Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glam Rock

• 05-09-2019 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I absolutely love this genre of music. I think I'd have been a glam rocker if I was around at the time. It's fun, its catchy and I love the over the top flamboyant clothing and makeup. I dont know if it's rock really, it's like sexy pop rock!

You can see how it inspired and influenced other musicians and how they evolved from it including punk and in some cases badly in the form of detestable but sometimes likeable poodle rock/glam metal.

T-rex to me is the very definition of Glam Rock....

So...I want a Glam Rock thread... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

T.Rex's The Slider and the first Roxy Music LP are amongst my favourite of the '70s.
    Slade In Flame (both the album and film) are stunningly evocative of the time. Slade were a great band.
    David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust era - unsurpassable. My older cousins still talk about when they saw Starman on TOTP.

OP - have you got Oh Yes We Can Love - a brilliant glam box set that looks at influences (what came before) and its legacy (what came after)
    No Gary Glitter which is a pity. But the Human League cover of Rock N Roll / Nightclubbing plus the Glitter Band's Angel Face.
    One of my favourite ever box sets (and I buy a lot of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Some great tunes came out of the glam rock.

Tiger Feet by Mud is one I've always loved, as well as countless others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

T.Rex's The Slider and the first Roxy Music LP are amongst my favourite of the '70s.
    Slade In Flame (both the album and film) are stunningly evocative of the time. Slade were a great band.
    David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust era - unsurpassable. My older cousins still talk about when they saw Starman on TOTP.

OP - have you got Oh Yes We Can Love - a brilliant glam box set that looks at influences (what came before) and its legacy (what came after)
    No Gary Glitter which is a pity. But the Human League cover of Rock N Roll / Nightclubbing plus the Glitter Band's Angel Face.
    One of my favourite ever box sets (and I buy a lot of them)

I love Slade. I posted this somewhere else a while back. I just love the whole thing on here especially the interaction from the audience. The performance seems more authentic than what you get now and the song..

No, haven't got Oh Yes We Can Love but had a look there and it looks like a good compilation and some bands on it where I wasn't thinking of them as Glam Rock but seems so obvious when it's pointed out. Thanks Newbridge :)

I was going to say in my op 'lets not mention Gary Glitter' as a joke. I don't know, usually I can separate the artist from the music but with him, hes one of the ones I find it difficult too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

One of my favourite glam rock bands.

I like the Sweet. Blockbuster and Ballroom Blitz are cool...there's a scene in Breakfast on Pluto with Wig Wam Bam...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd also offer this as a worthy sacrifice to the gods of glam rock.

Even their name is glam rock....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭bullpost

Advertisement