Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle FAQ

• 06-01-2004 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Well since I suggested it, I'll start the ball rolling.

Licence
    You need a licence to ride a bike. Here for some details.

Insurance
    In Ireland, there are only 2 motorbike insurers, Hibernian and Carole Nash. If you're under 25, you can try Carole Nash but they generally only insure over 25s on bikes obver 250cc. You can get online quotes from Hibernian but only phone quotes from CN.

There are some brokers who deal with motorbike insurance. AON is the largest. They deal with Hibernian and offer discounts on the Hibernian price. Some of the bike shops can also sort your insurnace out. They have a deal with AON. Some examples of these bike shops:
    Cotters
    Bikeworld

There are 3 types of insurance:
    Third Party (TP) - you pay for damages to you and your bike
    Third Party, Fire and Theft. As above but also covers for fire and theft, strangely.
    Fully Comprehensive. As above but also includes cover for damage to you and your bike.

Bikes are assigned a grouping by insurers. This is based on the power to weight ratio of the bike. So for example a 50cc 10 BHP scooter is group 1 and a 1300cc 150BHP sports bike would be group 12, and more expensive to insure. The differences between groups is small for riders over 40. A table of the prices is not available online at the moment.

Lessons
    There are various places to learn to ride a bike. Irish School of Motoring (ISM) will provide bikes. As will the Star Rider courses run by Fingal and I believe South Dublin Co Council. These are not year round courses though. And there is a long waiting list for school bikes. Most independent trainers (Irish Rider Training Association IRTA) do not have bikes due to prohibitive insurance costs. This may change with driver instructor certification due in 2004.

Some URLs:
    So you want to drive
    Cotters
    Bikeworld
    Easy rider training good information
    on bikes and training.
    Irish rider training
    Motorcycle news there reviews of bikes and gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Some information on 33BHP power restriction on A licence at MAG Ireland

There is some differing opinion on the power restriction. Others in this parish argue that the restriction is 33BHP and power/weight <=0.16 kW/kg. But many people take the restriction to be "33BHP OR power/weight <=0.16 kW/kg" which would then allow people to ride big bikes that are restricted.

To take an extreme example, someone could get a 1800cc GoldWing restricted to a power/weight ratio <= 0.16 but still be putting out somewhere about 60-70BHP.

Which doesn't seem right.

And along this line, an RS250 or NSR250 puts out less than 33BHP but the power ot weight ratio > 0.16.

This isn't MAG's interpretation, but it does make some sense. Unfortunately :(

this restriction topic has been annoying me as has not getting a definitive answer about it. But I believe I have found a definitive answer.

On the Dept of Transport website there is a page which I found that says
    "25kW (33BHP) or power to weight <= 0.16"

It's in this PDF document (page 4) 312kB

Found it by searching main government site for "25kW"

Hope that settles it. Anyhoo, it'll do for me if I can find a nice bigger bike over the next few months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Sorry a_ominous you are quite wrong about Carole Nash not insuring the under 25s.

In fact, Carole Nash are the only company that will provide Third Party only insurance for young drivers like me 19-25 age group.

I'm wondering where you get your information.

Hibernian have point blank refused to quote me on anything other then third party fire and theft.

*bump*.

Carole Nash are the only company in Ireland who would quote me after I had an accident and payout.... (in fact it was Carole Nash I was insured with at the time).

Also doing a quick scan through your posts shows that you consistently 'plug' for Hibernian.

Do you work for them by any chance?

Just to clarify things, I do not work for Hibernian, Carole Nash or any insurance company. I did say that Carole Nash generally only insure over 25 year olds coz that's what they told me when I've contacted them. They also told me that they _generally_ insure bikes > 250cc but they did quote me for a 125cc Marauder. Their TP quote was dearer than FC with Hibernian.

I recommend that _everyone_ shop around for insurance _every_ time. Rates do change from year to year. I will be calling CN at my next renewal to make sure I get the best deal. But with motorbikes, there are only the 2 insurance companies.

I have given the Hibernian URL in my posts to help people. If they're reading boards.ie they're online and could get the quote 24x7. That's all.

Carole Nash also provide a breakdown service as part of their package. Hibernian don't. If you break down and have a Hib policy, it's your problem. But be aware that CN late night or weekend breakdowns may mean you have to fork out the cash to breakdown van driver as they don't have 24 hour access to the CN database. MAG are aware of this and were to raise it with CN last autumn.

In the interest of fairness and helpfulness,
    Carole Nash
    CX House
    Corn Exchange
    Dublin 2
    ph 1800 29 85 50.
    [PS that's in the telephone book

Another plus for CN, is Hibernian do not provide cover on bikes valued over 12500 Euro. I had hoped to upgrade next year and wanted to get an idea of insurance costs. May have to do that in-store as many shops provide cover via AON who deal with Hibernian.

One thing to consider with Carole Nash is that to get fully comp (FC) insurance the bike is supposed to be garaged every night. One CN agent told me a garden shed was fine, another said it had to be a permanent brick garage. YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by a_ominous
    One thing to consider with Carole Nash is that to get fully comp (FC) insurance the bike is supposed to be garaged every night. One CN agent told me a garden shed was fine, another said it had to be a permanent brick garage. YMMV.

If you have an anchor fitted to the ground in your back garden, and put a small wooden shed around it (why wouldn't you - keep it warm/dry), I'm sure it would stand up as being adequately secure.

Originally posted by seamus
    If you have an anchor fitted to the ground in your back garden, and put a small wooden shed around it (why wouldn't you - keep it warm/dry), I'm sure it would stand up as being adequately secure.

It didn't in my case. But another useful point for the FAQ.

A ground anchor is basically a hoop or other fixed piece of metal for locking your bike to. I paid about 60 yoyos for mine about 18 months ago in Bikeworld. They had a few different types ranging in price from 40 quid to 120 IIRC. Some need to be set in concrete, mine is bolted to a wall.

Regarding locks and chains

Some background
    I'm a recent biker (2 years now). I found there was a lot of conflicting information out there when I started looking at bikes. In my experience bike shops are generally helpful. Haven't had anyone laugh at me asking silly questions. But they are selling you stuff so all their information might not be accurate. Caveat emptor. If you get out there and visit shops you can get a good idea of what bikes suit you.
    I've also passed RoSPA Advanced Rider training. I'm working towards intructor training.

There is a lot of variety out there for clothing and accessories. A helmet in the only compulsory bit of kit. Prices vary a lot starting at around 50 yoyos to 500 yoyos. Cheaper lids tend to be open face and IME mostly used by scooterists and old Harley riders ;) Not only will they not protect your face much in a fall, but I dislike the stinging of hard rain or hailstones on my face. Especially at speed.
    A helmet must have a chin strap that is closed. If not, you are technically riding without a helmet in the eyes of the law (Check last years accident stats). You will also need goggles.
    A full face lid gives more protection. You should try to get a helmet that is CE approved. I was advised to go for a single shell lid, ie not one glued together to form a helmet.
    I've heard a quote regarding lids: if you have a cheap head, buy a cheap lid. While I don't completely agree with this, it does have some merit. If you're going for a sports bike, I would recommend a full faced lid. Just in case, you understand. An open lid for E50 is grand on a run-around 50cc scooter and will probalby fit in the under-seat storage.

There are 2 purposes of the clothing: protection and comfort (keeping warm and dry). An ordinary fleece jacket might keep you warm walking about, but as a biker (includes scooterist, motorcyclist) it will provide no protection in the event of a fall. And wind chill will also be a factor.
    Leather offers the greatest abrasion resistent protection in a fall. If you fall and slide and are wearing jeans, your legs will be cut to pieces. You'll probably survive, but be in a lot of pain. Leather lasts something like 20 times longer. This is why racers wear leathers.
    Most bike gear will also have some 'armour' or padding in it. This is typically on extremities like elbows, shoulders, knees, hips and also some for the back. If you have a fall on a bike, rolling along the ground is where bones get broken. A slide is better (in leather) because the clothing is worn down.

Alternatives to leather:
    Since leather is not water-proof (without treatment, and needs continuous treatment) other materials are used. A lot of bikers I've seen about Dublin wear synthetic jackets. Some have Goretex to let you breathe (important during the summer!) Jackets should have a winter lining too so you can be nice and warm.

Everyone will also need a pair of gloves to protect the hands in the event of a fall and also to keep hands warm and dry. If you don't stay dry, you won't stay warm. Water will cool you off 27 times faster than air (according to a Discovery program I saw in 2003).

In Ireland, you'll also need water proofs. IMHO a person riding a scooter does not need the same level of protection as a person with a big bike, but that is very much your own decision. There are waterproofs out there with padding and cost 100-200 yoyos.

Boots
    These are a good investment for anyone on a bike. Gear changing will wear out the top of your left shoe. Bike boots are reinforced here. There should also be some additional protection around the ankle, toe and shin. Broken ankles are quite common injuries for bikers.

My initial outlay for gear was
    Helmet 130
    Jacket 130
    Boots 180
    Trousers 120
    Lock 70
    Disc-lock 30

I've since replaced my first jacket as the padding kept sliding around. I've also had to replace my disc lock as I broke the first one after riding off with it on. Fortunately the brake disc was unharmed.

There are various motorcycling books out there covering things like 'Roadcraft', Advanced Riding. They also cover clothing. See if your local library has them or can order them for you. Worth a read initially and also from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A_ominous: I have to agree with you on your comments about insurance companies.
    Not only should you ring around, but you should also ring the same company several times, in the hope of reaching a different operator.

I've found that conditions can change rapidly just even over periods of a couple of hours. For instance, rang Hibernian for a quote on my first bike (5 years ago), for which the quote was 780 Irish punts fully-comp. Rang them later that day, (different operator) to secure the insurance, and the quote was down to 680 Irish punts. I've seen this behaviour echo'ed on multiple occasions from various posters on Motorcycle Ireland..

Oh, and Carole Nash were specifically looking for a brick and Mortar shed, when I tried to get Comprehensive insurance from them.. Nothing else would do... (and €600 more than HiB!).

Oh and I see your head is only worth €130! I'd be inclined to spend a little more to get something that might be safer..

Some additional equipment you should/might buy:

1) A Bike cover - if your bike's not kept in a shed - prolong that body-work!
    2) An alarm - if covered by HiB and your bike's over a certain value (I think it's around €10.5K) you'll need an approved alarm fitted. Mine cost me ~ €280
    3) Chain Oil - and some parrafin to clean the chain
    4) Wax - for Polishing
    5) WD40 - for all sorts of uses
    6) Tyre weld/foam (Bikes don't have spares!) - although this may render your tyre un-repairable
    7) A Toolkit - If you don't have one already - Including a set of spanners/allen keys
    8) A rear paddock stand - for oiling/cleaning that chain
    9) Some kind of luggage - I use a rear Oxford Tail Bag - reduces straing from carrying a backpack (and it's also less painful if you fall)
    10) Ear-Plugs - Wind noise will deafen you eventually, even at speeds as low as 40mph
    11) Bungie cords
    12) A Cargo net
    13) I'll keep adding as I think of stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Roadcraft is good, another book I found useful was "proficient motorcycling"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-0219294-7779657

which I picked up while browsing in borders on a trip to the states. Beware though, it's American, they drive on the other side of the road so some of it requires translation!

Also, the institute of advanced motoring hand book which I got from Hibernian Ignition.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1870979656/ref=pd_rhf_f_1/026-0219294-7779657

Try http://www.magireland.org/MAGLINK/APRIL2002.htm#_Toc6461277MAG Ireland

I also believe there is a 10% reduction for bike between 3months and 1 year. Less than 3 months, there is no VRT reduction.

Found some (very little) info on
    Revenue site
    It does say there is a "deduction for age" without giving the percentage. Check MAG link above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 D'oh!

hey just my 2cents

As far as i've heard C&N will only insure you if you are over 21 and have a min of 2 years NCB

And as far as having your bike restricted there is now bloody piont, for them to verify the hp they have to run a dyno from the crank and there isnt a dyno for doing this in the country! And besides the insurance company wont ask you anything about it, they never have anyway. So if you can afford the rip off rates ride what ever you can!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭batman_oh

santry motorcyles and the bike tyre company both have dyno rollin roads
    doubt they would try to verify by that but if u get unlucky u wuld have to show restriction certs, and if u crash if theres no restrictors, u cud be very screwed

Originally posted by D'oh!
    As far as i've heard C&N will only insure you if you are over 21 and have a min of 2 years NCB
    It Would appear so. I rang them 2 years ago at 20, and they told me they wouldn't insure me under 23. Rang them today, First thing she asked - What age? "22", immediately afterwards - Have you any NCB? "2 years".

So got me a quote - €700 less than Hibernian.

\o/

Choices...choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

hey i was just wondering im driving a scooter and my insurance is up in a few weeks its fully comprehensive 700 odd quid with hibernian , do i have to pay the full whack at once or could i pay 6 months of it now and the rest in 6 months time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I just received my Hibernian renewal, and there were no installment payment options, it was all a lump sum.. I think Carole Nash allow payments by installment, but this may be no use to you..

Give Hibernian a call..

im with a broker and i rang em this morning they said you can only pay the lump sum no installment option available . i have a 3 year no claim bonus and turning 21 in august so i`ll give carole nash a ring in the afternoon and see what the story there is .

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    im with a broker and i rang em this morning they said you can only pay the lump sum no installment option available . i have a 3 year no claim bonus and turning 21 in august so i`ll give carole nash a ring in the afternoon and see what the story there is .
    Something else I had also considered was to forgoe the broker and apply for a quote online with Hibernian (they no longer offer motorcycle quotes over the phone :mad:). Afaik, you should be able to pay in instalments.

• Advertisement

i did that seamus 200 dearer when i got quoted online for both third party and fully comprehensive and same story last year when i rang em up they were a hell of a lot dearer than my broker.do you have any idea if carole nash will insure scooters?

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    i did that seamus 200 dearer when i got quoted online for both third party and fully comprehensive and same story last year when i rang em up they were a hell of a lot dearer than my broker.do you have any idea if carole nash will insure scooters?
    No idea. Give em a buzz. Freephone too.

i rang em and she said yeah grand if your 21 with at least two years ncb so i gave her all my details and she went to give me a quote and next thing she goes oh laura im so sorry the system will only give me quotes for 23 years or more sorry and hangs up , I was like ggrr so annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 AidoX

While Im riding a 650 my (31yr, 3 NCB) Im paying less than 600 yoyos thats with a second bike on my policy. HIB didnt even come close even though I have my car and house cover with them.

My mate recently bought a Suzi GS 450 1983, 32, 1st provo and no NCB. He rang Carole Nashe they quoted him little under 500 yoyos and said when he gets his full license that will drop to 310 yoyo... I doubt he'll ever get to pay that he wants bigger yesterday, he's just using the GS to build experience and a NCB right way to go

Hopefully some of these "new" companies coming in <whenever> will also take on bikers.

I use mine for summer use only to and fro the office and have only put about 3K on the clock since I got it, theres now 7K onthe clock lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

aye, carole nash, 21 yrs old minimum..... sigh

so that means hibernian are the ONLY other company that will insure bikers under 21?

• hi all, im currently driving a yamaha dragstar 650, and was insured with hibernian which cost me €1100 when i first got the bike. i got the renewal form off them in august and they were looking for €1600 ! i have a clean licence and wanted to know why the sudden increase and got no reply, just told to pay up! i called carole nash and they quoted me for €1300 with free breakdown cover. Hibernian are rip off merchants

• by the way im 24 provisional licence and 4 years no claims!im never going near hibernian again

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

by the way im 24 provisional licence and 4 years no claims!im never going near hibernian again

Get your full license and you'll probably find Hibernian undercutting that Carole Nash quote there.

35% off.

There are several different engine configurations or types used in bikes.

A general explanation at Motorbiketraining.net

Some comments pulled from a recent thread:
    Seamus wrote:
    V-twin is a reference to the way a twin-cylindered bike has its cylinders arranged. Single cylindered bikes have obviously one cylinder, sitting straight up, or slightly leaning forward.
    different configurations do different things and they all have good and bad points. Single cylinder, in-line twin, opposed twin (BMW), v-twin, in-line triple (Kawasaki), v-triple (Honda), v-four, inline four, and inline six (Honda) are the ones I can think of straight off.
    V-Twins have a reputation for being more Torque'y, better handling in corners, and having better exhaust sounds.. But it is just that, a reputation...

Modern inlines can have far more Torque and handle better in the corners.
    But they'll never sound as sweet*..

furp wrote:
    On Harleys the V is set at about 60 degrees but its the way the timing is set up that gives them that unique sound they fire both cylinders simultaneous but only one cylinder has the piston in the right position and fuel in it so you get a kind of lagged timing on them, sorry how stuff works has a better explanation of it.

But that sound is sweet it goes po-tat-oe po-tat-oe po-tat-oe po-tat-oe, not a very efficient engine and a very old design from the 50's afaik, but my dad has a 95 Fatboy with screamin' eagle exhaust and it is a monster to ride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Does this seem totally mental to anyone.

I have 5 years no claims bonus and have just got my full A1 licence. I applied for a provisional A licence and I must now do a theory test !

Advertisement