Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-08-2019, 12:36   #1
Jesper

Short 3-4 night ski destination options?

Most years a group of 8-12 of us take a ski holiday to Austria over St. Patricks weekend. Tend to be just guys (late 30's) and the long weekend means it's normally only 1-2 days holiday if we book right. The last 2 years were Mayrhoffen and we have also done Solden and Soll.
This year St. Patrick's weekend is a no go. So I'm looking into a smaller bookign to get a ski holiday in. I'm looking for advice on a package - self made or with an operator for Over Christmas or maybe February/March for 3-4 nights. The priority will be on convenience and it will likely just be 2 - 3 couples instead. I've been to northern Italy (Activity Breaks.com) but never to anywhere else.
Has anyone for example flew to France and rented a car and did their own thing? Any hotel/resort recommendations?
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 16:46   #2
a148pro

For convenience look at geneva - there's a bunch of resorts about an hour from the airport - chamonix, la clusaz, avoriaz, megeve, flaine etc. There are cheap regular transfers available to certainly chamonix and avoriaz

However I prefer two other hubs for short breaks - munich and milan (3 airports) as they have better flight times - leave dublin around 5, so only take half a day off work, fly back around 8 or 9 o'clock at night so ski a full day on the way home. But the resorts are further from the airport - about 2 - 2 and a half hours for munich, 2 and a half to 3 from milan. Car rental is very doable and cheap in both locations.

Geneva times aren't as well suited and french resorts less charming
Thanks from:
23-08-2019, 14:14   #3
maddness

What kind of resort are you looking for and what kind of skiing do you all do?
02-09-2019, 07:56   #4
Jesper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddness View Post
What kind of resort are you looking for and what kind of skiing do you all do?
I'm comfortable on most slopes but since I only go once annually I normally stay on reds/blues. Long flowing slopes or wide fast slopes all the better.
If my wife is coming beginner slopes/schools would also be needed.

Resort only needs to be convenient to the airport and easy to access the slopes. If we only go for 3 nights I'm not concerned about night life to much.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion