Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tiger 800 or V-Strom 650

• 24-07-2020 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Thoughts on either.?.Good and bad welcome.

Had a DL1000 V-Strom a few years back and loved it.

Sorry I ever sold it really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Have a 2015 vstrom 1000 at the minute and it's the best bike iv'e ever owned. Few tasty extras though. I rode the 650 and found it great for scratching on but breathless on the longer runs but then again im coming from 20 plus years of riding sports bikes.

Don't know anything about the Tiger sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

I’ve got a DL650 for the last 2 years, it’s a great bike that will take everything you throw at it. Also runs on the sniff of petrol, I know nothing of the Tiger’s other than I love the look of them and would be tempted to buy one if I had the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

What year bikes were you looking at? Suzuki just aren't keeping up with the standard of extras and features that are available on most bikes now a days. Personally I would go with triumph between these 2, triple motor for starters, nice sized tourer for the vertically challenged. It was no hooligan when I rode it but that was off road. I think the 650 is more of a beginner bike and if you had the 1000 you'd be disappointed. Would be easier to advise with a bit more info on the models you were considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Looking at Tiger 800 XRX at the minute.

After 2015:
    XR is the road variant base model
    XRX middle
    XRT top line with the extras

XCx base model
    XCa top line with extras

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I had a 2015 XRT and regret selling it.
    Maybe not the most exciting bike, but very comfortable, very smooth and very capable.
    I had no issues with mine, and would probably buy another one.

I was doing a mix of commuting, and only downside was that it felt a little chunky on tight filtering/manoeuvring, I've got a BMW F750GS now and it's better at that tighter stuff, but Tiger for longer runs or motorway was a beaut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

I had a 2004 dl650 and now have a tiger (2011 since new). The DL was a solid dependable bike, top heavy and apt to catch any crosswind going. Honestly was shifted a lane across the N7 once in a storm. The Tiger is a solid dependable bike also and it puts a huge grin on my face, even after 9.5 years.
    Of the 2 I'd have the tiger in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

I have a 2012 Tiger 800, roadie version, about two months now.

Haven't ridden a DL so can't compare but really enjoying the Tiger.

Solid on the road. Nice hum off the triple too I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

OP here,thanks for all the replies.Some good info there.

I've nearly decided on the tiger.Seems a cracking bike by all accounts.

However in my quest I've come across the versys 1000 and its certainly turned my head.Looks an absolute beaut.

A bit dearer than the tiger but man what a bike.

My biking will consist of mainly weekend spins and 2 up touring with the missus.

Definitely a contender..decisions decisions..!

Thoughts..?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

How much are you looking to spend?? Did forget the Austrian oranges too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

stratowide wrote: »
    OP here,thanks for all the replies.Some good info there.

I've nearly decided on the tiger.Seems a cracking bike by all accounts.

However in my quest I've come across the versys 1000 and its certainly turned my head.Looks an absolute beaut.

A bit dearer than the tiger but man what a bike.

My biking will consist of mainly weekend spins and 2 up touring with the missus.

Definitely a contender..decisions decisions..!

Thoughts..?

Of all the Tigers, I'd pick the 1050.
    Which I did.

Gave a loan of my one to my brother one day and when he came he went off and bought one himself.

3-AD15304-A283-488-B-A055-292-D425-EF01-E-zpslqawuinl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

hedzball wrote: »
    How much are you looking to spend?? Did forget the Austrian oranges too!!

Between €8-9k.

Buddy of mine swears by them..bit too much agent orange in em for my liking though..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Might as well get the sport one then. :)

Was over at Triumph Dublin at the weekend, they have a very nice XRT 800 there. I quite like it.
    Couple of the new 900s on the floor - not sure if they are due out to new buyers.
    Went to Bikeworld as well purposely to see the Versys 1000s - whilst I didnt take it for a spin I wasn't impressed with the finish on them. They have a 191 one with 3.5k on the clock. Looks fairly weathered already. Maybe its not been ridden and just sat outside for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

GBX wrote: »
    Was over at Triumph Dublin at the weekend, they have a very nice XRT 800 there. I quite like it.
    Couple of the new 900s on the floor - not sure if they are due out to new buyers.
    Went to Bikeworld as well purposely to see the Versys 1000s - whilst I didnt take it for a spin I wasn't impressed with the finish on them. They have a 191 one with 3.5k on the clock. Looks fairly weathered already. Maybe its not been ridden and just sat outside for a while.
    Shame there isint a better level of finish on most bikes. How bad was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Never ridden the versys but the engine is the same as in my z1000sx but tuned a little less aggresively. It's a great engine but thats as far as my knowledge of it goes.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Shame there isint a better level of finish on most bikes. How bad was it?

Bit tatty paint. Rust on pipes and engine bolts not even surface rust. Didn't exude confidence in Kwaks considering its 2019 bike.

Advertisement