Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laser Shooting Robot

• 21-07-2015 9:02pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like an interesting project, but I wonder could the laser be acquired?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Itzy wrote: »

Looks like an interesting project, but I wonder could the laser be acquired?

The lasers are relatively easy to acquire. If you know some place where there is electronic waste, you get your hands on old CD rom players. And literally rip the component out. They have the same principle as the bog standard LED, but they fire lasers.

Blue lasers are the hottest and most powerful.

Red lasers are lower energy. I don't know what you'll find in the CD drives...I think some have blue and others have red. A blue laser would be best for burning things. How you get it to burn things, is by putting more current through it than it would have in a CD drive. You can lower or raise the power going through the laser by using a resistor. (I don't know the max power the cd lasers use - but you can find that out yourself)

Be incredibly careful. Just a fraction of a second looking in a powered up laser can permanently blind. You even have to be careful with reflections of lasers - that's why the guy is wearing sunglasses in the video.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd love to build it with a few modifications, such as a vision system to compliment the remote control feature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Itzy wrote: »
    I'd love to build it with a few modifications, such as a vision system to compliment the remote control feature.

There's a lot you could do with the stuff. Using something like a cheap web cam might also be a way of protecting your eyes. It's not safe to even look at the reflection of a burning laser.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I suppose that's a good point.

Advertisement