Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elite Amateur tournament's 2019

• 04-04-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭

Figured it would be just as well to have a catchall thread for all low handicap amateur tournaments rather than me just starting another one for the Wesht!

West of Ireland kicks off today! A change from its usual running over the Easter break.

Scoring here :: https://www.golfnet.ie/GUILIve#/competition/1883276/leaderboard

Live twitter here :: https://mobile.twitter.com/2019woig

Leading qualifier from the qualifier was mel deasy who shot -3 and +2 or better was needed to be one of the 9 players from the qualifier.

Scoring looks just as good so far in the early running on day1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Alan Lowry, I presume that's Shane's brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Alan Lowry, I presume that's Shane's brother?

Yes Shane's brother. He caddied for him not so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Rikand wrote: »
    Leading qualifier from the qualifier was mel deasy who shot -3 and +2 or better was needed to be one of the 9 players from the qualifier.

Scoring looks just as good so far in the early running on day1

I heard +2 was the cut in the Qualifier, but do the +3s & above then act as Reserves to get in where guys in the main draw don't show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Has anyone got a good handle on the cut offs to get into the championships?

I think West was +0.7 (and East similar), South and Close are around 0.0 and North ends up as high as 2.5 - but I'm half guessing.

I think West was +0.7 (and East similar), South and Close are around 0.0 and North ends up as high as 2.5 - but I'm half guessing.

That sounds about right. The North is much higher because they play 36 hole qualifier over 2 courses where the Top 64 qualify for matchplay so more capacity for people to try and qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I heard +2 was the cut in the Qualifier, but do the +3s & above then act as Reserves to get in where guys in the main draw don't show up?

Yes they do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

All the big guns heading out around now!!

what do we think about the change in format??

fearruanua wrote: »
    All the big guns heading out around now!!

what do we think about the change in format??

Hate it. But sure what can you do. Fellas are already taking enough time off work Thursday and Friday to meet the new date so there's not much you can do. The matchplay would run on too long. Be different if it was still over the Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That's basically it.

Although in reality you end up with mainly locals taking the reserve slots, as anyone not within an hour or two of Rosses Point isn't going to hang around and hold the time off work in the hope of drop-offs.

A young Rory from when he won the west in 2005 with the people he stayed with for the week

D3TqRSQXsAACLQo?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement

Conor Purcell leads on -5 after shooting a 66.

Some great scoring up there

Fairways are relatively generous for a links - it’s the regular NW weather in Sligo that transforms the course into a beast.
    When the winds are quiet the top amateurs will always make hay there

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

blackwhite wrote: »
    Fairways are relatively generous for a links - it’s the regular NW weather in Sligo that transforms the course into a beast.

Looking at the weather this morning, they'll be saving a lot of hay today I'd say.
    Beautiful morning here in Galway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Cut for West was +.3 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

blackwhite wrote: »

Wind and inclement weather is one of the natural defenses of any links course, no wind then obviously the courses are open to some fellas going ape 5h1t on them.

Into round 3 and the leaders at the start of the day at -5 are south champion Rafferty and 17 year old max Kennedy. Defending champion Robbie Brazil on -4

The cut happens after today with top 50 and ties making it through to Sunday. Cut line will probably fall somewhere around +10

Bit of controversy on the twitter this morning due to the large number of withdrawals, retirees and no shows. Should no shows get a 1 year ban from all championships if they do it? The vocal consensus is yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Rikand wrote: »
    Into round 3 and the leaders at the start of the day at -5 are south champion Rafferty and 17 year old max Kennedy. Defending champion Robbie Brazil on -4

The cut happens after today with top 50 and ties making it through to Sunday. Cut line will probably fall somewhere around +10

Bit of controversy on the twitter this morning due to the large number of withdrawals, retirees and no shows. Should no shows get a 1 year ban from all championships if they do it? The vocal consensus is yes!

Saw that on twitter also. Personally I would 100% agree that a 1 year ban (longer if players withdraw for no reason again for the second time) for all GUI and provincial championships, would be the only way to stamp this out.

In my opinion it is very hard to police and stop these no-shows, withdrawals just because they are playing bad etc, unless they have a genuine medical condition or legitimate emergency.

It does damage the reputation of stroke play amateur championships and indeed amateur golf in general.

Anyways looks like a great final 36 holes in store in Co. Sligo. Personally I would not discount James Sugrue at all. The 2017 South of Ireland champion, is a wonderful tee to green player and could surprise Rafferty, Purcell et al. The Mallow clubman is 4 back on 1 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How old was McIlroy when he won it and are any of these lads good enough to go pro?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How old was McIlroy when he won it and are any of these lads good enough to go pro?

McIlroy won the West of Ireland in both 2005 and 2006 so he was just 15 years young when he claimed the West 14 years ago. Incredible really.

Any lads playing here that might be good enough to turn pro? Definitely Conor Purcell, Caolan Rafferty and James Sugrue are very talented and can easily make the transition from amateur to the pro game a smooth one. But as we have seen far too often, that transition can be a tough one. Stay amateur for as long as possible, is my message to those wannabe pros.

Huge transition alright, they really need to be launching it 270 metres off the the tee on average to have any hope.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Max kennedy is only in 5th year so a serious prospect.

I would agree on sanctions for lads that just do not show up.

I remember the first year that he won it - from Good Friday onwards the word around Sligo was to get down to Rosses Point over the weekend to see him, because he was going to be the next big thing. Not only did he win, but he looked like a future star at that age.

Nobody since has had anything resembling that kind of excitement

Caolan Rafferty 4 clear after 3 rounds.

There's no chance he'll be caught, is there ?

Don’t know the English lad in 2nd but Purcell in 3rd would be the only other danger.

Weather looks lovely again for tomorrow so should be one less thing for Caolan to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I see on the scores that one lad shot 98?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Conor Purcell closing the gap with 6 holes to go.

Also, another to look out for in future is Sam Murphy from Portumna. Had an incredible year last year

Caolan Rafferty is an impressive 4 shot winner of the West of Ireland. That win surely assures the Dundalk clubman a GB&I Walker Cup place in Hoylake this September. Conor Purcell finished tied 2nd after 3 bogeys in the last 5 holes, ending any chance the Portmarnock clubman had for a win in Rosses Point today.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Caolan Rafferty is an impressive 4 shot winner of the West of Ireland. That win surely assures the Dundalk clubman a GB&I Walker Cup place in Hoylake this September. Conor Purcell finished tied 2nd after 3 bogeys in the last 5 holes, ending any chance the Portmarnock clubman had for a win in Rosses Point today.

Nothing Is assured when team selection is concerned. He will have to perform. Extremely well in the UK to get a pick. Usually home country success doesnt count for much with GBi selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

I think the course stood up quite well to the top amateurs, there wasn’t any stupid wind to contend with at any time over the four days, at worst was it probably no more than a 2 club wind, if even. I think only 3 guys broke 70 today. Either the course changes have toughened the point up or there isn’t any great strength in the amateur ranks.

• Advertisement

Yeah was thinking that with a field of top amateurs only 4 players to break par in very good conditions is dissapointing. You'd have to imagine the top Americans/british would tear it apart.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement