Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a Hotelier

• 04-03-2019 3:48pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next AMA guest has worked in the hotel industry for 24 years. He went to DIT Cathal Brugha Street and has worked his way up to a management position in a chain of well known hotels.

He is here to answer your questions about working in hotels.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What was the strangest thing you found left in a hotel room after the guest checked out?

What are your expectation for an Hotel to be a four star venue?

For instance, would it include a reception desk armed with the information about Bus Éireann, Irish Rail and other private operators?

How do you deal with tired customers, arriving emotional from a long journey?

In your own professional capacity, as Hotel staff how did you handle the Volcanic Ash event in 2011, which ground all flights in Europe.

I was stranded in Amsterdam. I got Hotel accomodation, but there was the very real risk that I would have to where to stay except the Airport. (went by ferry in the end from Almueden to Harwich)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As a rough guesstimate, what percentage of guests clean the room themselves before leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Ever inspected a room(s) with a blacklight? :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are you based in a city or rural area.

Only asking as it makes a difference to the type of questions people would ask later on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Is working in a hotel really a low paying race to the bottom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Have you ever had to deal with any overly irate customers? And how do you resist the urge to tell them where to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Stephen McNally of the Irish Hotels Federation is often in the news complaining about staff turnover and inability to recruit and retain staff

He never mentions paying better money which may be minimum wage anyway or even skilled positions like chefs will not be highly paid either. In France a waiter is a job for life and attractive while here it’s low paid and casual

The industry has a negative image for low pay and terrible hours so have you any ideas how to attract staff? Are hoteliers playing the poor mouth they cannot pay staff more?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What's the most number of hours you've worked in a week?

Do you get any perks if you're hotel manager?

Do you eat alone or with the rest of the staff?

What was the worst day for you as a hotel manager?

What was your best?

Your fellow students at Cathal Brugha. Still keep in touch? Are many still in the business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Why are hotels so expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,412 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are the sheets on the beds really changed after guests leave? I was told they weren’t, just turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hello,

Is it a deliberate policy of hotels to minimize the amount of food served to guests for carvery dinners? I have been to hundreds of pubs and restaurants over the years in Ireland and the majority of them (bar some mean-spirited owners) have no problem when the guest asks for an extra roast potato or maybe an extra slice of bread with their soup without charging extra.

However, without exception, any hotel I have been in for sunday carvery, everything is very basic and minimal as if the staff have been told absolutely not to give anything extra and even to tell the customer that its an additional charge for that slice of bread etc. Is it a general hotel policy not to be in any way generous with food? I tried it a few times just to have an extra potato or a bit more vegetables and I always get looked at as if I had asked for a whole extra dinner free of charge! Can you share your experience on this thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 121 Verified rep I'm a hotelier, AMA

Loughc wrote: »
    What was the strangest thing you found left in a hotel room after the guest checked out?

No contest here - a 5ft Iguana !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No contest here - a 5ft Iguana !!!

What did you do with it?

xieann wrote: »
    What are your expectation for an Hotel to be a four star venue?

For instance, would it include a reception desk armed with the information about Bus Éireann, Irish Rail and other private operators?

How do you deal with tired customers, arriving emotional from a long journey?

In your own professional capacity, as Hotel staff how did you handle the Volcanic Ash event in 2011, which ground all flights in Europe.

I was stranded in Amsterdam. I got Hotel accomodation, but there was the very real risk that I would have to where to stay except the Airport. (went by ferry in the end from Almueden to Harwich)

Without going into a long winded answer about 4* criteria - answers as follows:

Reception Desk - I think any reception team, regardless of the star rating of the hotel, should be armed with a vast array of local knowledge. To supplement this, any decent hotel should have a large literature stand located next to reception to direct guests to

Tired customers - deal with them as you would any guest really. If you can see that they have had a particularly long day and arrive absolutely shattered - then you might like to do something nice for them such as giving them a free bedroom upgrade or complimentary drink in the bar or comp breakfast if they havent already booked it, etc .. Nice touches like that go a long way towards guest satisfaction and its things out of the ordinary that guests will remember and will tell their friends about and will maybe convince them to give you a 5* tripadvisor rating

Volcanic Ash - was one of the worst incidents hotels have had to deal with over the years. You need to take a pragmatic approach to things like this. Is it the guests fault that their flight was cancelled and that they couldnt get to you ? No it wasnt. However - was it the hotel's fault that your flight was cancelled ? no it wasnt. Also bear in mind that hotels could have sold your room 10 times over since you booked it, and have held the room for you in good faith and at the end of the day, hotels are a business and costs are incurred and staff need to be paid so its not simply a black and white issue. We dealt with it by being as sympathetic as possible to the guests while at the same time trying to minimise our losses. Hotels offered a combination of refunds and / or discounted stays if the guests re-booked the hotels for a later date. Its the fairest way possible. How you book a hotel is normally crucial - always book direct with the hotel as they will give you the maximum cancellation time possible, whereas if you book with certain OTA ( online travel agencies ) they may give you 24 / 48hrs beforehand to cancel which limits you

As a rough guesstimate, what percentage of guests clean the room themselves before leaving?

About 5%. Some people would never walk out of a hotel with the room looking messy

Rang the guest and politely asked them to come back to collect. They had somehow "forgotten to bring him" when they checked out ....... the mind boggles !!

Ever inspected a room(s) with a blacklight? :p

We would regularly engage in deep cleaning and would also enlist external companies such as pest control and mattress sanitation ( UV treatment ). Any hotel that has a decent maintenance programme will address major issues before they become big problems so you would rarely have any big horror stories like the ones you are probably thinking about

Are you based in a city or rural area.

Only asking as it makes a difference to the type of questions people would ask later on.

Both. We have numerous hotels both in large cities such as Dublin and also regional hotels as well as foreign properties too. I have floated around various properties over the years

horgan_p wrote: »
    Is working in a hotel really a low paying race to the bottom ?

I wont lie. Staff that come in with little / no experience are normally on minimum wage in hotels. It can take a while to make your way up to a decent wage. Management positions in Hotels would not be the best paid jobs in the world but would not be bad money either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Have you ever had to deal with a guest dying in their sleep?

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Have you ever had to deal with any overly irate customers? And how do you resist the urge to tell them where to go?

yes we deal with them all the time. I have a very modern approach to this and it is my own belief that the days of " the customer is always right" are long gone. I would tend to break any complaint down to its most basic form - so what happened: was it our fault ? is the guest just trying it on? ( it does happen ) could we have handled the situation better? Can we address it immediately and make it right? etc etc ...

If a customer has a genuine grievance then i would do my best to appease the guest while at the same time not trying to cost the hotel too much to fix it. If it is clearly a case that the hotel was in error then sometime you just need to suck it up, say sorry, give them a refund and smile

If someone is trying to cod you, then its down the individual manager how you deal with that. If its a strong enough manager that is able to deal with people like this then i would have no problems not refunding any money to the person provided the manager was sure that what the guest said happened did not actually transpire. For example, a regular trick you get in hotels is that people take the fuse out of the fused spur sockets in the bedrooms for the heaters and televisions and then come down the next morning looking for a discount / refund because the room was freezing, they didnt have a TV to watch etc etc

Above all else - If someone is rude or aggressive towards a member of staff while they are complaining about something, then this is something that i will not tolerate. Nobody deserves to be screamed and shouted at when trying to do their job so if someone is screaming in my face i would have no hesitation in telling them that i am here to help and will gladly do all i can to make the situation right for them but that i will not talk to anyone who is raising their voice at me and i would ask them to come back to me in 30mins when they have calmed down

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Stephen McNally of the Irish Hotels Federation is often in the news complaining about staff turnover and inability to recruit and retain staff

He never mentions paying better money which may be minimum wage anyway or even skilled positions like chefs will not be highly paid either. In France a waiter is a job for life and attractive while here it’s low paid and casual

The industry has a negative image for low pay and terrible hours so have you any ideas how to attract staff? Are hoteliers playing the poor mouth they cannot pay staff more?

Stephen was IHF president for 2yrs between 2014 - 2016. He doesnt comment a lot publicly these days however to address the points you mentioned:

Hotels are a business at the end of the day. We cant pay large wages to staff or indeed managers. Thats just the way things are. We have huge cost bases that never get reported in the media so there is always a conception that hotels charge high prices but pay staff pittance and pocket the difference but thats not the case. We have had to deal with a few minimum wage increases in the last few years, as well as having to deal with the VAT rate being increased back up 4.5% which has a huge impact on hotels and i have no doubt you will see hotels closing this year as a result of this factor alone

Chefs are paid decent money, even in hotels. This is a skilled job as you say

Re the hours - years ago hotels used to offer split shifts to staff in restaurants for example: ie: come in for breakfast 7am - 11am and then back for dinner 6pm - 10pm but we dont do that anymore. No hotel worker can exceed the maximum working hours in a fortnight, the same as any other industry in Ireland. We are bound by the same labour laws so the working hours is a bit of a myth these days. I dont think its fair to compare France with Ireland as we have 2 completely different ways of life and its not a fair comparison

Attracting staff into the industry is a tough one and is a problem for us so i dont have any magic answer as to how to attract more people into the industry im afraid. A lot of staff are casual and they see it as a part time way of making money while in school or college until they move on. Being a hotelier is a way of life and its either in your blood or its not. If you have a flair for being a people person and dont mind hard work then hotels may suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

What's your best and worse new year's eve experiences ?

What's the most number of hours you've worked in a week?

Do you get any perks if you're hotel manager?

Do you eat alone or with the rest of the staff?

What was the worst day for you as a hotel manager?

What was your best?

Your fellow students at Cathal Brugha. Still keep in touch? Are many still in the business?

Probably different for me as im a General Manager so i would regularly work about 50hrs a week, depending on what i had on

Loads of perks - for example if you are part of a chain or hotel group you can get cheap / free accommodation when you travel

I dont have any airs or graces so i would have no problems eating with my staff ( having said that, i rarely even get to have lunch LOL )

Worst day was losing a guest after trying to resuscitate them in a bedroom

Best day - god thats a tough question. You get to meet a fair amount of famous people in hotels. Over the years i have looked after loads, Bill Clinton was probably one of the most famous as he was president at the time so that was pretty cool.

College - Yes i still keep in touch with about 10 or 12 of the guys. To be honest, i think only 3 of us are still in the industry so that says a lot i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Odelay

Do you work above the maximum hours allowed per fortnight, especially say during Christmas or the wedding season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Are middle aged customers who look important, dress well, drive a nice car etc treated better than others. I’m mid 30’s, like going to nice hotels, 5 star, but because I look even younger, I feel the same effort at check in isn’t made, you’re given a table in the busiest spot in the restaurant, never been offered an upgrade etc etc

Perifect wrote: »
    Why are hotels so expensive?

I was waiting for a question like this. I think it all depend by what you mean as expensive. People use hotels because they need one thing and one thing only; a bed for the night. Forget all the bells and whistles that 5* properties offer guests - a bed for the night is what people need. And if they need a bed for the night, in a particular city, on a particular day, because there is a music concert on or because there is a rugby match on then hotels will price accordingly. As a business, just like any other business out there, we always try to keep our costs low and maximise our profits. This is no different to any other business out there in Ireland - Hotels just seem to get the raw end of the deal when it comes to being called rip-off merchants. As i mentioned in another reply, hotels have huge cost bases that people just dont see. We also employ large numbers of staff and to keep these people employed, we need to be profitable.

i certainly do appreciate that some hotels might go a little nuts with pricing sometimes but i think you will see a change in that this year with the VAT rate increase. People wont pay ridiculous money for rooms and Dublin city centre is certainly seeing the impact of this already so i would see better savings for guests coming your way over the next few months as hotels adapt to the VAT rate and the uncertainty of brexit

Are the sheets on the beds really changed after guests leave? I was told they weren’t, just turned.

yes - all hotels will use linen hire companies such as Celtic Linen, national Linen or Kings Laundry for example and linen hire is a huge cost to hotels. Once a guest departs, this room is cleaned as a departure and all linen is changed with crisp clean linen. If a guest stays more than one night, say for example 2 nights - then we would not change the linen until they leave. If a guest checked in for 5 days, we would probably change the linen for them on day 3 just to freshen it up for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ever caught any night time enterprises operating out of one of your rooms and if so how was in handled?

To thine own self be true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement