Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2018, 10:51   #1
cormee

Ski Season 2018/2019

Time to get things going again? We're well past mid-summer

Anyway, Crystal Ski seem to have some great early-bird deals going at the moment - I'm particularly interested in Soll, around January 5th, unfortunately their links for searches don't work so I can't share them here.

Fanny, if you're still knocking around, I'd be obliged of you could recommend any of the places on https://www.crystalski.ie/search/sr.81 (hopefully that link works)
Advertisement
11-07-2018, 12:11   #2
blue note

I'm trying to save so trying to not book another ski holiday. It's so hard!

But if I did go again I think I'd get away without going for lessons this time. I was a bit fed up in them last year anyway. I think I've been unlucky to get two terrible instructors out of 4. the first instructor was swapped out and I moved class the second time. Most people have great experiences in classes so don't really get my hesitations about them, but I'm not sure u could put up with another crap instructor. And two classes of 13/14 pupils didn't help add well.

But if I didn't have to pay for lessons I'd save that cost too.....
11-07-2018, 12:43   #3
cormee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue note View Post
I'm trying to save so trying to not book another ski holiday. It's so hard!

But if I did go again I think I'd get away without going for lessons this time. I was a bit fed up in them last year anyway. I think I've been unlucky to get two terrible instructors out of 4. the first instructor was swapped out and I moved class the second time. Most people have great experiences in classes so don't really get my hesitations about them, but I'm not sure u could put up with another crap instructor. And two classes of 13/14 pupils didn't help add well.

But if I didn't have to pay for lessons I'd save that cost too.....
Do you have a Revolut credit card? If not get one, they have a great feature called a Vault, its basically a change jar, any purchase you make is rounded up. After one week I have €33 in my snowboarding vault

I only ever took two snowboarding classes, once I had the basics I headed off by myself. Riding/Skiing with someone a bit above your level is also a great way of learning, they drag you up, force you to push yourself.
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2018, 16:09   #4
maddness

I’ve spent the past week planing my two trips, four day to Italy in December and another four to Austria in January. Can’t wait!
17-07-2018, 17:00   #5
irlirishkev

France (La Tania) and Italy (Sauze Doulx) for us again next season.
A week in early January, and a week in early March.

Have a few trips away to get through first (oh the pain of it all!) before we can get too excited for skiing
Advertisement
17-07-2018, 22:07   #6
a148pro

Good man cormee, delighted to see other snow addicts here in abundance too

I'd be wary of booking soll in advance, its low and there's been a few shaky starts to seasons the past few years
Thanks from:
19-07-2018, 10:24   #7
cormee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddness View Post
I’ve spent the past week planing my two trips, four day to Italy in December and another four to Austria in January. Can’t wait!
Am hoping to fit in three this year. Fingers crossed. It would be the fist time in a long time. One definitely Chamonix, not sure about the other two, but I'm starting to like the off-piste in Austria, so that might be on the cards.
20-07-2018, 07:46   #8
maddness

I’m going to try to get a third trip in too if possible, I’ve four days booked for Ðecember and another four for January so I’ll see if I can manage a short trip sometime in March too.
Thanks from:
21-07-2018, 10:17   #9
BarryNumber1

Hoping to get to Livigno again. Took a transfer bus the last time and it took ages so might rent a car instead. No issues driving abroad but I do have a question about some of the narrower, 1 vehicle sections, as you get into the mountains. I didn’t see any particular road-signs the last time so I’m not sure who has right of way… going up the hill? down? Do bigger vehicles have right of way, etc. Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers.
Advertisement
24-07-2018, 16:02   #10
Timmaay

Send a message via MSN to Timmaay
After 4trips to the French alps I totally gotta step outa my comfort zone and go somewhere else! Italy or Austria are where I'm thinking at the sec. Definitely not going to book until I see how the season is panning out, I'd actually be happy enough to wait till last minute to book wherever it looks like the snow is good!
26-07-2018, 11:41   #11
cormee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaay View Post
After 4trips to the French alps I totally gotta step outa my comfort zone and go somewhere else! Italy or Austria are where I'm thinking at the sec. Definitely not going to book until I see how the season is panning out, I'd actually be happy enough to wait till last minute to book wherever it looks like the snow is good!
Austria is pretty cool, not mad about the food, but otherwise it's great. Nice people and great terrain. I was the same as you, years in French Alps, then went to St. Anton and Lech, both were excellent.
26-07-2018, 20:33   #12
Mitch Buchannon

I'll have my usual 2 trips again this year. Both back to Chamonix more than likely.

I never managed to get my 3rd trip in this year to Stowe. I have family there that will put us up if we decide to visit this coming winter. They have already been on to me trying to get us to commit to a trip for next March.

I know its great to have options but sometimes it makes things even harder..
27-07-2018, 12:07   #13
irlirishkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Buchannon View Post
I'll have my usual 2 trips again this year. Both back to Chamonix more than likely.

I never managed to get my 3rd trip in this year to Stowe. I have family there that will put us up if we decide to visit this coming winter. They have already been on to me trying to get us to commit to a trip for next March.

I know its great to have options but sometimes it makes things even harder..
We've Ski'd in Stowe. Small, but nice skiing. And the town is just gorgeous!
27-07-2018, 16:54   #14
Mitch Buchannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlirishkev View Post
We've Ski'd in Stowe. Small, but nice skiing. And the town is just gorgeous!
Yeah beautiful place. We have been there in the summer time. We spent the 4th of July holidays with them. They live just outside Waterbury.
There are lots of places to ski/snowboard there. I think we would be bringing the 2 kids to Cochrans hill at Richmond.
28-07-2018, 08:18   #15
maddness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaay View Post
Having skied most of the big resorts in France and in Italy I reckon Italy is fantastic with some amazing resorts and stunning scenery, great food and wine, much cheaper than France and I find the people very welcoming. On the downside the lift infrastructure is probably not as good as France or Austria generally.
Austria great too but I’ve only been there a few times so can’t give great advice!
I still think France has the best skiing but you pay more for it.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion