Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hooker is a major problem area. Rob Herring is the incumbent, but he's only ok at test level. The next senior option is Niall Scannell, but he's just ok as well. Ronan Kelleher is the great hope now, but he's just 22 years old and in his first full season of rugby. Cupboards seem a bit bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Madigan's "old Leinster form" couldn't get him a consistent starting role there and his career has fallen away since then. There's little to no chance of him getting capped again outside of a crazy injury crisis.

he wouldn’t be looking for a consistent starting spot. Steyn wasn’t exactly blowing people away with his form before the WC and was mostly used as a break glass in case of emergency. Madigan has obviously been crap for a while now but that doesn’t mean he can’t turn that around.

before this turns into a whole thing I am not advocating for dropping Carbery for Madigan or some other nonsense. just positing an idea that Farrell could play with should Madigan perform well in the interpros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Madigan's "old Leinster form" couldn't get him a consistent starting role there and his career has fallen away since then. There's little to no chance of him getting capped again outside of a crazy injury crisis.

I agree but we're not exactly spoiled with choices. Johnny and Joey have high enough injury profiles. Its easy enough to see a situation where they are both out. Then we have the two Byrnes, Billy Burns and Carty.All low to no caps. If Madigan finds form we could yet see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Niallof9 wrote: »
    If we don't throw caution to the wind this year then we never will. Hopefully the time off has given andy space to assess and get comfortable. We need a full reboot from the last 12 months imo. Maybe Murray rediscovers his form etc. Lowe is a no brainer. baird as well.

I don’t think Baird is a no brainier just yet. He’s got a great chance to put himself in the mix over the next month or two though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I really don't see Madigan picking up any more caps (during this window or otherwise) tbh. His first job is to get ahead of Burns at provincial level. We don't know if he'll even manage that yet, let alone get near international level.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    I really don't see Madigan picking up any more caps (during this window or otherwise) tbh. His first job is to get ahead of Burns at provincial level. We don't know if he'll even manage that yet, let alone get near international level.

I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more - Madigan getting picked for Ireland, or awec having to defend the selection :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Burns and O'Toole were full squad members who could have seen some game versus Italy. Whether they will now, with all the disruption, is another matter. But if be surprised if one or both of them aren't new caps in thid upcoming run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

My stab at a squad:

LH: Healy, Kilcoyne, McGrath
    HK: Herring, Kelleher, Heffernan
    TH: Furlong, Porter, O'Toole, Bealham
    LK: Ryan, Toner, Henderson, Roux, Thornbury
    BS: Stander, Jos. Murphy, O'Donoghue
    No. 8: Doris, Deegan
    SH: Murray, Cooney, McGrath
    OH: Sexton, R. Byrne, Frawley, H. Byrne
    LW: Lowe, Larmour
    IC: Aki, Henshaw
    OC: Ringrose, T. Farrell
    RW: Baloucoune, Conway
    FB: Stockdale, Gallagher

I’d rather see Larmour at 15 than Stockdale. Think Stockdale has too many holes in his game at the moment and not convinced he’d make a good fullback (I know he played there at underage levels but this is senior rugby). Defensive positioning and decision making are his weak points on the wing and I think it’d be magnified at 15. That’s not to say he’ll never make a very good fullback but just think Larmour is well ahead of him for 15 at the moment.

Now Lowe at 15 with Larmour at 14 and Stockdale at 11 could very well be an option. Lowe’s defence has come on hugely since he first joined and he’s got a big boot on him. Pretty sure he’s played a bit of 15 in NZ too. Didn’t he start for the Maori against the Lions at 15? Imagine Lowe breaking the defensive line and getting an offload off to Stockdale :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

My stab at a squad:

Reidy over Van der Flier?
    Also think Conan could well play him self into squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

clsmooth wrote: »
    I’d rather see Larmour at 15 than Stockdale. Think Stockdale has too many holes in his game at the moment and not convinced he’d make a good fullback (I know he played there at underage levels but this is senior rugby). Defensive positioning and decision making are his weak points on the wing and I think it’d be magnified at 15. That’s not to say he’ll never make a very good fullback but just think Larmour is well ahead of him for 15 at the moment.

Now Lowe at 15 with Larmour at 14 and Stockdale at 11 could very well be an option. Lowe’s defence has come on hugely since he first joined and he’s got a big boot on him. Pretty sure he’s played a bit of 15 in NZ too. Didn’t he start for the Maori against the Lions at 15? Imagine Lowe breaking the defensive line and getting an offload off to Stockdale :eek:

Stockdale played a couple games at 15 last season for Ulster, most notably against Quins in the Champions Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Kleyn for Thornbury, VDF for Reidy and one of Conan/Leavy for Josh Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Marty Moore .......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not sure we'd go as far as a 45 man squad. Possibly 42 along the lines of:

LH: Healy, Killer, McGrath
    HK: Kelleher, Herring, Scannell
    TH: Furlong, Porter, O'Toole
    LK: Ryan, Henderson, Toner, Kleyn, Baird, Beirne
    BS: Stander, POM, Ruddock
    N8: Conan, Doris, Deegan

SH: Murray, McGrath, Cooney
    OH: Sexton, Carbery, R Byrne, Carty
    OC: Ringrose, C Farrell
    WG: Earls, Stockdale, Lowe, Balacoune, D Kearney
    FB: Larmour, Conway

jacothelad wrote: »
    Marty Moore .......

O'Toole was ahead of him earlier in the year. I'd assume that would remain the case.

molloyjh wrote: »
    O'Toole was ahead of him earlier in the year. I'd assume that would remain the case.
    O'Toole beings mobility but Moore is simply a better tight head at the primary role of a prop. O'Toole might and hopefully will get better as a scrummager but he would need to as he is just o.k. If Ireland were defending a 5m scrum or attacking near the opponents line I know which of the 2 would be better. It depends on how Marty has managed the pies and pizzas over the last few months...:D:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    O'Toole beings mobility but Moore is simply a better tight head at the primary role of a prop. O'Toole might and hopefully will get better as a scrummager but he would need to as he is just o.k. If Ireland were defending a 5m scrum or attacking near the opponents line I know which of the 2 would be better. It depends on how Marty has managed the pies and pizzas over the last few months...:D:D

Better than I have hopefully. :D

My stab at a squad:

Forgot Baird. Stick him in there. Could he make his international bow before he appears in the European Cup? It's a real possibility with Cullen opting to keep Fardy on rather than backing the emergent homegrown talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Forgot Baird. Stick him in there. Could he make his international bow before he appears in the European Cup? It's a real possibility with Cullen opting to keep Fardy on rather than backing the emergent homegrown talent.

Yes because Leinster have a huge issue with bringing young players into the team :-)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes because Leinster have a huge issue with bringing young players into the team :-)

They're quite slow to bring new players into the first choice XXIII. It usually takes an injury for someone to get in - even if soon after they look better than the previous incumbent.

I suppose it's the nature of the game in Ireland. Internationals are almost a protected species when it comes to selection. Things tend to be very stable, with little in the way of top players going overseas like you might see in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They're quite slow to bring new players into the first choice XXIII. It usually takes an injury for someone to get in - even if soon after they look better than the previous incumbent.

I suppose it's the nature of the game in Ireland. Internationals are almost a protected species when it comes to selection. Things tend to be very stable, with little in the way of top players going overseas like you might see in NZ.

So now you want to ship off our players oversea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ideally we'd learn from the next six games;
    - how we're fixed at hooker, this is our biggest problem position IMO
    - who will succeed Toner to join Ryan and Henderson in the first-choice 23
    - how can we balance the back row
    - can Carbery stay fit and is he up to test level
    - can Lowe, Baloucoune or AN Other become a test-level winger, and can Stockdale rediscover his 2018 form

Even if we got answers to three of those I'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Apart from Larmour and Ryan, who both started a Champions Cup final in their debut season. Think it's more if you're good enough you're old enough.

- can Lowe, Baloucoune or AN Other become a test-level winger, and can Stockdale rediscover his 2018 form

If Kelleher isn't the answer at hooker then we're likely waiting on a good academy prospect to put their hand up. I don't think Scannell is going to cut it and whilst I thought Herring went well for us in the six nations he's 30 and has 11 caps so a late breakthrough is unlikely.

There are a handful of impressive young locks coming through and we've the likes of Roux, Klyne to call on if stuck, or have Beirne start in the row.

Back row is an issue. We don't have the power to deal with England / South Africa at the moment and bar Leavy there is no proven back row option to balance out the trio. We do have prospects though so it's important to give good game time and see who shines.

Carbery is 100% test standard but he's made of glass. If he can stay fit for a season he'll be flying it - I just wish he was being coached by Lancaster / Contemponi.

Lowe is going to walk into the team. Farrell was queried on him recently and seemed pretty exuberant. I also think Stockdale has all the attributes that saw him tear onto the scene in 2018, he's a younger player and when the entire team went off the boil it's not a surprise that this impacted him too. I've no doubt we'll see fireworks from him again soon enough. Lowe, Larmour, Stockdale is a fantastic back three.

Venjur wrote: »
    If Kelleher isn't the answer at hooker then we're likely waiting on a good academy prospect to put their hand up. I don't think Scannell is going to cut it and whilst I thought Herring went well for us in the six nations he's 30 and has 11 caps so a late breakthrough is unlikely.

There are a handful of impressive young locks coming through and we've the likes of Roux, Klyne to call on if stuck, or have Beirne start in the row.

Back row is an issue. We don't have the power to deal with England / South Africa at the moment and bar Leavy there is no proven back row option to balance out the trio. We do have prospects though so it's important to give good game time and see who shines.

Carbery is 100% test standard but he's made of glass. If he can stay fit for a season he'll be flying it - I just wish he was being coached by Lancaster / Contemponi.

Lowe is going to walk into the team. Farrell was queried on him recently and seemed pretty exuberant. I also think Stockdale has all the attributes that saw him tear onto the scene in 2018, he's a younger player and when the entire team went off the boil it's not a surprise that this impacted him too. I've no doubt we'll see fireworks from him again soon enough. Lowe, Larmour, Stockdale is a fantastic back three.

Our wing options seem to be pretty good.

Earls may be a veteran but he is still good.

Conway is a top player. I think he is a real all round talent. Stockdale we know about...fingers crossed.

Lowe is a crowd pleaser and a star quality player.

Larmour is an option if needed there.

Then we have Baloucoune who seems to have arrived fully formed and feck me he is quick. I wonder does he have a kicking game. That is important.

Perhaps Aaron Sexton will also make the grade.

It's a pity Lyttle is so injury prone as he is one very gifted player but made of candy floss.

Then there are a host of other very competent guys elsewhere who wouldn't look out of place.
    There are also 1 or 2 recent U20 guys who look likely too.

So how would we like to see a back 3 of Larmour, Lowe and Stockdale line up? What’s the best balance in terms of wing/fullback

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

clsmooth wrote: »
    So how would we like to see a back 3 of Larmour, Lowe and Stockdale line up? What’s the best balance in terms of wing/fullback

Larmour at FB for me, but I also think Conway was possibly our best player during the 6 Nations so I'd be surprised if he was the one to miss out.

Personally, I'd go:
    15: Larmour
    14: Conway
    11: Lowe

23: Stockdale or Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Kelleher
    Baird
    Balance or options isnt prob. Just no world class Power in BR
    Unlikely & Yes
    Lowe is test quality. High hopes for Baloucane.

My take. I feel we have a fair idea where we are player wise.
    Hope to see progress in how we attack and a phasing out of the old guard.
    - Develop our attack. Particularly kick attack
    - Balance Back 3. 15. Larmour, 14. Balaucane & 11 Lowe & Stockdale?
    - Sexton & Earls to be phased out sooner rather than later

& Casey at 9. I hope he gets to start a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Regarding the hooker options, Kelleher should hopefully take the starting position imminently. Definitely the standout currently. Heffernan, Herring and Scannell all capable players but none will go down as Irish greats.

I have extremely high hopes for Dan Sheehan (not saying he should be involved in the upcoming Irish squad by the way) but he offers a genuine destructive ball carrying ability that the Irish pack has been sorely lacking for a while now.

If we could get a strong carrier like that it opens up the room to get a better balance in the back row I feel also.

Kelleher sets himself apart from the other right now with tremendous athleticism, deceptive pace and is very strong in the carry himself. Could become a crucial player in green in the coming months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

aloooof wrote: »
    Larmour at FB for me, but I also think Conway was possibly our best player during the 6 Nations so I'd be surprised if he was the one to miss out.

Personally, I'd go:
    15: Larmour
    14: Conway
    11: Lowe

23: Stockdale or Earls

Yes Conway has earned the jersey at this stage and if his form of the last 12 months continues, he should be the first choice wing. With Lowe and Stockdale battling for the other wing. Lowe has a bit to prove yet, to show he can step up to international. Though he offers something no other Irish wing does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement