1. Where and when you went.
17-22nd January 2008
Alagna/Gressoney, Monta Rosa, Italy
Stayed here at 2,800m for €50 each half board
2. What you did there ski/board/blade.
3. How were the conditions on/off piste.
excellent snow, 120cm at bottom, 200cm at top
metre of fresh the day before we arrived, off piste was literally untouched, Italians dont like going off-piste, nobody can see them.
4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.
5. What were the bars/restaurants like.
Its not st.Anton or anything close, you go to ski. Very inexpensive on the restaurant front, on mountain restaurants are like €5 for a bowl of pasta, €10 for three course meal with wine
6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.
1600m vertical, the place is empty, tons of off-piste, no tours, very quick lifts and cable cars
7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.
There's actually a published book available for €23 with all the off piste runs in the area. Anything off the Col d'olen is epic.
8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.
9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.
Check out the rifugio, its the most amazing place I've ever stayed and its so so cheap, you need to negotiate a black run though to get to it or walk for like 15 minutes. This place is a gem, any powder hounds should try getting here. Its definitely NOT snowsure though, make sure there is plenty of snow before you go.