Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's Malcolm MacArthur doing now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

branie2 wrote: »
    He might be having dinner now

At half four in the afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

He was brilliant in a clockwork orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I believe he spends a lot of time on done deal

UrbanFret wrote: »
    He was brilliant in a clockwork orange.

Not to mention Blue Thunder (the film).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

manatoo wrote:
    Yep, walks up Henry Street, through the Jervis Centre and up toward the quays most days in full beige trench coat and shoes, taupe suit and dickie bow regale. Looks the picture of health in later life.
    manatoo wrote:
    Incredible to think what he's responsible for and yet just strolls amongst us daily.

It's almost surreal. He has done his time yet so strange that he should be around the place. Am thinking of the victims' families.

Are there people tracking his movements or what?
    What's with all the detail?

• Advertisement

manatoo wrote: »
    Yep, walks up Henry Street, through the Jervis Centre and up toward the quays most days in full beige trench coat and shoes, taupe suit and dickie bow regale. Looks the picture of health in later life.

Incredible to think what he's responsible for and yet just strolls amongst us daily.

No hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

bobbyss wrote: »
    It's almost surreal. He has done his time yet so strange that he should be around the place. Am thinking of the victims' families.

Are there people tracking his movements or what?
    What's with all the detail?

Not sure I get you. is this a dig or are you an extremist libertarian?

No hat?

Nah, hat would blow his cover

manatoo wrote:
    Not sure I get you. is this a dig or are you an extremist libertarian?

How do you know where he walks most days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Who cares, the cunt.

My only thoughts are for the families of the deceased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Same here

How do you know where he walks most days?

I work there every day.

Are you definitely aware of what he did?

manatoo wrote:
    I work there every day.

manatoo wrote:
    Are you definitely aware of what he did?

I see.
    Yes two murders I think. Unless I am mistaken?
    I think of the victims' families. Imagine seeing the man who killed your loved one walking around regularly.

I see.
    I think of the victims' families. Imagine seeing the man who killed your loved one walking around regularly.

Yes, that was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I see.

Only convicted of a single murder. Nolle prosequi on the Dunne murder. I seem to recall a comment at the time that 7 years was the average length of a life sentence then. He must have served closer to 30. We did have capital punishment at the time but I don’t think this was a capital murder caseZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Hope he learnt his lesson and has stopped his ould murderin ....

Marcusm wrote: »
    Only convicted of a single murder. Nolle prosequi on the Dunne murder. I seem to recall a comment at the time that 7 years was the average length of a life sentence then. He must have served closer to 30. We did have capital punishment at the time but I don’t think this was a capital murder caseZ

The family of Donal Dunne requested that no trial take place didn't they?

I could be wrong on that but a few years ago when he was about to be released there was uproar about how that murder had gone unprosecuted and I seem to remember a family member publicly stating that it was at their request in order to stop the public pointing the finger at the district attorney and minister for justice. Open to correction though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I could be wrong on that but a few years ago when he was about to be released there was uproar about how that murder had gone unprosecuted and I seem to remember a family member publicly stating that it was at their request in order to stop the public pointing the finger at the district attorney and minister for justice. Open to correction though

The "district attorney"?
    Why didn't he put it before the Grand Jury. That guy shoulda got the chair

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

W

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Marcusm wrote: »

Only for the murder of a Guard. That got changed in the 80's too I think.

As an aside, John Banville's 'Book of Evidence' is based on the case. Terrific read, if a bit sombre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Evidence
    Never knew this happened until I went looking for this page. :eek:
    In December 2012, Banville was being interviewed by Fintan O'Toole at an evening dedicated to the essayist Hubert Butler in Trinity College, Dublin. MacArthur, recently released from prison, was in the audience. Banville left as soon as the interview was done; MacArthur attended the drinks reception.[3]

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    The "district attorney"?
    Why didn't he put it before the Grand Jury. That guy shoulda got the chair

Apologies, DPP.

On point though. Cheers for the contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Apologies, DPP.

On point though. Cheers for the contribution
    No bother. The guys down in the 15th Precinth like to have these things done right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RTE documentary series Scannel did a programme on this case a few years ago which included a snippet of a radio interview with Macarthurs mother. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree I think. She came across like a thundering entitled wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

RTE documentary series Scannel did a programme on this case a few years ago which included a snippet of a radio interview with Macarthurs mother. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree I think. She came across like a thundering entitled wagon.

I’d love to hear that. Must get a-googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

After the trial, it was reported that a notebook of his was found with plans and drawings to electrocute an elderly female relative by connecting a doorknob to the mains, presumably for the inheritance he expected from her.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Only for the murder of a Guard. That got changed in the 80's too I think.

As an aside, John Banville's 'Book of Evidence' is based on the case. Terrific read, if a bit sombre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Evidence
    Never knew this happened until I went looking for this page. :eek:

He attended a book launch and signing by Alan Shatter a few years ago in Hodges Figgis too, alongside several FG ministers and legal bigwigs. I think he's very brazen. It always chills me to see him walking around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My recollection was that the Dunne family was outraged as it implied that their loss of a family member was insignificant. This thread has prompted me to google; the result is this excellent July 1983 article from Magill.

https://magill.ie/archive/justice-behind-closed-doors-malcom-macarthur-case

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The case was also an episode of Thou Shalt not Kill, the TV series on infamous murders in Ireland.

branie2 wrote:
    The case was also an episode of Thou Shalt not Kill, the TV series on infamous murders in Ireland.

I think that was where I saw the programme. But I thought it was called Ireland's most brutal murders on TV3 or something like that. It was quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

He's probably hanging out with Larry Murphy.

That would be a great idea for a reality sitcom "Malcolm and Larry":pac:

Advertisement