Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2016, 21:55   #46
Fattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaola View Post
WHERE did I say 'Go and ski with cardboard in your boots'????

Do you actually read any posts before commenting on them?

The fellow doesn't have time to get his boots refitted in Snow & Rock (see, I actually READ his post) and I thought that maybe, offering him some advice, instead of trolling the post looking for something to moan about might be a better use of my time.
Trolling ha ha! Perhaps check the definition. Correct and relevant advice is never trolling. You were giving someone advice on how to fit ski boots I will ask again what qualification do you have to suggest stuffing cardboard in their boots will help in any way.

The problem with this forum and the original purpose do this thread was to mitigate the woeful amounts of poor, ignorant commentary in relation to boot fitting. Sadly to many people with no qualification or relevant knowledge were giving advice that was worse than useless or damaging to those seeking it.

Boot fitting is a science and requires precision, skill and knowledge. The reality is if they don't have time' to solve the problem they will somehow have to make time, or they risk making the problem more severe or creating a bigger issue
Advertisement
22-02-2016, 16:00   #47
Northern Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I had my one and only week ruined last year due to ankle pain from pressure put on the bone by the boots pressing on it on my first day. I took the boots to snow and rock after I came back and they suggested a footbed and remould of the boots/liner, which I got done and thought nothing more of it until this week (heading away on Saturday). stuck the boots on last night and can instantly feel pressing on the ankle. I don't want to ruin another week with them, so should I bring them with me and hope to get them looked at in resort or sack them off and buy/rent a new pair when I get there?
To close this one out, I brought the boots with me and got them adjusted in resort. They have been spot on for the 2 days I've worn them since.
(2) thanks from:
02-09-2016, 11:18   #48
Inconspicuous

Lads,

I made the switch from Boarding to Skiing last year and I must say I'm really enjoying it. I'm planning on taking some lessons here again with the missus before heading off on our annual ski trip in the new year.

To that end I've convinced her that we should both get some properly fitted ski boots and "break them in" on the dry slope here before going. I reckon that it can only help our technique and progression having proper boots.

We're planning on taking a spin down to Snow and Rock some weekday and I was just wondering if its still the best place to go for proper guidance and fitting of boots. If not, has anyone got any advice on what we should do?

Thanks lads
02-09-2016, 11:35   #49
Fattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconspicuous View Post
Lads,

I made the switch from Boarding to Skiing last year and I must say I'm really enjoying it. I'm planning on taking some lessons here again with the missus before heading off on our annual ski trip in the new year.

To that end I've convinced her that we should both get some properly fitted ski boots and "break them in" on the dry slope here before going. I reckon that it can only help our technique and progression having proper boots.

We're planning on taking a spin down to Snow and Rock some weekday and I was just wondering if its still the best place to go for proper guidance and fitting of boots. If not, has anyone got any advice on what we should do?

Thanks lads
Its pretty much the only show in town right now as Great Outdoors previous expert boot fitter is no longer working there.

Ask for Hubert, he is the best of what is available in Ireland right now, an ex top class ski racer, inexperienced boot fitter but good knowledge.

Last edited by Fattes; 02-09-2016 at 11:38.
Thanks from:
02-09-2016, 11:39   #50
Inconspicuous

Thanks Fattes.

Thats the problem living here alright, lack of good options for these things. Try as I might, i just can't convince my wife to move to the Alps

To be honest, since were both really only beginners I'm sure that somebody with his knowledge is probably still going to be good enough (hopefully). I'll call ahead before we go in and make sure he is around.

Thanks for all the help, you really are a wealth of knowledge!
Advertisement
02-09-2016, 22:50   #51
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

When you get to the alps, there will we plenty of ski shops willing to help you - intersport etc.
Go in and explain that you want to 'try and then buy', they will fit you properly, rent them to you, and you can come back every day and try something different it it doesn't suit.

As a beginner (to skiing) I wouldn't recommend this though, rent your boots the first year and get a feel for what works, don't be shy about going back to the renter and changing them.

Skis for a first time skiier should be below your eye level when stood up in the shop. Shorter = slower and easier to turn, longer = faster and harder to turn.
02-09-2016, 23:01   #52
Fattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
When you get to the alps, there will we plenty of ski shops willing to help you - intersport etc.
Go in and explain that you want to 'try and then buy', they will fit you properly, rent them to you, and you can come back every day and try something different it it doesn't suit.

As a beginner (to skiing) I wouldn't recommend this though, rent your boots the first year and get a feel for what works, don't be shy about going back to the renter and changing them.

Skis for a first time skiier should be below your eye level when stood up in the shop. Shorter = slower and easier to turn, longer = faster and harder to turn.
Interski are the worst boot fitters on the planet! It would like getting custom running shoes in champion sports. Very few resorts actually have good boot fitters. The resort I live in for example the nearest decent boot fitter is 40min away! Also a huge premium in resort in terms of equipment when purchasing. Boots are always a good investment, Make the ski experience much better. Ron day one

Also the ski advice is very outdated and wrong! World Cup slalom skis are 155cm long - 165cm for men. Although shorter turns turn quicker they, are much more unstable and skis that are to short, eject a lot of skiers out the back seat

Much like the first post in this thread, lots of bad advice going around still!
02-09-2016, 23:09   #53
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattes View Post
Also the ski advice is very outdated and wrong!

Much like the first post in this thread, lots of bad advice going around still!
What is wrong about it, please tell me? I'm only going on what I hear in Austria every year... if they are feeding me Ziegendrek then please .. the floor is yours.
02-09-2016, 23:45   #54
Fattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What is wrong about it, please tell me? I'm only going on what I hear in Austria every year... if they are feeding me Ziegendrek then please .. the floor is yours.
Guess for some background first, ISIA full time instructor working in Switzerland as a trainer for a ski school, and a senior instructor.Race and Freestyle coach and ex FIS racer. Trained bootfitter, sponsored athlete & brand ambassador for one of the major ski companies, and will be spending the next week training retail staff in the UK about next years equipment!

New technology has lead to hundreds of different Torsional stiffness materials such as flax, hemp, plastics and titanium, super fibers, polymod Carbon and Koroyd have changed ski design and performance dramatically.

Saying shorter skis are slower is wildly inaccurate Slalom skis 165 are stable up to speeds of 90- 100 kph. A punter rental ski with composite core with 165 length will struggle at 60 kph. Different construction but the same length. Lower end Rental skis tend not to be sidewall construction and composite Foam cores. They will be very different to a wood core sidewall ski of the same length.

Length of ski for beginner varies, depending on build, weight and boot length. Yes rental shops will shovel Kuhscheiße as they just want you to take what they say and get you out. About eye level is a good rule of thumb these days. If the skis are to short yes they are easier to turn, but they are much more unstable and vibrate more, making them more difficult to control, increasing fatigue and impeding technique

Longer skis can cause more damage in a fall by creating greater twisting forces on the joints. So shops will play it safer as the falls on shorter skis reduce that risk by a marginal %

The standard Austrian treatment in a rental shop is get them in and out as quickly and as safe as possible, with the skis that give them the biggest profit margin!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-09-2016, 07:17   #55
Fattes

Just reading this back it should read French/Austrian/Italian/Swiss rental shop, as the behaviour is fairly standard.
03-09-2016, 10:33   #56
hawkwind23

Fattes ,
I bought the Rossignol Experience 80 (168cm)
Im 5ft 6 and 205lbs (fatlad)
should be ok? as an intermediate i reckon i might find them tough to begin with but room to grow in them?
did a load of research and they seemed the ski that best suited.

I had to buy boots off the shelf , spent ages measuring myself and trying boots on without the lining and picked a pair that matched up with what the experts said to look out for.
My problem was the width , all the higher flex boots had narrow width so the Head boots i got allowed me to adjust that.
They seem about right although i wont know for sure till i get on the snow , my thinking is i can get them adjusted in resort?
Ill maybe take them down to Kilternan and get a feel for them
03-09-2016, 15:28   #57
Fattes

It's hard to tell without having seen you ski or knowing you but it's the type of ski I recommend most for intermediaries. A 78-84 under foot mountain front side ski, which is what you have there!

Most high performance boots with Flex of 100 and upwards tend to have a narrower last, but depending on the tow box and construction some can feel roomier. Plenty of company's offering custom she'll technology to help with that.

Lots of luck and fun with the new kit, if you are up in the ski club let me know. Also like Boris the blade says "heavy is good" it makes gravity your friend and co pilot
Thanks from:
07-09-2016, 15:49   #58
Fattes

Just a brief glimpse of how complicated boot fitting actually is! This is 3 of 10 processes over my 2.5 hour fitting today in the hands of an expert
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.81 MB, 86 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.27 MB, 67 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.45 MB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.94 MB, 67 views)
04-10-2016, 23:24   #59
al8217

I'm in the market for some women's freeride touring boots, and looking some advice on where is the best place to get these.

I'd like to go to a good boot fitter, and get the right pair for my feet. Last time I went through the custom-fitting process was in Canada and there was a good selection of expert fitters. I'm not so familiar with who to go to in the Alps/Ireland/London.
It's all the more difficult as I'm looking for pin-compatible women's boots, its a pretty small market, there's only a few models that meet my requirements and not many shops will stock them.

I'm considering an early season trip out to a glacier resort & get boots there - maybe Hintertux- does anyone know a good fitter in the Zillertal region?
Would also consider other snowsure resorts if there was a good shop with a good fitter and backcountry boot selection.
I'd also consider London, but I'd prefer to be able to ski the boots and go back to the fitter if they needed any adjustments.

Any thoughts?
05-10-2016, 11:16   #60
Fattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by al8217 View Post
I'm in the market for some women's freeride touring boots, and looking some advice on where is the best place to get these.
I'd like to go to a good boot fitter, and get the right pair for my feet. Last time I went through the custom-fitting process was in Canada and there was a good selection of expert fitters. I'm not so familiar with who to go to in the Alps/Ireland/London.
It's all the more difficult as I'm looking for pin-compatible women's boots, its a pretty small market, there's only a few models that meet my requirements and not many shops will stock them.
I'm considering an early season trip out to a glacier resort & get boots there - maybe Hintertux- does anyone know a good fitter in the Zillertal region?
Would also consider other snowsure resorts if there was a good shop with a good fitter and backcountry boot selection.
I'd also consider London, but I'd prefer to be able to ski the boots and go back to the fitter if they needed any adjustments.

Any thoughts?
* Disclaimer, I ski on a pro deal with Salomon

Hey, from a boot point of view you have tons of choice, both Salomon, Atomic, Dalbelli, Scarpa and technical now have pin compatible boots that are compatible or better than traditional brands.

In Ireland your only real option is Snow and Rock Dubdrum, they are carrying the boot attached, in the pic and if you only need footbeds they are more than capable of doing that.

In the UK Colin in Solutions for feet Bichester is the best there is or surefeet in London is in.

In Hintertux the ski rental and sale shop at Tuxer Fernerhaus Top of the 2nd Gondola is really good
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (877.5 KB, 59 views)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion