Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The thing with Henshaw at 12 is he defends the narrow channels so well. He rarely makes mistakes and he brings confidence to those alongside him.
    At 13, he isn't quick enough to have the same impact as he does at 12.
    Whereas, Ringrose and say Addison make it look natural, playing the outside channels, they seem to have a better grasp on how to defend and drift.
    They both also are better at spotting a gap and exploiting it.
    I haven't seen to much of Tom Farrell to make an opinion and Chris Farrell is very good.
    As far as this week goes, if the pack get some impact and the half backs are good, we should win.
    Just having Kearney back will take away the kicks in behind.
    England had a field day with Henshaw back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The thing with Henshaw at 12 is he defends the narrow channels so well. He rarely makes mistakes and he brings confidence to those alongside him.
    At 13, he isn't quick enough to have the same impact as he does at 12.
    Whereas, Ringrose and say Addison make it look natural, playing the outside channels, they seem to have a better grasp on how to defend and drift.
    They both also are better at spotting a gap and exploiting it.
    I haven't seen to much of Tom Farrell to make an opinion and Chris Farrell is very good.
    As far as this week goes, if the pack get some impact and the half backs are good, we should win.
    Just having Kearney back will take away the kicks in behind.
    England had a field day with Henshaw back there.

Kearney was ****e against Scarlets remember. There's no guarantee he'll play well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I actually think defensively Ringrose is particularly good at identifying when to shoot as well, you so rarely see him making a mis-read in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

troyzer wrote: »
    Kearney was ****e against Scarlets remember. There's no guarantee he'll play well.

The entire team was ****e against England. There's no guarantee they'll play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think Henshaw is a top quality 12. Not world class, but a very good one. Aki is similar imo.
    As far as 13 goes, Henshaw is not at international level imo.
    I think we build up our better players to the point that we think maybe one of our opposition would start on our team!
    Ringrose is the best 13 by quite a ways, imo.
    After him. I think Aki and Addison are good options.
    Both Farrells are also good options.
    Then there's not really anyone else?
    This match on the weekend will help us see how we respond after getting horsed.
    I expect a massive improvement and I think we win by a few points.
    My biggest concern is Murray. I hope he's fit and gets it together.

If he was actually playing 13 regularly he would be a top 13 just like he is a 12. He never played 12 until Schmidt asked him to play there for Ireland don't forget, a lot of people (BOD included) had him as the anointed one to take the 13 jersey before anyone had heard Garry Ringrose's name.

Same goes for 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Thread title idea:
    Ireland Team Talk Thread X: discussing everything - from A to Y

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭roverjoyce

Don't know if mentioned before is it not a huge worry we have 4 injuries after 1 game where England only had 1
    Are our players not battle ready for games
    What is going to happen in the world cup when we may have to play South Africa in a quarter will we be down 5/6 players with their physicality

England played them last November and New Zealand the week after and didn't have to make many changes hard to believe Ireland doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

dub_skav wrote: »
    Thread title idea:
    Ireland Team Talk Thread X: discussing everything - from A to Y

"Winner winner, nandos chicken dinner"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭jonok28

roverjoyce wrote: »
    Don't know if mentioned before is it not a huge worry we have 4 injuries after 1 game where England only had 1
    Are our players not battle ready for games
    What is going to happen in the world cup when we may have to play South Africa in a quarter will we be down 5/6 players with their physicality

England played them last November and New Zealand the week after and didn't have to make many changes hard to believe Ireland doing that

England vs Ireland is always an enormously physical match, always has been always will be, we never usually get them on the opening game of the 6 nations so we were throwing our guys into the deep end fairly quickly. England were massively physical last weekend and unfortunately we lost a few lads in the process. Toner was dealing with an ankle injury before the game and re-aggravated it I believe, Ringrose has been healthy fairly consistently so him going down is just bad luck, Standers injury can be marked as bad luck also, he plays fairly physical so its not completely unexpected that he got hurt, Henshaw was coming off a long lay off so not unsurprising that he might have re-aggravated something.

I think Joe is playing it safe with the injured guys, now that the Grand Slam isn't available I think he is afforded a bit of wiggle room to experiment with his Squad, see if someone players are worthy of inclusion to Japan. Roux, Dillane, Cooney and Farrell fit that description so giving them game time gives him some time to see what he has.

I wouldn't worry too much about Ireland's injury situation. The IRFU are going to protect these players for the World Cup as best as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

SoB to London Irish after the World Cup confirmed. Won't effect selection for the tournament this autumn though.

https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-london-irish-ireland-4483555-Feb2019/?utm_source=shortlink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Clegg wrote: »
    Won't effect selection for the tournament this autumn though.

#Prayformods

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

SoB to London Irish after the World Cup confirmed. Won't effect selection for the tournament this autumn though.

https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-london-irish-ireland-4483555-Feb2019/?utm_source=shortlink

Fair play to him, I hope his body lasts up and he gets a decent pay check to fatten his retirement fund. Wouldn’t have been getting a central deal here, so makes perfect sense for him. Will be a loss to Leinster though, of that there’s no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

It'll be interesting to see if SOB is dropped from the squad after the weekend. Will Schmidt and the IRFU make it clear that different rules apply to different players.

It'll be interesting to see if SOB is dropped from the squad after the weekend. Will Schmidt and the IRFU make it clear that different rules apply to different players.

He won't be dropped.

Different rules apply to different situations, not necessarily different players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Was POC dropped when he signed for Toulon?

They're being consistent. We've a precedent with this with POC, another centrally contracted player who was finishing up after a world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

jonok28 wrote: »

I think Joe is playing it safe with the injured guys, now that the Grand Slam isn't available I think he is afforded a bit of wiggle room to experiment with his Squad, see if someone players are worthy of inclusion to Japan. Roux, Dillane, Cooney and Farrell fit that description so giving them game time gives him some time to see what he has.

I wouldn't worry too much about Ireland's injury situation. The IRFU are going to protect these players for the World Cup as best as they can.

Yeah guess in a RWC year 6N takes a difference priority. Question is does he aim to do best and finish 2nd or experiment a bit more and treat it as extra game time for players? There are still 4 pre RWC games too. I think even if there's no GS, it's hard to see us when outright, think 2nd is achievable though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Riskymove wrote: »
    #Prayformods

Don't go into the comments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭LostArt

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah guess in a RWC year 6N takes a difference priority. Question is does he aim to do best and finish 2nd or experiment a bit more and treat it as extra game time for players? There are still 4 pre RWC games too. I think even if there's no GS, it's hard to see us when outright, think 2nd is achievable though

I'd like to see him make some further changes for Italy and France then full strength or as close to it as possible for Wales. Even with changes I think 2nd is achievable.

He won't be dropped.

Different rules apply to different situations, not necessarily different players.

It relates to how the IRFU treat their employees.

One was poorly treated while under contract because they weren't signing a new one. SOB should remain a part of the squad until his contract runs out, because it's not right to discriminate against employees like the IRFU did in the previous situtation.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    They're being consistent. We've a precedent with this with POC, another centrally contracted player who was finishing up after a world cup.

If you wish to go back that far, you might as well talk about Sexton being selected while abroad. The IRFU have rightfully changed their policies in the meantime.

He won't be dropped.

One was poorly treated while under contract because they weren't signing a new one. SOB should remain a part of the squad until his contract runs out, because it's not right to discriminate against employees like the IRFU did in the previous situtation.

Well, SOB actually is an IRFU employee and the other one wasn't.

Well, SOB actually is an IRFU employee and the other one wasn't.

The other was dropped while a contracted employee. They remained an employee for another ~9 months.

It was a terrible way to treat someone, and wouldn't be allowed to happen in any other workplace for fear of deserved litigation. The IRFU skirted as it being a sport they could hide behind the curtain of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The other was dropped while a contracted employee. They remained an employee for another ~9 months.

It was a terrible way to treat someone, and wouldn't be allowed to happen in any other workplace for fear of deserved litigation. The IRFU skirted as it being a sport they could hide behind the curtain of form.

He wasn't 'dropped' or frozen out unless his appearances for Munster all that season were a mirage.

If you wish to go back that far, you might as well talk about Sexton being selected while abroad. The IRFU have rightfully changed their policies in the meantime.

And Sexton moved before Schmidt was appointed head coach.

It's been done to death, but (even aside from whether a player is centrally contracted or not) it seems pretty obvious that the policy is based on a RWC cycle. Which makes a lot of sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Now you're reaching :rolleyes:

Can Noel Reid take the IRFU to court if he's not picked for Ireland before he leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

SoB and Zebo aren't comparable talent wise either. If you're a world class player I'm sure that some leeway is given.

Now you're reaching :rolleyes:

Can Noel Reid take the IRFU to court if he's not picked for Ireland before he leaves?

Was Reid a central international who was dropped when they decided to move on after not being offered a contract?

As I said, it being sport, it allows the IRFU to skirt around the issue. However, it is clear what happened. Anyone who denies that is being deliberately obtuse.

SoB and Zebo aren't comparable talent wise either. If you're a world class player I'm sure that some leeway is given.

so you are stating that different rules should apply to different people, and discrimination is okay in some situations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What happened to not talking about your man while the 6N is on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement