Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains

1332333334335336338»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    You know when something good happens? I've taken to telling it, whatever it is, that it's going in the jigtionary.

For example, last night I made enchiladas that turned out to be better than I expected.

Beef enchiladas....you're going in the jigtionary!

Makes little sense, don't care.

I've heard Say my Name on the radio so many times over the past couple of months and it always gives me a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I have seen plenty of the football he plays. He managed my team for a few months and has been managing in the league for 20 years.

I wouldn't be shouting that round the place :p.

I wouldn't be McCleans biggest fan and I don't think he is really a Stephen Kenny type player but he could be of use in the latter stages of games where the opposition team don't want to see an absolute maniac sprinting around the place for the last 15/20 minutes.

Also, Kenny has space in the team for players who don't necessarily have the silkiest of skills. Chris Shields is in the Dundalk team for years as an enforcer, not a great passer of the ball. John Mountney wouldn't be the most skillful either but he is often employed in games where Dundalk required a lot of energy up and down the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just because McClean played under him at Derry ten years ago is no guarantee of him being the first name on the team sheet for Ireland.

You have to look at the context too. McClean's skill level was next level compared to the standard in the loi. I saw him play in the flesh for Derry against my local team, just before he got the move to Sunderland, and he was basically like Pele compared to the other 21 cloggers on the field. It was ridiculous. You had to play McClean if you were manager of Derry City. It's at the highest level that his limitations become a lot more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

John O'Shea - all round good guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

For the movie club, would be nice if they said a week or so in advance what the next movies will be, would like to watch them in advance and be able to enjoy the discussion a bit better...similar to the book club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Obrieski wrote: »
    For the movie club, would be nice if they said a week or so in advance what the next movies will be, would like to watch them in advance and be able to enjoy the discussion a bit better...similar to the book club

I agree. I actually enjoy the movie club as a concept, but I find myself skipping bits when they talk about something I haven't seen before for fear of spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

No interest in the movie club tbh. I like murph as part of the podcast but just him and Mal talking about films I haven't seen is not a great combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

yermandan wrote: »
    Best egomaniacs yet today. I was howling

It's clear from the egomaniacs that Ken is definitely the soundest of the three followed some way back by Eoin and further back still Murph who comes across as bordering on rude and full of himself going by what the emails say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's clear from the egomaniacs that Ken is definitely the soundest of the three followed some way back by Eoin and further back still Murph who comes across as bordering on rude and full of himself going by what the emails say.

Its a funny segement but I wouldn't read anything into their personalities from what some attention seeker emails in

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah it can be a funny segment, but it can suffer from the "Amn't I mad altogether" nonsense that makes me skip forward any time PBESO gets mentioned.

Big dick energy, what the f*ck are you on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

padd b1975 wrote: »

Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

deisedude wrote: »
    Its a funny segement but I wouldn't read anything into their personalities from what some attention seeker emails in

I think there's a noticeable pattern at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The pattern is ken loves pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Obrieski wrote: »
    John O'Shea - all round good guy!

Yup, he comes across as very down-to-earth with no ego.

The story about Fergie telling him he had a 6-month trial was funny. You can imagine the absolute panic when he says it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah it can be a funny segment, but it can suffer from the "Amn't I mad altogether" nonsense that makes me skip forward any time PBESO gets mentioned.

A little bit at times. It's not as bad as PBESO, which would make you puke with it's pleased with itselfness. But it can definitely come across as a bit precious. But I do tend to laugh at what the lads do.

Ken loves the pints, obviously. Touch of the common man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIVING HERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Finally got around to listening to the Jack Charlton special. It’s very, very good. Makes you laugh and makes you cry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

deisedude wrote: »

On the contrary what makes this segment is the quality of the writing from the listener. It's not easy make a mundane story sound interesting, never mind entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone read the article in the Sunday Indo by Paul Kimmage about Mark Horgan and his new podcast?

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/the-second-captain-who-went-in-search-of-george-gibney-39397382.html?__twitter_impression=true

The latest date I can find for the podcast release is August 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Anyone read the article in the Sunday Indo by Paul Kimmage about Mark Horgan and his new podcast?

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/the-second-captain-who-went-in-search-of-george-gibney-39397382.html?__twitter_impression=true

The latest date I can find for the podcast release is August 27th

Ya, Mark has confirmed same date:

https://twitter.com/Younghorgan/status/1287487799868956674

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Thread locked as it's over the 10,000 post limit.

Here's the new thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114147758#post114147758

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement