job well done at the end of the build :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you're selling, I'm buying - where is it ?

Here's why: lost youth and all that:

img020-M.jpg

img017-L.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised how much pleasure can be derived from a job well done at the end of the build :)

Oh I know the pleasure! Its the commitment to doing it I couldnt handle now because im too busy! good luck with it though, it deserves its own thread!

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you're selling, I'm buying
    Sorry galwaytt, she's not for sale.

I promised my young fella we'd fix it up together as his first ride on my € as long as he pays for his own IBT (got to give him the incentive) ;):)

I'm going to a wedding in California in June, good school friend so a few of us going over. One of the lads is also a bike Biker, so I'm very tempted to rent bikes for a few days and get a few miles in. As it's America I'm thinking to get big gay Harleys... :p

I'm going to a wedding in California in June, good school friend so a few of us going over. One of the lads is also a bike, so I'm very tempted to rent bikes for a few days and get a few miles in. As it's America I'm thinking to get big gay Harleys... :p

One of you mates is a bike? If your mate was a girl :cool:, but seeing they are a bloke :(

lol sorry 'biker'

lol sorry 'biker'

Im gonna sugest changing that in the original post...... haha

Ok corrected. So has anyone every rented a bike while on hols?

acid_picdump_26.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I'm far far too optimistic whenever I see the EuroMillions creep past €100m. I'm already trying to figure out what bikes I'll buy. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

acid_picdump_26.jpg

Did you not get the Honda Zascar or am I missing something???? :o

Advertisement