Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

• 08-03-2020 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

*MOD NOTE*
    Any information or news posted needs to be in the public domain and/or from a credible source

Anyone who has been to an affected region (mainland China, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Iran and four regions in northern Italy) in the last 14 days AND is experiencing symptoms should immediately self-isolate and ring their GP
    More info https://connachttribune.ie/five-new-cases-of-coronavirus-in-ireland/

Hand sanitiser is not available in any chemist I have been to.
    You can manufacture your own by using isopropyl alcohol.
    Don't touch other people, waving hello works too.
    Can you work from home?

There is a visitor ban for the hospital. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120709-hospital-restrictions-virus/

Don't forget to keep an eye on Galway city twitter https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo for local news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sixth class students at a school in Galway have been asked not to come to school after it emerged they had been in contact with someone who was infected with Covid-19.

It's understood the students in the class received a talk from the person, who has since been diagnosed as infected with Covid-19, and as a precaution, the HSE and the school have asked the students and teachers in the class to remain away from the school.

https://www.joe.ie/news/6th-class-students-galway-school-told-stay-home-due-potential-coronavirus-exposure-694231

Now with non-joe source
    https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/37231-a-sixth-class-at-craughwell-n-s-galway-advised-to-stay-home-having-come-in-contact-with-a-confirmed-case-of-coronavirus
    The HSE has advised some pupils in a county Galway national school to stay at home after it emerged they had been in contact with a confirmed case of a person with the coronavirus.
    Craughwell National School were directed by the HSE in a letter yesterday to advise 6th class pupils, their class teacher and a Special Needs Assistant that they were not permitted to attend school today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

What’s the point of this thread?

It’s just going to become another breeding ground for rumour and hysteria. It’s already off to a good start with a joe.ie article being posted.

If this thread helps some local people from catching the virus by using preventative methods then it's worth it.
    It's also for information that some schools/businesses may close temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

How will posting rumours and joe.ie articles prevent people from getting Covid-19?

ronnie3585, don't post in this thread anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

yeah this is all well and good, but this virus will thrive due to the lack of personal awareness or respect towards others when it comes to the dumbest and mankiest amongst us, how many children asked to stay at home from school will actually stay at home and not be running around town with their mates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

biko wrote: »
    ronnie3585, don't post in this thread anymore.

Biko, unless you can prove Ronnie is in violation of boards rules then you have no right to make that demand. You cannot make up the rules as you go along. Watch your moderation behavior or I will be taking it up with the higher ups.

flazio wrote: »
    Watch your moderation behavior or I will be taking it up with the higher ups.
    Do report me if you think I am out of line.

pure.conya wrote: »
    how many children asked to stay at home from school will actually stay at home and not be running around town with their mates
    Hopefully the parents will manage to keep them somewhat isolated. And with computers etc these days I'm sure the kids won't mind staying home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mods' rule OK and Biko is a long established mod.
    Do not discuss moderation inthread.

• Advertisement

If you want to discuss the validity of this thread, post in Feedback

This thread is intended to help people save themselves or their loved ones from infectious disease, let's try to do just that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

If you want to discuss the validity of this thread, post in Feedback

This thread is intended to help people save themselves or their loved ones from infectious disease, let's try to do just that.

Sounds like there’s a lot of scaremongering on this thread mainly by a long established moderator who should know better. Can the mods put up a few rules of this thread? Like no false rumours from click bail sites like joe.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

More info https://connachttribune.ie/five-new-cases-of-coronavirus-in-ireland/

Hand sanitiser is not available in any chemist I have been to.
    You can manufacture your own by using isopropyl alcohol.
    /[/url]

If this thread is really for educating the locals, soap and water is just as effective if not better than any of the gels. Let’s deal in accurate scientific facts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ratracer

It won’t be long before the pitch fork brigade are out in force! Yet the ones who are loudest in their social media outcry’s will be the first ones in to the parade on St Patrick’s Day if it goes ahead.

Keep your hands washed, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I grabbed the last Dettol bottle in Dealz earlier
    clutching it for dear life as I hum
    ♫ Hands, touching hands, Reaching out, touching me, touching you
    Sweet Caroline, Good times never seemed so good ♪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ratracer

zell12 wrote: »
    I grabbed the last Dettol bottle in Dealz earlier
    clutching it for dear life as I hum
    ♫ Hands, touching hands, Reaching out, touching me, touching you
    Sweet Caroline, Good times never seemed so good ♪

How much do you want for it?? ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ratracer wrote: »
    Yet the ones who are loudest in their social media outcry’s will be the first ones in to the parade on St Patrick’s Day if it goes ahead.
    What on earth makes you think this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I see this everywhere now. People are using the virus to get a bit of the power trip. Pointless thread for such a fast moving topic.
    Social media has already produced enough misinformation and panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The only hand wash song anyone needs:

♫ Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you ♪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Joe.ie is not a reputable news source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭timmyntc

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Joe.ie is not a reputable news source.

? There's a HSE statement on the matter.

<Rumour removed, mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Seems parades are dropping like flies today. Cork and now Dublin cancelling.

Would anyone go even if it was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

(IF it's true) I'm confused why people would insist certain kids be quarantined (that class that came in contact with someone) yet their siblings could come to school. So far we see (thankfully!) that kids get less sick from it but also seem to be asymptomatic carriers.
    Surely if your sister is home playing with you and sick, it follows that you should stay home too? Kids are lovely little germ factories, as those who work with them a lot know.
    Genuine question. I don't see the logic in selective isolation. Perhaps it is limiting but to me it is actually prolonging?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seems parades are dropping like flies today. Cork and now Dublin cancelling.

Would anyone go even if it was on?

I'd go to outdoor stuff for sure no problem, but the big 'crowd crush' of some huge parades has never been appealing to me as an audience member, zombie virus or not!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

So eh, anyone know where someone could get hand sanitiser in Galway these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

Zzippy wrote: »
    So eh, anyone know where someone could get hand sanitiser in Galway these days?

Joe.ie should provide you with the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I sincerely hope the City Council do the right thing now during this time of crisis with Coronavirus and cancel the parade. At this stage they could not and should not go ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope the City Council do the right thing now during this time of crisis with Coronavirus and cancel the parade. At this stage they could not and should not go ahead.

Totally disagree

The whole thing is blown out of proportion

What about the flu 44 dead this winter

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0116/1107907-flu-hse-winter-season/

Why is flu jab not madatory why no outcry

How many dead this winter from driving. Ban cars and solve the traffic

May as well lock oneself away and wither away . isolating and cutting people off only leads to more issues depression mental health etc

Panic by media and government

• Advertisement

A rumour removed a bit further up in thread.
    Please have official sources for any changes in numbers of affected, or locations.

Advertisement