Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

star trek online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Up to lvl 33 and still really enjoying this, sticking to phasers as my weapons on my ship and loving the speed and ridiculous turn rate of my defiant glass cannon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Large update coming on thursday, lots of bug fixes apparently along with the new dilithium mining outpost for fleets. Which has some nice shiney upgrades for ship. :)

http://imgur.com/a/d3kvS

94a4e662c15e1994d8720910fc800b0d1371215360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I hadn't played this in ages so thought I'd give the Romulans a whirl last night and I'm loving it again. I wasn't too mad on the klingons, and while I've only played a bit as a Romulan, it's a huge improvement. Were cloaking devices readily available for Klingon ships? I don't remember using them before, but they made for great battles last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

humanji wrote: »
    I hadn't played this in ages so thought I'd give the Romulans a whirl last night and I'm loving it again. I wasn't too mad on the klingons, and while I've only played a bit as a Romulan, it's a huge improvement. Were cloaking devices readily available for Klingon ships? I don't remember using them before, but they made for great battles last night.

Yup the Klingons had normal and battle cloaks from the start but lacked a ton of missions so leveling up was just grinding pvp and the few pve repeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

These updates are great, obsessively playing it for the past month, maxed out a Romulan tactical character so I started a Fed science officer for the first time, just made captain last night and got an Intrepid Class, loves it :D

• Advertisement

shiney new ship today for romulans - http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=930741

4a15db95d7d8a63bd4dc1595ea78c4a11372717224.jpg

I'm guessing early release and patch day is due to Independence Day on Thursday.

Tempted to buy one, but think I'll wait till they (hopefully) go down in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Enjoying it myself, stopped playing a while ago but had bought the Excelsior class ship from the store which was cool, got promoted to captain and got the Galaxy class.... tbh I was expecting it to be cool but it only seem marginally (if even) better than the one I had.

Are science ships any good?

In combat, science ships cater for people who like to screw with an enemies electronics, jam their sensors, turn them on one another for example and kick their asses with anomalies like tyken's rift or gravity wells. Love those ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

azezil wrote: »
    In combat, science ships cater for people who like to screw with an enemies electronics, jam their sensors, turn them on one another for example and kick their asses with anomalies like tyken's rift or gravity wells. Love those ;)
    A lot of them, except for voyager, loek pretty crap though

So far I have just solo played, haven't communicated with anyone tbh, the game is very much enjoyable like this but I think I'm missing out a bit, just joined a fleet, dont wanna embaress myself to them, but what do fleets actually do? The one I joined seems good they say they have a starbase, embassy and a dilithium mine (dunno what these are/for lol)

I played a lot of WoW and ran a guild for a while, is it kinda the same thing? What do fleets do together?

• Advertisement

I haven't actually done anything with fleets! although I am a member of a few different ones :D

I have contributed to the construction of one starbase and dilithium mines are handy, mine dilithium to buy shiny stuff :)

All being in a fleet does for you, is, unlocks starbase defense/invasion missions in the group que. Of course doing these with coordinated groups will be far more rewarding than pugs. And depending on the level of the starbase depends on what extra gear you would have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Other than missions how do u increase your rank?

Can you only rank up through missions or something?

character rank can be increased through missions, fleet actions, pvp, and through the duty officer mission system(though this does not give out large amounts of xp)

starbase rank and the reputaion tiers are increased through completing associated projects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Session 8 update today bring the introduction of the Voth and the Dyson Sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

After not playing this game for a year now (since Nov 2012), I'm thinking about starting back up again

Could someone fill me in on what Gold rewards and goodies await since I've been gone please?

Would really appreciate any info :)

S.E.A.L.s wrote: »
    After not playing this game for a year now (since Nov 2012), I'm thinking about starting back up again

Could someone fill me in on what Gold rewards and goodies await since I've been gone please?

Would really appreciate any info :)

Gold member's have gotten in the last year...

a rather meh free faction specific starship
    new costume bits in the tailor
    faction specific spacesuits aka the one's you used to have to buy for zen

Think that's it tbh.

Buying gold memberships at this stage is madness tho imho.

Gold membership gives, costume sets,costume slots, shipslots, 2 faction ships per faction, pets, access to captains lounge(instance), automatic dil refining( can do 7 days if you havent logged on in that time, 99 billion credit cap, account bank slots and priority queing.

All but the last four depend on veterncy, and the prioity queing is the only thing that you cant keep unsubbed ( can pay to have the credit cap unlocked in the store)

if any of you lot are interested, free item from the store each day this week for the 4 year anniversary
    To celebrate our upcoming 4-year anniversary event (which starts next Thursday, 1/30 – more details soon), and to thank you for making 2013 the best year for Star Trek Online yet, we are excited to announce that we will be giving away FREE C-Store items next week! As we will feature something different each day, you won’t want to miss out!

Each day around 10AM PST, starting this Monday, January 27, 2014 and until next Wednesday, January 29, 2014, we will be posting a news article letting you know which item is free! To claim it, simply log into the game on an eligible character (we’ll list the eligibility requirements for each item in the individual news posts), visit the in-game C-Store, navigate to the item listed in the news post, and click the “Claim” button before the next day’s giveaway. The best part is that the price for each of the announced items will be 0 ZEN, and they are account-wide unlocks!

We hope you are as excited about this awesome promotion as we are, and we thank each of you for your support of Star Trek Online.

See you in-game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but it was either that or start a new one.

I'm considering getting STO and just wondering what people who've been on it for years think. are there many Irish people? is it newcomer friendly? It's free to play so i have nothing to lose but i'd still like some input. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've played it for a few years and would love to get back into it if I got the chance. I think it's a really good game. It's very single player friendly and good for playing in short bursts when you just feel like popping in. It can seem a little overwhelming when you see all the duty officer sections and the skill listings aren't the easiest things to immediately understand. But if you throw yourself into it, it does make sense after a while.

It's free to play, so I say go for it and see if you like it. It's one of the few games I honestly felt obliged to buy something from it's store because I had so much fun with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

New expansion announced

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9937943-star-trek-online%3A-agents-of-yesterday-announcement

"Agents of Yesterday'

Agents of Yesterday will leverage the time travel-centric storyline propelling the game's current events to give players an opportunity to create new characters native to the 23rd century and undertake "an adventure featuring classic storylines, locations, celebrities, and era-appropriate starships". Also, the classic lizard-man Gorn from "Arena" will be making an appearance.

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and PS4

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9956413

The console peasants will be on their own sever so no mixing with their PC betters :pac:

PC version getting new graphics update this year and rumors of a UI overhaul which is badly needed.

Not to impressed with the ToS expansion as STO is one of the most alt unfriendly MMO's on the market so starting over a new character just doesn't appeal to me tbh.

And another annoucment to come this weekend, some serious shakes ups so far

Hoping it will not be two separate servers like neverwinter.

And another annoucment to come this weekend, some serious shakes ups so far

Hoping it will not be two separate servers like neverwinter.

Devs have said its two separate servers just like Neverwinter.

Also, the AoY starter missions on Tribble test server are buggy and broken as fcuk. Don't waste the bandwidth on them atm.

Anyone playing the new expansion?

Anyone playing the new expansion?

Played a bit to get the character status as a recruit for account wide rewards. The quality of the new content which is pretty meh tbh.

Venom wrote: »
    Played a bit to get the character status as a recruit for account wide rewards. The quality of the new content which is pretty meh tbh.

Not a lot of new content, but it will be released in consoles soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Having played it for about 17 hours, i'm finding it very easy to get into. The ship maneuvering seems daunting at first but is pretty intuitive and a lit easier to fly than the Star Trek games on consoles. Is there any way that you can go into 3rd person mode and just wander around your ship? I'm hoping to eventually pick up the Nova Class, I wasted the Steamrunner but it doesn't seem available :(

• Advertisement

Having played it for about 17 hours, i'm finding it very easy to get into. The ship maneuvering seems daunting at first but is pretty intuitive and a lit easier to fly than the Star Trek games on consoles. Is there any way that you can go into 3rd person mode and just wander around your ship? I'm hoping to eventually pick up the Nova Class, I wasted the Steamrunner but it doesn't seem available :(

You can use the drop down menu on the top right of the UI to "visit your bridge" and depending on the ship you have (Lobi or certain c-store ones), it will have a show accurate one or just a generic one.

Advertisement