Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk Management issue

• 12-08-2020 9:01am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I upgraded my system recently with help from the Building and Upgrading forum. Prior to that, I put in an SSD myself and kept the HD.

The first time I hooked everything back up, the optical drive wasn't working. Checked it and the SATA wasn't in, rookie error. Sorted. However, it's not working again.

Picture of the state of play the moment.

C is the SSD.
    For the mechanical HD, I was trying to bring together the New Volume 580GB and 350 GB free space, but got stuck.

"The operation you selected will convert the basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the dynamic disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to started installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) except the current boot volume."

Are you sure - clicked Yes.

"There's not enough space available to continue this operation."

I thought I could just format both and bring them together, or leave one that's a new partition (the 580) and plonk the other (350) onto it. Must be something here I'm not doing right.

Don't know why the DVD drive won't play when it's listed here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You wont be able to extend volume 580GB+350GB as you have 525MB partition between.
    I you want to use Disk0 as whole you need to format it(backup data beforehand) and rebuild partition.
    If Win on new disk was installed while HDD was present on the system, Windows installer might have reused partitions from HDD - formating it might render system not booting. Try booting into system with HDD disconnected first, if it boot OK, you good to format HDD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You wont be able to extend volume 580GB+350GB as you have 525MB partition between.
    I you want to use Disk0 as whole you need to format it(backup data beforehand) and rebuild partition.
    If Win on new disk was installed while HDD was present on the system, Windows installer might have reused partitions from HDD - formating it might render system not booting. Try booting into system with HDD disconnected first, if it boot OK, you good to format HDD.

Thanks. A few weeks ago I cloned the original HDD to the new SSD. Then however, with the upgrade of the motherboard and other components, the lads in the Building and Upgrading forum said a clean install was the way to go due to the new motherboard, etc. I did that. I had left the HDD unplugged during the upgrade and now want to sort this hence the thread here. I've formatted the HDD, don't need to worry about data loss as all photos and stuff are on the SSD.

The point I've highlighted in bold is where I'm currently stuck, I think. Do I get rid of the 525MB?

I've formatted the HDD, don't need to worry about data loss as all photos and stuff are on the SSD.

The point I've highlighted in bold is where I'm currently stuck, I think. Do I get rid of the 525MB?

Once no concerns about data...
    CMD (as admin)
    diskpart hit Enter
    list disk hit Enter
    select disk 0 hit Enter (ensure Disk 0 is HDD you want to wipe)
    clean hit Enter (after this no return, disk will show in Disk Manager as un-formated, all data gone)
    Exit hit Enter
    close CMD

now create partition on your clean-wiped disk from Disk Manager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks. I've done that.

Disk 0 now has 931.51GB and says 'not initialised'....

If I try to initialise, the options are MBR or GPT.

Disk 1 is GPT so I've gone with that.

Disk 0 is now New Volume E, Healthy Basic Disc Data Partition. Looks OK.

DVD drive still not playing music CDs.

Thanks. I've done that.

Disk 0 now has 931.51GB and says 'not initialised'....

If I try to initialise, the options are MBR or GPT.

Disk 1 is GPT so I've gone with that.

Disk 0 is now New Volume E, Healthy Basic Disc Data Partition. Looks OK.

DVD drive still not playing music CDs.
    Good, Disk0 sorted, you've done it! :D

You must have your reasons to care of DVD/CD drive these days....
    DVD drive, according you screenshot, is recognized as D: - should work.
    Are you getting any error while attempt to play or its just nothing?

What media player you are using? F*** MS build in, get yourself proper player, VLC is v.good and free...
    Does PC recognize media inserted?
    What disks you trying to play? Are they origin or rip (other)
    What file format on them? CDA, MP3, other?

• Advertisement

I'll be asked why it's not working. :pac: It used to be for copying discs, back when that was a thing...

I'd forgotten about VLC, good old stalwart that is. Tried it twice, program not responding.

D popped up down near system tray and asked me what I'd like to do with this removable device. Then said the directory wasn't valid...

Then said the directory wasn't valid...

See this thread, as i understood you had UEFI updated, could be similar

I swapped the SATA cables around, only 3 slots, iirc. Now the D drive is gone. Will look at that thread in more detail.

I swapped the SATA cables around, only 3 slots, iirc. Now the D drive is gone. Will look at that thread in more detail.
    ?!
    Some not right.
    Ensure power and SATA cables plugged in firm, both ends.
    Does it appear in UEFI?
    Refer to MoBo(make/model?) manual regard SATA config
    Is it gone from File Explorer or from Disk Manager as well?
    It could be it just didn't got letter assigned, you can do it manually.

SATA cable had come out...:rolleyes:

Computer said something about scanning/repairing C upon starting up which was a little concerning.

Put in Whitnail and I DVD. VLC recognised it, I've never watched that film. :o Also played a music CD.

Had an old laptop drive from an old Dell. Threw it on via USB/SATA adapter. Formatted it, now have 288GB. May as well keep it for something otherwise it'll just go to the recycling centre. Also have two 3.5" inches, but other than the Windows chime when you connect something...nothing. One was in a Mac, so...

• Advertisement

So i'll take you are sorted, for now anyway.
    Put in Whitnail and I DVD. VLC recognised it, I've never watched that film. :o Also played a music CD.
    I didn't even know it existed...watched trailer.... i think i pass... :D
    Had an old laptop drive from an old Dell. Threw it on via USB/SATA adapter. Formatted it, now have 288GB. May as well keep it for something otherwise it'll just go to the recycling centre. Also have two 3.5" inches, but other than the Windows chime when you connect something...nothing. One was in a Mac, so...
    Be cautious using scavenged old drives, at least don't store valuable data on it without proper backup.

Be cautious using scavenged old drives, at least don't store valuable data on it without proper backup.

Due to their age? One has a manufacturing date of 2009. Guess the laptop one (equally ancient) could work as a large USB stick or for recording off the TV.

Due to their age? One has a manufacturing date of 2009. Guess the laptop one (equally ancient) could work as a large USB stick or for recording off the TV.
    2009 its not even SATA3(6Gbit/s) i guess, likely SATAII(3Gbit/s) - performance down.
    Myself conservative old fart :D, i think things 20 years ago where build to last, some of them anyway, however, €/GB these days are so low its not worth risk your lifetime pictures over €50-60 for new 2TB disk. And old, not in use stuff tend to be "kicked around" so - status unknown.
    I had scavenged disks in use, even in RAID0 for performance, but i knew it was disposable data on them.
    Your call.

As for SATA data cable popping out, i guess you use old/cheap ones
    Get yourself with clips on them - less hassle/error
    red-18-sata-iii-6gb-data-cable-right-angle-to-straight-with-clips-54.png

2009 its not even SATA3(6Gbit/s) i guess, likely SATAII(3Gbit/s) - performance down.
    Myself conservative old fart :D, i think things 20 years ago where build to last, some of them anyway, however, €/GB these days are so low its not worth risk your lifetime pictures over €50-60 for new 2TB disk. And old, not in use stuff tend to be "kicked around" so - status unknown.
    I had scavenged disks in use, even in RAID0 for performance, but i knew it was disposable data on them.
    Your call.

Yeah, 3Gbit is marked on one, iirc. I remember those days too.

They'll have an appointment with a hammer, so.
    As for SATA data cable popping out, i guess you use old/cheap ones
    Get yourself with clips on them - less hassle/error

I ordered one to arrive with the SSD (Crucial), it has a clip. One came with the motherboard too, but I didn't use it. Pink, blue and black are all in there. I was mistaken, it was the power cable that had come loose.

Advertisement