Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Vs. Dun Laoghaire

• 15-01-2019 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm sitting my Leaving Cert this year and am stuck between doing music production is maynooth or dun laoghaire.

I know that maynooth is more theoretical and IADT is more hands on in the studio's. Does anyone have any other information abou thses two courses, maybe there reputation for graduates or which one creates more opportunity or which one is better value.

I want to work in studios but also want to have options after graduating, anything at all will help massively.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Ydargonaic wrote: »
    I'm sitting my Leaving Cert this year and am stuck between doing music production is maynooth or dun laoghaire.

I know that maynooth is more theoretical and IADT is more hands on in the studio's. Does anyone have any other information abou thses two courses, maybe there reputation for graduates or which one creates more opportunity or which one is better value.

I want to work in studios but also want to have options after graduating, anything at all will help massively.

Thanks.

Hello Ydargonaic,
    there is very little studio work anymore—recording studios are closing and very few new ones are opening. There are a few niche studios here and there that manage to make a go of it. Simply put, it's probably easier to 'make it with your band' than it is to get a job as a studio engineer.
    Live sound is a different story, so perhaps consider this route into the 'industry' (it's not really an industry, it's more like a loose federation of people with common interests).
    If you have a huge passion for mixing—then go for it, if you put in the 70-80 hours a week for a few years, then you'll do well if you have talent. If this seems like a tall order, then consider another degree that allows you to take some modules that will facilitate your mix aspirations.

Advertisement