Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronnie has been sporadic in this tournament at best, the first match he was playing a non entity, Ding was terrible and had chance after chance to punish Ronnie but consistently failed to do so, Ronnie played a bit better against Williams especially in the latter stages of the match but he still allowed Williams to amass a 7 - 2 lead, if he had let Selby do that he wouldn't be in the semi finals.

Look Ronnie is a great player so has a chance no doubt but overall in a best of 33 Selby is a heavy favorite.
    Sporadic yet still the heaviest scorer in the tournament. Also everybody talking up Selby but he has been poor for a couple of seasons now. He was even poor in his opening two rounds here. Yes, he was excellent against Robbo but still with a bit to prove before we can say he's back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

McGill barely survived the first couple of rounds, and Wilson didn't have to play the first round, he produced a good standard to upset Judd, who was below par. At least we will know the answer when they play, predictions often don't work out. What will we do when it's all over

Only 8 months to wait for the next year's world's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Noone is a non-entity in the first round of the Worlds.

Ding didn't play that badly, Ronnie had to win that match and he did.

I don't really get why you think Selby is a fav over Ronnie. Just because over 33 frames? Calling a favourite like the bookies do is based on current form, last years form, all sorts of factors. Imo the factors are on Ronnies side. You are free to disagree, but if you'r calling it just because of best of 33? Well I wouldn't do so on that basis, as if Ronnie can't hold himself together that long.

I make Selby a big favourite because of how Ronnie played against Williams. Missed easy balls in so many frames. Selby won’t let him away with that. He’ll pinch frames every time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Pighead wrote: »
    Sporadic yet still the heaviest scorer in the tournament. Also everybody talking up Selby but he has been poor for a couple of seasons now. He was even poor in his opening two rounds here. Yes, he was excellent against Robbo but still with a bit to prove before we can say he's back to his best.

Selby looked like he did at his peak against Robertson. Pure granite. Peak Ronnie couldn’t handle peak Selby and Ronnie is no at his peak.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

Selby is massive value from a betting point of view. I think it's a very hard match to call but I'd have Selby as slight favourite given the current trajectories of both players. I think Selby is on an upswing form wise(pure looking at this tournament) at just the right time while Ronnie is either flattening or on a slight upward one.

Selby was excellent in the last round while I thought Ronnie was quite inconsistent. Ronnie can't afford a poor session like he did again mark and I just not that confident that Ronnie doesn't have one really bad session in him while I can't see Selby ending up 5-6 down at any stage.

I think Ronnie needs to come out strong and blow him out of the water as quickly as possible. if Selby takes 4 frame lead at any stage I think he will then just be in an ideal position to grind him down and frustrate him.

If I was Selby I'd be feeling very confident in my game plan and tactics. Not sure Ronnie would be feeling the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Whatever about missing the odd easy ball or throwing in a loose safety, I've not seen Ronnie this focused in a long time and I've watched pretty much every televised match of his for the last several years.

Here's Ronnie talking to Hendry about the 2014 final during the summer:

https://twitter.com/_RocketFan147/status/1293296570578984960

Brian? wrote: »
    Selby looked like he did at his peak against Robertson. Pure granite. Peak Ronnie couldn’t handle peak Selby and Ronnie is no at his peak.
    Not entirely true. Ronnie well ahead on the head to head and if you're putting peak Selby in or around 2014 when Selby gave Ronnie a bit of a spanking in the World Final how would you explain the absolute tanking Ronnie gave Selby in the Masters final and also beat him in three subsequent matches after that 2014 final.

Think they've only played each twice at World's with one of them being a very close Selby win so not much evidence that Ronnie couldn't handle Selby at his peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

No doubt the ability to score heavy is still there, but to me it feels like there is a kind of fragility to his game, he's missing so many easy pots and his judgment on shots has been questionable, Selby will punish him for this.

Im only judging them on the basis of this tournament, I know Selby's form has been poor for a while but to me he gets stronger as tournaments go on, if Ronnie continues playing the way he is then I feel Selby over a best of 33 will be just too much for him, we know Selby will battle and grind from start to finish.

You never though, if Ronnie can go up another gear and clean up his game, iron out those mistakes then obviously he's more than capable of winning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ronnie all day long for me, but i won't watch the bore that is Mark Selby.
    All this he's a grinder and granite ect, his talent is limited in relation to the great players, the great breakbuilders.
    So he basically plays in slow motion and will play safe, safe safe safe until a ball is basically hanging over a pocket where
    he'll scrape over the line in a frame/match.
    Worst snooker player to watch ever, imo.

No doubt the ability to score heavy is still there, but to me it feels like there is a kind of fragility to his game, he's missing so many easy pots and his judgment on shots has been questionable, Selby will punish him for this.

Im only judging them on the basis of this tournament, I know Selby's form has been poor for a while but to me he gets stronger as tournaments go on, if Ronnie continues playing the way he is then I feel Selby over a best of 33 will be just too much for him, we know Selby will battle and grind from start to finish.

You never though, if Ronnie can go up another gear and clean up his game, iron out those mistakes then obviously he's more than capable of winning.
    Time will tell but I think Ronnie's form has been better during this tournament. Scoring heavy, safety play very good. Positional play needs improving and has to cut out silly mistakes but he showed from 10-10 last night with Williams he has another gear. But for the missed blue in the last frame to seal the win it was a near flawless last three frames.

Yes, Selby will be feeling confident right now after beating Robbo but old doubts will surely surface if his back is up against the wall should Ronnie start well. Intriguing battle ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Funny thing: people suggest he bored and ground robertson out of their qf, just playing safety and winnng the tactical exchanges. Yet most of the frames that went the distance in that match were actually won by Robertson. I think people tend to paint peak selby as this one dimensional character who can only win one way. Always thought he was at his imperious best when he mixed it up, attacked or defended at the right times, brilliant shot selection that rarely got it wrong. When his long game is on song, it makes him difficult to beat.

Also, noticing a few comments regarding tables playing a bit heavy. Robbo mentioned it yesterday and that probably helps selby a little if that continues on one table set up. Selby noticeably has always done well in china where those kind of conditions generally prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Have stuck a tenner on McGill for the title @ 14/1, surely a decent price in any four-horse race.
    Had considered backing him for his quarter @ 18s and don't want to be kicking myself again if he does the unthinkable.:p

I think Wilson must win this well, but there's nothing wrong with 14/1. He's surprised a few already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Renewed weirdness with the single table empty arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

All this he's a grinder and granite ect, his talent is limited in relation to the great players, the great breakbuilders.
    So he basically plays in slow motion and will play safe, safe safe safe until a ball is basically hanging over a pocket where

He’s arguably the best player of the last 10 years and also is 6th in the all time centuries list, more than many of the “fancier” players like Ding, Murphy, Allen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think Wilson must win this well, but there's nothing wrong with 14/1. He's surprised a few already.

18s with Boyles. I think he has shot against Wilson. Tbh I wouldn't give him a prayer in the final but if he got that far I'd likely cash out if he took the lead at any stage.:P

Positive start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Love to see McGill win this. I'm sure he'd rather be pllaying Wilson than the likes of John Higgins. He wont fear Wilson and why should he? Wilson was 1/4 to win this match which is too skinny for me. I would make Wilson favourite but around 8/11 sounds more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,572 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Selby is a lot more than what you are describing.

Excellent everywhere. Similar to Higgins.

Break builder, potter, tactics, temperament, safety, stamina, concentration

He can beat you at any game...

He is top 5 or 6 all-time when all at peak

• Registered Users Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can't believe ronnie is favourite to win title. Both Wilson 10/3 and Selby 3-1 , grand on both and you still win 2k

• Advertisement

Can't believe ronnie is favourite to win title. Both Wilson 10/3 and Selby 3-1 , grand on both and you still win 2k
    Neither of whom may be in the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Neither of whom may be in the final!

Come on, both will be ... mostly likely, but odds suggest it's not most likely. Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Hoping Wilson wins this one. I'm surprised to see McGill get into a 3-0 lead straight out of the blocks

At last, reds have opened up a bit. Looked like it was going to a re-rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Because of the magnitude and importance of this semi final i expect to see Ronnie play close to the best of his ability. He will know if he can beat Selby he will deep down fancy winning the final. No Trump. No Higgins. No Robertson. If you told him he'd reach the final v McGill or Wilson he'd be licking his lips.

He's definately nowhere near his peak and a bad miss is never far away but if he plays to his strengths and keeps knocking in heavy breaks when in the balls well then he is well capable of beating Selby.

Before when they played i think he didn't really respect Selby's game and thought his natural talent would be good enough and it used to kill him to lose to a player he felt was inferior. As the years have gone on Ronnie now accepts Selby's greatness and instead of fearing losing to him i think he now embraces the challenge of an equal. Thats a much better frame of mind to have.

Selby is a brilliant player but hasn't been as imperious over the last couple of years and Ronnie knows this. No doubt at times Selby's hard match play will grind away at Ronnie's gears and the relentless safety play, soul sapping roll ups and energy sapping wasting of time and studying shots for what seems an age is all coming Ronnie's way again. Selby's game face is a frightening sight on tv. Imagine having to look at him two feet away for four sessions of hard snooker? Good luck in that one Rocket.

Ronnie may laugh and joke about it now but i think he can handle Selbys torturous game a little better than before and because this is one more (and possibly last) great chance to get to another final it will ensure Ronnie gives 100% maximum attention and won't lose focus. Ronnie will be desperate to beat Selby in a big match at Sheffield. He has never forgotten his most painful defeat in that final loss and if he could somehow beat him in this huge semi final it would go a little way to soothing the agony of that defeat.

A really fascinating match as much in the psychological side as on the table itself. I'm letting my heart rule my head a little and think Ronnie will get one over on his old nemesis and go on to win the final.

That was actually a decent half chance for mcgill to get right back into, or even steal that frame. Surprised he missed the red way he'd been going. Decent start regardless though he probably needed it.

Wilson has looked very edgy, some very nervy and loose shots. Plenty of experience so I'm more inclined to attribute it to the burden of expectation. Sometimes easier when you're not the very warm favourite.

Federer is the Ronnie of tennis :)

Just caught the last bit of Ron on about a few tennis players :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Because of the magnitude and importance of this semi final i expect to see Ronnie play close to the best of his ability. He will know if he can beat Selby he will deep down fancy winning the final. No Trump. No Higgins. No Robertson. If you told him he'd reach the final v McGill or Wilson he'd be licking his lips.

He's definately nowhere near his peak and a bad miss is never far away but if he plays to his strengths and keeps knocking in heavy breaks when in the balls well then he is well capable of beating Selby.

Yeah, if Ronnie is in the frame-of-mind for it, the Semi could arguably be a bigger test for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

More likely you will be 2 grand poorer

Advertisement