Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

70.3 worlds

Options
  • 08-09-2019 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

With two fingers to bike tech, the 70.3 is being won on a road bike this morning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Surprising win all the same. Great running from lden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

What did ye make of the two guys cycling next to him for his run?

Commentators mentioned he'd get penalised if they were coaches /family /friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Talking to one of the females from yesterday she reckons a road bike would make up a lot of time on the back half with technical descents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Surprising win all the same. Great running from lden.

Yeah probably a surprise.. he did have a great race last weekend at itu finals in Lausanne when finishing 4th. Also another Norwegian Blummenfelt running strong to take 4th place.

British men Smales and Bowden ( who battled it out with Chris Mintern in 70.3 Dun Laoghaire ) finished 20 and 21st just ahead of Patrick Lange..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Ceepo wrote: »
    Yeah probably a surprise.. he did have a great race last weekend at itu finals in Lausanne when finishing 4th. Also another Norwegian Blummenfelt running strong to take 4th place.

British men Smales and Bowden ( who battled it out with Chris Mintern in 70.3 Dun Laoghaire ) finished 20 and 21st just ahead of Patrick Lange..

With such a stacked field it was some performance. It was a great weekend of racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

EC1000 wrote: »
    With two fingers to bike tech, the 70.3 is being won on a road bike this morning!

i just dont think thats right this was a course where it did not matter if you used an tt bike or an aero bike. it was more important what skills you have. he won because he was the best athlete out there ( and realisitcally only one of 3 athletes who could have won this race besides alistair and blummefled and if you want you can have gomes but it was relatiely clear based on last years race he would not be able to follow alister on the climb.
    the race favorite was alistair but then it was him and blummefeld ( they are top itu guys and hae shown that they are alos top oer 70,3)

to me the surprise was rudy vom berg who i saw more like a 5-6 place and he had obiously all the gear including a disc wheel. ie i think he performed just as well or maybe een a bit better than iden ( an ber obiously knew the course better than anybody so thats a valuable advantage)
    you saw where an aero road bike was faster and where a tt bike was faster and iden won as he raced smart ie he used otheres as much as he could to pace off and frankly speaking he could not hae complained had he gotten a drafting penalty.

the bigger leson was do not race on a bike that was gien to you 5 days before the race ( blummefeld )

many people like kienle and lange had considert aero road bikes
    and the likes of angerer and starky did well on a earo road bike
    at the same the only one who crasehd was also on an aero road bike

like wise disc brake or no disc dosnt matter either.

at the end it was won by an itu guy that also did a 300 k a 270 k ride over the winter and a group who their interals slower than most itu atheltes and regualrly cycle 15 hours a week . . and of course his first sport was cycling which was also useful for this course .
    that he made the first pack in the swim which was a bit of a suprise as this is his weakness, he run 1;12 of the bike as a 20 year old ...
    i did have a smile on my face when i saw he was first pack after the swim
    ( i made 260 euro yesteday as he was 50/1. i had also 20 on alistair
    so the only surprise was that amberger could not swim away from iden.

btw what a bike course this was the best race ever and while the run as not quite as insane a last year idens run was just very good and alistairs not the best it should have been much closer on the run.

ryf was as usual outstading but its was a pitty anne haug chose not to race i think she could have challenged her on this course ( of course no doubt ryf could have run faster on satuddaybut she was at ther limit on the bike and i think haug could have stayed with her on the bike had she made the frst swim pack which would be the big if )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

peter kern wrote: »
    i just dont think thats right

I was being a little dramatic just to get the thread started :) I actually thought his position on his road bike on the bars was better than many of those on TT bikes - he seemed to have a great fit. He also looked so smooth when cornering on the descents. The course looked amazing to be fair.

If that is the usual Nice 70.3 course, it definitely one I would look to do in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

EC1000 wrote: »
    I was being a little dramatic just to get the thread started :) I actually thought his position on his road bike on the bars was better than many of those on TT bikes - he seemed to have a great fit. He also looked so smooth when cornering on the descents. The course looked amazing to be fair.

If that is the usual Nice 70.3 course, it definitely one I would look to do in the future.

cool and yes he looked good

it was the same course as last year . i have to be honest iam not entirly sure but i think last year was the first 70.3 and it was more a tester for this years race and i have no idea if the race will be on next year . but this route is kind of the natural route for all triathlons in nice and is mostly part of the ironman course and the classic 4 120 30 nice race.

they should revive the 4 120 30 k race

Advertisement