Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-01-2008, 17:03   #31
Johnny_Fontane

1. Where and when you went.
17-22nd January 2008
Alagna/Gressoney, Monta Rosa, Italy
Stayed here at 2,800m for €50 each half board
http://www.rifugioguglielmina.com/en/firsthome

2. What you did there ski/board/blade.
Board

3. How were the conditions on/off piste.
excellent snow, 120cm at bottom, 200cm at top
metre of fresh the day before we arrived, off piste was literally untouched, Italians dont like going off-piste, nobody can see them.

4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.
Advanced

5. What were the bars/restaurants like.
Its not st.Anton or anything close, you go to ski. Very inexpensive on the restaurant front, on mountain restaurants are like €5 for a bowl of pasta, €10 for three course meal with wine

6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.
1600m vertical, the place is empty, tons of off-piste, no tours, very quick lifts and cable cars

7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.
There's actually a published book available for €23 with all the off piste runs in the area. Anything off the Col d'olen is epic.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.
All Italians

9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.
Check out the rifugio, its the most amazing place I've ever stayed and its so so cheap, you need to negotiate a black run though to get to it or walk for like 15 minutes. This place is a gem, any powder hounds should try getting here. Its definitely NOT snowsure though, make sure there is plenty of snow before you go.

Last edited by Johnny_Fontane; 31-01-2008 at 17:06.
Advertisement
06-02-2008, 09:23   #32
Static M.e.

Livigno, Italy, 26/01/08 - 02/02/08

Boarded.

Conditions were good, they had a great base and even though we had real bluebird days the pistes didn't turn to slush.

Intermediate.

We stayed above Marco's Bar, which was an experience in itself. The apartments were quite nice but because you living above a nightclub earplugs are a must and then some, even with the earplugs in I could still hear the base pulsating through me. On saying that the staff in Marco's are really nice and very helpfully, they also do a decent food and drinks list.

We ventured out to two different restaurants one called Bella-vista which do good pizza's (You wont need a starter if you order one) and another just past Bella-vista called Ristorante Vallentiun (Or something like that, it has a bright red neon sign, and is located on the basement level) Food and drink is so cheap, on average you will spend more on Wine than on your dinner and the food is top notch stuff, for 10 people on average it was costing us €310 euro, which would include a bit of wine (5 bottles+) starters, mains and some deserts.

Tax Free, food is excellent and they have some lovely local wines. Anyone I meet was really nice to deal with. They have built a new park on the Carosella Mountain is lacking but has potential, they have also installed a new Mini gondola at the other end of the town but its only for beginners really. The Montolino Park was in great condition, runs were well groomed.

Restaurants mentioned above were quite nice, you will need to book for Bella-vista

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.
A good mix of nationalities, meet a good few Irish north and south.

Going again in March but one of things that will annoy the advanced people is the lack of runs, its not that big of a resort and you could cover each mountain in a day. Also the trek from one side of the mountain to the other is annoying.
On the plus side they have lots of Free buses running all the time so its very easy to wait for one and just hop on. Taxis are also really cheap if you stay in Montolino for the day its really nice to get a cab home for 4-6 euro.
The Bus journey is tough too, 5 hours with a stop from Burgamo.
All in all though its a great little spot with a lot of pluses to it, this was my second time and I'm going back again in March.

Tea Borch: On a Tuesday or Thursday was great fun, dancing on tables, LOTS Of wine and decent food at a little bar on top of the black. It books out early though. Good for a serious night out.
11-02-2008, 10:45   #33
mcgratheoin

Meribel Mottaret - 3 Valleys - 2nd to 9th of Feb 2008

Ski

Unbelievable - snowed the day before we arrived and all night Monday - half a metre of untouched powder on Tuesday morning and nobody on it!

Advanced

Bars were ok, Mottaret is a quieter village than Meribel, but better for skiing.
Some excellent restaurants there - ZigZag in particular is fantastic - very small though, so needs to be booked for the evening well in advance. Ordered the Cote a boeuf with a friend - let me tell you know that 800gr of medium rare steak is a lot of meat between two people!! - never paid more than €50 a head for dinner (inc wine or beer)

Ideal skiing location - especially good for exploring the entire 3 valleys resort as you are in the middle one. Quicker to the top of Courchevel than if you were in Courchevel itself even!

I was the second person on MT Vallon one morning - freshly groomed piste that gets really churned up after about an hour - unbelieveable high speed run when it's fresh - get tucked in and start humming the ski sunday music in your head!
ZigZag restaurant is also well worth a visit

A good mix of nationalities, lots of Brits, but plenty of French as well

In the middle of the biggest ski area in the world, what's not to like? Val Thorens may be a little better bet as it's 2700m and will have a better snow hit rate but Mottaret was excellent. Courcheval or Meribel itself may be better for beginners in terms of green runs, but for advanced skiers and people looking for off-piste, I would definitely recommend it!
18-02-2008, 18:07   #34
bonkey

Zweisimmen/Gstaad, 09-16 Feb

Ski.

There hasn't been any snowfall in over 2 weeks, and the current temps are even too high for the snow-cannons to be fired up. As a result, the pistes were quite hard, with one or two becoming simply too icy to use.

I tend not to do off-piste, so I can't comment on that.

The pistes themselves are mostly easy going...a large amount of blues, fewer reds, and only 3 or 4 blacks. But with something like 250km of connected slopes, there should be enough to keep the on-piste skier happy.

There's also a small snow-park, only opened this year. Not my thing, so I can't really comment.

Good intermediate, I guess.

Typical Swiss piste-based stuff...so good nothing high-class, and they all tend to serve more-or-less the same type fo fare. We found a proper restaurant just off the bottom of the Saanenmoser station that did a bit more variety, and was a bit higher quality than normal, which only cost a couple of francs more. The tradeoff was that the view doesn't compare to one of the mountain-top stops.

Didn't do apres-ski and only ate out one evening...so I can't really comment on that side of things.

Its not-so touristy and very family-oriented. Kids under 10 ski for free (not that this helped us).

Not really hidden...but night-skiing on Rinderberg is so worth doing. The lower half of the slope is floodlit, and open from 18:00 or 18:30 till 22:00, and the entire evening costs only 10 CHF. Can take sleds up on that run too.

Mostly Swiss, but with a good mix of tourists. Surprisingly large number of Irish compared to previous years.

I'll definitely go again, cause the region is my "local hill" and I have a holiday home pretty-much beside it.

I can't really comment on how costs stack up for tourists, cause I only ski in Switzerland (where I live), but the Swiss media have been reporting in recent years how more and more Swiss stay home instead of going to Austria/Italy/France now, because the price-difference no longer makes it worthwhile. With the Euro doing nicely against the Franc, you could find its not unaffordable.

The region itself is quite low down (1000-200m) so its not the safest bet snow-wise....but other than last year, I've never been let down in the second week of Feb
24-02-2008, 11:23   #35
bohsman

Tignes, France - Le Lac and val claret.

2. What you did there ski/board/blade

5 boarders 2 skiers

Very Icy, 1 day snow so far in February, saw snow cannons used a couple of times. The more experienced boarders said off piste was better.

Beginner.

Good but very pricey, 6.50 for a pint, food was a bit more reasonable. 10-15euro for a very good pizza.

The snow park was very good apparently, the one in VC not as busy as the one in le lac but just as good according to a friend of mine who is out there for the season.

Seemed to be mainly French and English

Val Claret and Le Lac are about a 10minute walk/30minute board apart, Le Lac seems to have more family stuff, bowling, arcade etc while Val Claret has the better nightlife.

The accomodation was tiny, basically a corridor with a bunk bed and a fold out couch that slept 4 with a cooker and sink in a corner, it came with 3 meals a day which consisted of around 8 boxes of food parcels containing rice pasta, tinned food etc and a sheet listing how to eat them - "day 6 - Rice with eggs" It cost a hidden 50euro to use the tv for the week.

Id probably go again if I improved as a boarder but Ill probably try somewhere cheaper next time, thinking czech republic in the next 2 months if theres snow.
Advertisement
25-02-2008, 10:43   #36
jameshayes

Mayrhofen

16th - 23rd Feb - Mayrhofen - Austria
Ski
Snowfall was good previous week, poor our week, didn't snow at all and temps got to +8 on slope at night so snow didn't freeze. Lucky we weren't going a week later.
Mix of all levels in our group. Stayed on Blues and Reds.
Good value for money, local food was great. Beer ~€3.50
Peter Habelar Ski school is great. (Peter was the 1st person to climb Everest without tined oxygen. Chris(son) now runs the school. Excellent lessons.
The Harakuri 78Degrees flat! Filled my ski boots with pee when I looked down.
Lots of Irish, but loads of Germans & Dutch (went on Dutch mid term break)
Dont book it through an agency - Fly to salzburg / munich & rent a car(or get the train)
03-03-2008, 11:23   #37
gamblor101

Lillehamer/Hafjell Norway 24/02/08 - 02/03/08

2. What you did there ski/board/blade

Ski

Snowed on the second day. Conditions were great. 1.2m at the top and 0.6m at the bottom.

Started as Beginner. Would say intermediate now.

Food quality was excellent but bring plenty of $$$$$$$$$

The instructors were great (went from green slopes to red in less than 90 min). Not too busy and a good variety of slopes. They are also are nice and wide so plenty of room for everyone.

Majority seemed to be local but most of them were fluent in english anyway.

2hr train journey from Oslo airport to Lillehammer and 20min bus ride from Lillehammer to Hafjell. Bus is free with the 5/6/7+ day lift pass. Would go again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by gamblor101; 03-03-2008 at 11:25. Reason: added in dates in the resort
09-03-2008, 14:49   #38
Orion
My karma just ran over your dogma

Chamonix. 1st March 2008
Ski
Icy up high and sugary down low to start due to lack of fresh snow. Got some snow during the week which improved things greatly. Off piste very crusty at start for same reason.
Intermediate
OK. Found one great bar in Chamonix town called Chambre Neuf which rocked but it was jammed. Queues outside most evenings for apres ski.
Not really - see #9.
Very mixed.
There is some great skiiing for all levels in Chamonix. 3 main regions all with all grades of skiiing. Le Tour for easier runs, Flegere/Brevent for a little higher level and Grandes Montes for the best skiiing. Grandes Montes also has some excellent glacier off-piste for you experts. Some of our group did it and said it was great. Vallee Blanche is the best known off-piste run in the world and starts at about 3800 metres on a glacier and is 28km long.

However, I don't think I'll be going there skiing again. The only links between the three regions are by bus - no lifts/cable cars. And you have to then queue (for up to an hour at certain times) to get the cable cars/chairs to the ski regions. This makes it a pain if you have a mixed group skiing in different areas. Difficult to meet up after lessons etc. If you have a group all of the same level though it would be fine - you could just pick a region every day and stay there. The bus system isn't great either - not as regular as some other resorts I've been too. We were blessed in that our chalet owners dropped us to to the lifts in the morning and collected us in the evening but during the day we were on our own for travelling. Once you're up there the lift systems are excellent. The bars in the regions are only ok. But at the end of the day it's a fair trek back to the town for apres ski.
11-03-2008, 23:45   #39
5h4mr0(k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macros42 View Post
Chamonix. 1st March 2008
Ski
Icy up high and sugary down low to start due to lack of fresh snow. Got some snow during the week which improved things greatly. Off piste very crusty at start for same reason.
Intermediate
OK. Found one great bar in Chamonix town called Chambre Neuf which rocked but it was jammed. Queues outside most evenings for apres ski.
Not really - see #9.
Very mixed.
There is some great skiiing for all levels in Chamonix. 3 main regions all with all grades of skiiing. Le Tour for easier runs, Flegere/Brevent for a little higher level and Grandes Montes for the best skiiing. Grandes Montes also has some excellent glacier off-piste for you experts. Some of our group did it and said it was great. Vallee Blanche is the best known off-piste run in the world and starts at about 3800 metres on a glacier and is 28km long.

However, I don't think I'll be going there skiing again. The only links between the three regions are by bus - no lifts/cable cars. And you have to then queue (for up to an hour at certain times) to get the cable cars/chairs to the ski regions. This makes it a pain if you have a mixed group skiing in different areas. Difficult to meet up after lessons etc. If you have a group all of the same level though it would be fine - you could just pick a region every day and stay there. The bus system isn't great either - not as regular as some other resorts I've been too. We were blessed in that our chalet owners dropped us to to the lifts in the morning and collected us in the evening but during the day we were on our own for travelling. Once you're up there the lift systems are excellent. The bars in the regions are only ok. But at the end of the day it's a fair trek back to the town for apres ski.
I was there for the same week and I'd have to agree with most of the points.

Chamonix. 1st March 2008
Ski 2 days, blade 4
It hadn't snowed in a month and the weather was quite warm in the start of the week. Snow was quite slushy first day. After the snow fall things improved a lot. Last day was very warm and not doing conditions any good
4. Are you beginner/intermediate/advanced.
Advancedish
Chambre Neuf was great. Live music everyday. Jammers but friendly. South Bar was good two.
Can get to all the ski areas from the centre of the town
Some good restaurants at decent prices. The Cavern comes to mind. Most pubs do pitchers of beer - if you're in a round they're great.
Very mixed. Seemed to be quite a few Northern Europeans there. Norwegians, Swedes and Finns.
The distance from Chamonix to the different areas by the bus can be 30+ minutes. That in itself ain't bad if you plan to do a different area each day, but when lifts get closed, due to high winds etc., it can waste a lot of time switching areas.
It's not possible to ski to the bottom in some of the areas. This is a real bummer. Bad enough queueing for 1.5 hours to get up the hill, without having to repeat the process coming down (at least there's a bar at the top for the return journey).
Overall it was a good week. I'd consider going back, but wouldn't put it top of the list.
From what I heard from beginners I wouldn't recommend it for lessons.
Advertisement
12-03-2008, 01:04   #40
Orion
My karma just ran over your dogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h4mr0(k View Post
It's not possible to ski to the bottom in some of the areas. This is a real bummer. Bad enough queueing for 1.5 hours to get up the hill, without having to repeat the process coming down (at least there's a bar at the top for the return journey).

From what I heard from beginners I wouldn't recommend it for lessons.
Forgot about that bit. You could ski to the bottom on a red from Le Tour and Grand Montes. Didn't do the Le Tour run but I heard it wasn't the best. The Grand Montes red was lovely except for the bottom section which was artificial snow.
The Le Flegere black run down was closed due to it being green. And I don't mean patches of grass - You could walk it in shoes

as for beginners - one of our group was a first-timer and she loved it. Good greens in Le Tour and gentle blues up top. And at the end of the week she was on blues in Grandes Montes.
26-03-2008, 12:34   #41
justdoit

Mayrhofen

Mayrhofen, March 15-22
Board
Pistes were crowded and got quite icy quite quickly. Consistent snow fall for the week gave a break from spring conditions experienced in February. To be honest though, barely skied a piste all week, as there was heaps of great spots to be found off-piste. Off piste conditions were better nearer the top, and quite tracked at the bottom. Visibility generally wasn't great, but when it opened up, it was really pretty epic, and most people didn't seem interested in riding powder.
Advanced
We had a pretty big group, so most bars we went to became pretty busy anyway, but Eisbar is a typical cheesy apres spot that gets pretty manic, Mo's isn't an apres bar as such, but can still get crazy...
Loads of terrain and not many people taking advantage. Get a guide and go nuts!
Not particularly hidden, but riding under the 150 man lift gives loads of off-piste bowls and powder fields, bringing down to a restaurant doing good pizzas and affording you a great view of the amazing park, where some genuinely video worthy skiers do their thing...
A lot of English, but no one nationality really standing out. A lot of locals also
A bit strange that you have to download at the end of the day, but given that the town is at only 700 metre this is not a surprise. A lot of terrain, and a lot of pistes to suit all levels. Would recommend
26-03-2008, 13:12   #42
bonkey

[QUOTE=bonkey;55170737]1. Where and when you went.

Adelboden, 22 Mar

Ski.

There was a fresh dump of snow the previous night, resulting in what were arguably the best conditions all Winter. Pistes weren't fully prepared, so they had a lot of fresh, cut-up snow on them, making them a big mogul-ish.

Still good intermediate, I guess.

Can't comment, beyond lunch being typical fare for a Swiss resort.

Large number of varied runs...including an FIS World Cup downhill run.

Not this time.

Mostly Swiss, but with a good mix of tourists. Again...I was surprised to hear some Irish accents around.

I'll definitely go again, cause the region is the nearest after my "local hill" (Zweisimmen).
27-03-2008, 10:15   #43
edmund_f

Whistler 13 - 25th March

Board

Very varied - freezing level was constantly moving, so could be anything from snow to ice to spring conditions lower down

Intermediate

all good, pretty much lived in Dusty's, would not go to Zen (you will know it if you come across it)

Fresh tracks
any of the supergroups
Dustys

did not even get near blackcomb so no

Am i the only one to find this question slightly racist?

go again - yes
things to note, they add tax and then a tip, so budget probably 20% extra on everything - for transfers, resort cabs, very good service. Get a lesson of any description as soon as possible after arriving, even just as a guide. Fresh tracks is worth the early rise.
28-03-2008, 20:34   #44
EileenG

Arabba, in Italy

Just back from Arabba in Dolomite region of Italy, flew out via Treviso on a Ryanair cheapie on March 23, came back March 28.

Went skiing with my family, including husband and three skiing daughters.

Piste conditions were amazing. Very well groomed pistes, excellent snow. It snowed while we were there, but off-piste was variable. Might be good if you were with a knowledge local guide.

Generally confident on piste, in almost all conditions, need good conditions off piste. The girls started the holiday as slow intermediates and finished as near-advanced.

Way too many to report. Every single lift seemed to have at least one restaurant at the top of it, and many runs had another couple on the way down. I can highly recommend the local drink called Bombadino. It's a hot mixture of eggs, sugar, brandy, all topped with whipped cream, and very strong. A round of 2 bombadinos and 3 hot chocolates with cream cost around 12 euro in most mountain bars.

The girls pretty much stuck to pizza and pasta, but enjoyed them over and over again. We tried various things, generally good. Dinner for five, including wine and water, generally cost around 60-70 euro. Lunch was around 40 euro.

Absolutely massive ski area, around 1200km on one lift pass. We skied the Sella Ronda one day, a popular circuit of around 40km. Watch out for closed link lifts, we had to hike up a mountain ridge carrying skis at one point. Not popular with the children! We skied different areas every day and hardly repeated a run.

If staying in Arabba, get to Marmalada in the morning, great runs from the top all the way down. If you have a guide, ask about the Hidden Valley.

Fair mixture of nationalities, but generally all pretty good skiers. Didn't seem to be many packages to there. You could order a meal in any language. Actually, my schoolgirl German got me further than my Lingaphone Italian.

Would definitely go again. I've got a long list of runs I want to do again, and ones I want to try. I would not recommend it for non-skiers, but perfect for keen skiers. Lots of easy runs as well, you just have to be keen, not expert. A total disaster if you are on a diet. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay google "garni" and your chosen town to get a list of B&B type places rather than 5 star hotels.
Thanks from:
13-04-2008, 11:44   #45
Static M.e.

Morzine\Avoriaz 5-12th April

Board

Pistes were in great shape, plenty of snow and well groomed. We had two serious big Snow drops on the Sunday and Tuesday night so Off Piste was also really good, alot of tree runs mixed with big open mountain made the off piste action very enjoyable

Advanced

Bars\Restaurants were decent. We mostly ate in a place called Changabang on the mountain, food was good and very reasonable. Down in Morzine, the good bars are The Cavern and the Budda bar. They also have a beer called Mutzig which should come with a warning label..

The resort is really nice, we stayed close to the bottom of Avoriaz in chalets and loved every minute of it. We had a 5/10 min walk in the morning but it was very scenic and good for warming up the legs. Its also a huge mountain area, in one week I barely touched alot of the runs. We found two park areas one for begineers and one for Pros. I only tried the jumps in the begineer area but they were big enough and are sign posted as green, Blue, and Red. They also have a park that goes through the trees called the stash. All the Stash features are made from the trees so you find a lot of wall slide, tree rails, Tree boxs and Picnic table jumps, its pretty cool. The resort is only a 90 Minutes from Geneva Airport so its got a very small transfer time.

Not real gems that I can describe. We had a guide for the week so we were shown alot of hidden off pistes areas and hidden runs through the trees which were really good once the main pistes got cut up.

A lot of English and French

I would definetly go again, infact I will be going again this time next year. Its my new favourite resort.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion