Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LPGA Tour Thread

• 05-06-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Excellent tense finish yesterday at us womens open. Ariya Jutanugarn struggles through a 7shot collapse in her last 9 holes to turn a certain victory into a playoff. Went behind in the 2 hole playoff on the first. Came back to force sudden death. It took a few more sudden death holes to close it out.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I didn't watch it, how did she throw away a 7 shot lead though?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I'm not sure completely tbh. I only switched it on with about 3 holes left of regular play. I think there was rain delays one of the days and there was a bit of catch up on day 3 or something, so tiredness was a factor. Also the girl in 2nd place played a great back 9, and was making crazy putts. It was a great fight, it was so close to going to go the other way, that the commentators were already discussing how the (inevitable) loss that Ariya was about to suffer have may either be a learning experience for or a loss so bad that she never recovers from it! For her to turn it around again right there and win the playoff made great watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think she had a messy week, if I'm remembering correctly.

She arrived the day before the tournament was due to start & didn't get in a single practice round.

Think there may have also been some issue with her clubs too?

Combine that with the weather issues, and all could add up to a scenario where things could go awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

She was cruising along 5 ahead until she hit the hazard way right on 10 and had a triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Great tournament to watch. Some of the golf was of the highest quality. A number of them flush it arrow straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Remember first seeing Jutanugarn a couple of years ago at one of the majors. Didnt have a driver in her bag but was hitting the ball prodigious distances off the tee with her 2 iron. Looks really competitive in the womens division now but if she improves her all round game I'd be confident of her winning a fair few more. Lydia Ko pretty much unsighted again last week, kind of wonder if it wasn't all too much too soon for her. Though she has won on tour this season to be fair to her.

I see that Kim Sei-Young has set the record score for a ladies tour event, -31, shooting 63,65,64,65 with 31 birdies & the rest pars.

That's insane golf. Seems to have been a fairly low scoring event, 2nd place was -22 & joint 3rd at -20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Will be interesting to see what happens with this...

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1098954251991158785

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seems like a clear agreement to break the rules...shouldn't be any discussion.

Though it may hinge on what was actually said between the players
    "its fine" is different than "leave it", especially since she was ready to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement

Want to be a right chump altogether to fall foul of that rule. Nod and a wink and it’s sorted everytime, no need for anybody to agree to anything.

Leona Maguire in top ten after 2nd Round today in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Leona Maguire in top ten after 2nd Round today in Australia.

Thanks & great to see BUT.....its a LET (Ladies European Tour)event not an LPGA event. Maguire doesn't have a full LPGA card only a Symetra Tour card for 2019.

Point taken ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lexi with another 3 putt from 18 inches.

She'd be light years ahead of everyone if she could putt. Shes kinda like Westwood on the short ones

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Stephanie Meadow is in a 3 way tie for the lead after 2 rounds. This week's LPGA event is a team event with Foursomes in Rounds 1 & 3 and Fourball in rounds 2 & 4
    The leaderboard is congested with another 6 teams a shot off the lead

Anybody tuning in to the Solheim Cup today & for the weekend?

Must be quite cold over there, they're all wrapped up in Winter gear, or are pros in general just too used playing in sunnier climes?

Some very good & some bad golf played over the opening few holes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Anybody tuning in to the Solheim Cup today & for the weekend?

Must be quite cold over there, they're all wrapped up in Winter gear, or are pros in general just too used playing in sunnier climes?

Some very good & some bad golf played over the opening few holes

I’ll be watching hilights later alright, welcome break from watching pga / EuropeanTour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah the solheim cup always interesting. Americans off to a flier.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...The Korda sisters are producing some foursomes golf for sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Some terribly poor golf at times this morning, real amateur stuff.

On the range this morning with headphones on, it's way it's going! Wonder what she's listening to? Maybe an audio book of Bob Rotella!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Some terribly poor golf at times this morning, real amateur stuff.

Not great again today but the conditions are tough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pace of play is beyond pathetic too I think.

Yeah lot of people online giving out doesn't seem too obvious watching it on TV.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Their putting seems shocking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

A quick query on women's golf. I am not a golfer but just saw a long putt by an American go in. Sets me thinking.

If women were playing amongst men in the Open this year, how would their scoring have been? After four days, would they be high up in the scoring? Challenging for the lead? Or would they not have made the cut? The putting surely is as good as men?

No, the women couldn't compete and nor should we expect them to. Anne van Dam with a driving distance of 280 yards is the longest hitter on lpga which would put her around 180th on the pga list. Royal Portrust came in at 7,344 yards this year compared to 6,460 yards for the womens open at Woburn. Thats a near 60 yard per hole average difference and add in deeper rough for men and you have an impossible gap to bridge for women. No short game on earth is going to help them.

In relation to standard of golf this weekend, i think its worth remembering that there's only 2 top 10 players in the field, both americans. Only one european in the top 20. Team matchplay golf is a brilliant format, though, finding it very enjoyable, despite some of the garish outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

No, the women couldn't compete and nor should we expect them to. Anne van Dam with a driving distance of 280 yards is the longest hitter on lpga which would put her around 180th on the pga list. Royal Portrust came in at 7,344 yards this year compared to 6,460 yards for the womens open at Woburn. Thats a near 60 yard per hole average difference and add in deeper rough for men and you have an impossible gap to bridge for women. No short game on earth is going to help them.

In relation to standard of golf this weekend, i think its worth remembering that there's only 2 top 10 players in the field, both americans. Only one european in the top 20. Team matchplay golf is a brilliant format, though, finding it very enjoyable, despite some of the garish outfits.

Thanks. Why are are there so many top players missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thanks. Why are are there so many top players missing?

Mostly Asians (Korean in particular) make up the best players in the World.

Advertisement