Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all. I've just arrived at the park and there is plenty of parking on Chesterfield Ave, but filling up quick enough.

Good luck to all racing, just an LSR for me today

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

The best of luck today, hope it goes well for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Best of luck everyone running today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

We're across from the FM104 truck beside the 2500 area of the bag drop! If anybody is about

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Sorry, didn’t get to hang around (pushing the patience of the other half!). Hope all had a good day. Came in on track 1.49.04 or there abouts. All went bang to plan. 1.50 pacers just in sight the whole way and passed them on the turn into the home straight. Got into a flat out sprint for the laugh at the end. Bit silly, nearly popped my hamstrings and I lost!! Had a great day though. Very pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

About 5 weeks ago I said I'd aim for under 2:15

Training was going well I said last week I'd go for as close to 2:00 as I could.

Chip time 1:49:41.

Delighted!!!! Race report later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭marathon19

Delighted I am

10 minutes faster than the only other half I raced,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

~1:47:30... Waiting on official time. I'm probably happier than the lad who came 1st today :D Will do race report later/tomorrow, got a 5 year olds birthday party to run now.

Edit: Chip time 1:47:30 on the button, ecstatic with that result today.

Well done everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Got around it in 2.20 injury free
    Happy out
    Also my 10mile time was drastically improved.
    Great course and plenty of water
    Well done all

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

My chip time differs from my strava and Fitbit time by 10 minutes
    Anybody else have this?

• Advertisement

Sorry, didn’t get to hang around (pushing the patience of the other half!). Hope all had a good day. Came in on track 1.49.04 or there abouts. All went bang to plan. 1.50 pacers just in sight the whole way and passed them on the turn into the home straight. Got into a flat out sprint for the laugh at the end. Bit silly, nearly popped my hamstrings and I lost!! Had a great day though. Very pleased.

1.49.02 chip time. And according to Garmin that sprint topped out at 19.5mph! The other lad must have been related to Usain Bolt.

Soulsun wrote: »
    My chip time differs from my strava and Fitbit time by 10 minutes
    Anybody else have this?

Did you get a text. The first time is time from the official start time. The second one is the chip time.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

I still haven't got my chip time, is anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Well done everyone who raced today! Great running🌟🌟🌟

Still haven't got chip time... Any one else? 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I still haven't got my chip time, is anyone else the same?

https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/event-results

Official results are up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

py wrote: »
    ~1:47:30... Waiting on official time. I'm probably happier than the lad who came 1st today :D Will do race report later/tomorrow, got a 5 year olds birthday party to run now.

Edit: Chip time 1:47:30 on the button, ecstatic with that result today.

Well done everyone else.

Great running- and good to meet you today with mentors!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It was great to meet so many of you after the race today! Special thanks to ReeReeG and Huzzah! for giving up their morning to support us - those flapjacks were class :)

Lots of very positive results coming through both here and on strava which is great to see. Today should reinforce your belief in the training and give you confidence heading towards DCM! On the other side, don't worry if today didn't go as you hoped - there are always lessons to be learned, particularly on our toughest days. It was a tough course and conditions were very tough too - don't be disheartened.

Anyway, I'm absolutely wrecked.

Recover well! Looking forward to the race reports :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It was great to meet so many of you after the race today! Special thanks to ReeReeG and Huzzah! for giving up their morning to support us - those flapjacks were class :)

Lots of very positive results coming through both here and on strava which is great to see. Today should reinforce your belief in the training and give you confidence heading towards DCM! On the other side, don't worry if today didn't go as you hoped - there are always lessons to be learned, particularly on our toughest days. It was a tough course and conditions were very tough too - don't be disheartened.

Anyway, I'm absolutely wrecked.

Recover well! Looking forward to the race reports :)

Nice result yourself.

Sorry I didn’t get to meet ye. While scoping around the Fm104 truck, I kept saying to the wife “there might be flapjacks, do you see anyone with flapjacks?” She thought it was weird enough that I was looking for internet people in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice result yourself.

Sorry I didn’t get to meet ye. While scoping around the Fm104 truck, I kept saying to the wife “there might be flapjacks, do you see anyone with flapjacks?” She thought it was weird enough that I was looking for internet people in the first place...

Cheers! Yeah it's never easy going over to some randomer asking "are you from boards?" :). Thought I spotted you at one stage but you disappeared into the crowds. Got easier to spot people as time passed and the crowd thinned a touch. Great result yourself - Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi everyone

I missed you at the truck, sorry. I didnt get there until 12:40 so maybe ye were gone anyway, but after looking for a group of people eating flapjacks and asking 2 groups (with no flapjacks) if they were "from boards" I tipped on.

I did an 18m LSR with 5m before the half. It was tough. For a start, there's no way I would have been capable of racing this but also, Mr Guappa you were bang on the money when you shook your head at me doing it at MP - I wouldn't have been able for that either. LSR pace was a struggle at times today.

I know I didn't race but I will do a bit of a run report later all the same as there were a few noteworthy things that I saw along the way today.

It's great to see so many positive tales of PBs today. Well done all!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Haven't posted in here in a while but said I'd give an update after today's half.

I hope everyone had a great run and hopefully it was less eventful than my day.

Have been feeling good about my running over the last few weeks and have felt I was getting back to where I need to be for DCM.

Got to the start line and my legs were just tired before I even started. (Won a month's free personal training through work which I feel is helping my running but made the mistake of going to my last session yesterday morning).

Did the first 4 miles with my friend before I sent him on ahead. By mile 5 I was really feeling it. I probably walked a mile of the remaining 8.1 and was taking it handy in between. Finished in 2:20 which I know is way off what I'm capable of. (I did the first half of DCM 18 in 2:07 with way less training).

Got to the finish line. Got my medal and my goodie bag etc and met my mate. Sat down for a few minutes, chatting etc. Went to stand up and the next thing I remember, I'm lying flat on my back with a handful of people standing over me.

My mate said that as soon as I stood up, I said "I'm gonna pass out, I'm gonna pass out". And that's exactly what happened. I very quickly came to but we all agreed it would be best to be seen by a medic as I was feeling a bit groggy.

The medic checked me over and said my blood sugar was fine but my BP was low. He said I should be ok after a few minutes but if I wanted he could have me brought to the hospital. Opted just to take it easy for a few minutes.

Thankfully I was with my mate who had waited around and he was able to liaise with the steward and the medic etc and contact the wife. Thankfully I had filled out the contact info on the back of the number so that if he wasn't around and it was an emergency, we would have had contact details.

I suppose I'm writing this just to call out how amazing the steward and the medic were, and the few other runners in the vicinity and to stress the importance of filling out the contact information.

Lesson:
    I should not have gone to the gym yesterday.
    I probably went out too fast considering how tired I was.
    Prepare pre race nutrition better (multiple reasons led to my pre race breakfast being a hi-five gel).
    I probably should have stopped and not forced myself to the finish line.
    Press 'Save' on the garmin immediately post-race (D'oh!). Edit: Found and synced.
    Always fill out the the contact information on the back of the number (I always do but this reinforced it).

Taking it easy for a few days and will get back to it during the week.
    Need to be 'smarter' with my prep and training.

Thanks to all the staff and medics and my mate who insured I got looked after!

Jeepers Prospector1989, you poor thing. Hope you feel okay now and take care of yourself over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Well done today folks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Mind yourself, Prospector! Hope you get some rest and recover soon.

I’m absolutely thrilled with my chip time from today 2:16:54. I’ll write a race report later but just wanted to say a massive congrats to everyone out racing today. And I am totally in love with running in the Park now ;)

I looked for flapjacks around the red bus and asked a couple of groups if they were from the Interwebs but no such luck before I had to run off. I’m so sorry I didn’t get to meet you in person but hopefully after the marathon in October?!

Well done again to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

First things first, Prospector, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you feel better over the next few days!
    rizzee wrote: »
    About 5 weeks ago I said I'd aim for under 2:15

Training was going well I said last week I'd go for as close to 2:00 as I could.

Chip time 1:49:41.

Delighted!!!! Race report later

What can I say. Buzzing! Never done a race report before so going to write it down while it's mostly fresh in the head - apologies in advance there will be waffle :D

Up @ 7:00 for a coffee, 1 slice of flat brown bread w/peanut butter and 500ml water. Headed off to collect mates & parked up in the park around 8:30. Got to near the start line shortly after that. Brought another 500ml to sip on along the way, with some glucose powder in it (usual routine)

As I was aiming for around 2:00ish mark, I said I'd go close to the 1:50 pacers and I could drop back if I had to. I was in the middle of the road at 9:15 waiting anxiously for the race to start. I was about 300m back from the blue 1:50 balloons.

I got the watch ready and our wave kicked off just after 9:35.

For the first 5km my mouth was bone dry for some reason & the sun was beaming down. I was convinced by the end of the race my head would be like a tomato!

5:25.7 min/km
    4:56.9
    4:54.6
    5:08.5
    5:07.9

I was cautious to try slow down the pace a little as I didn't want to tire myself out with the hills that were coming. I was running at the edge of the pack, up and off the grass & paths to try stay at a reasonable pace and with the 1:50 pacers in view.

KM 6-10 - I dropped the pace a little but surprisingly I was on the toes of the pacers (?) I was going by my own watch so said I'd keep on the low side of 5.1x/5.2x min/km for the next while.

5:11.6 min/km
    5:16.5
    4:56.9 (!!! , downhill ?)
    5:11.2
    5:11.1

Between KM 9&10 I actually went ahead of the pacers. The hill gave me a boost & I said I could afford to drop the pace later on in the race if necessary.

At the 10km mark I also hit a 10KM PB @ 50:58 (Is that allowed?!) beating my previous 10km pb in Dunshaughlin a few months ago (52:08)

At each water station I was getting two bottles - Drink 3/4 and the rest goes over the head!

The next few KM are a bit of a blur. I remember Tower Hill and keeping an eye on the watch trying to stay in the low 5:xx km/min range

5:08.3 min/km
    5:04.3
    5:24.8
    4:54.4
    5:12.6

The main stretch in the park between 16-17km was a nice boost to keep the pace steady. Was great to see all the friends & family out supporting everyone. The 1:50 pacers had just gone ahead of me now.

Turning towards Popes Cross I could feel the legs tightening up. I looked at the watch and figured out I had around 20 mins to do around 3km in order to get under the 1:50 mark. I didn't know whether my watch was wrong or the pacers were too fast but I said I'd go by the watch and see the chip time at the end.

5:09.7 min/km
    5:11.6
    5:15.1
    4:59.6
    5:38.4

I'm not too sure where the Lucozade stand was but I had x2 of them and x 2 water at that late stage! Note to self : START USING GELS. I took nothing!!

Jesus Christ after passing the DJ for the 2nd time that bloody hill near the end nearly buckled me. I was tempted to stop and walk for a few seconds but I had a new goal: to dig in and get under that 1:50 mark.

Last KM (and a bit :D)

5:21.9 km/minute
    1:06.7 (0.24km)

Crossed the line @ 1:49:48 watch time. Bloody ecstatic. I didn't want to believe it until I got the official chip time.

Grabbed my medal, t-shirt and goodie bag and sat in the grass with friends & waited on another to finish.

I checked the watch again & my ''moving time'' was 1:47:41 - The chip time was also the exact same :D (Love my Forerunner :D)

Soaked up the sun some more (only a little burnt!), did some stretches and headed off home.
    In the door 1:30 and straight for a bath!! Currently waiting on food to be delivered then I think a few pints are in order :)

All in all a brilliant day. Overwhelmed is an understatement. I couldn't have done any of this without the help of all you guys so thanks again!

Only 36 days to go!!! I'll be taking it easy over the next few days and sticking to the plan - just want to finish the 42KM for my first one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Cheers! Yeah it's never easy going over to some randomer asking "are you from boards?" :). Thought I spotted you at one stage but you disappeared into the crowds. Got easier to spot people as time passed and the crowd thinned a touch.

I also skulked around the FM104 truck for a while but didn't pluck up the courage to ask anyone if they were from Boards!

Happy enough with my time of 1:56, will do race report later. Well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Sorry to hear that prospector , glad you are feeling better now. Sometimes we just over do it and it's our body's way of telling us to slow down. Congrats to everyone today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great to see so many positive posts today. Even better to see so many results coming from very smart pacing and digging in when the going gets tough. The absence of kamikaze pacing is a credit to ye all and your mentors. Huge credit to everyone, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Well done today everyone. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Gave myself every chance of 1.50 this week with good diet and bed at 9 and asleep most nights by 10. Got to the line feeling quite nervous but good.

Started strong behind 1.50 pacers and used the first miles to catch them on the down to give myself some wiggle room. I managed to keep it tight through the next 5 or 6 miles then. Made up some time from 9 to 11 I feel. Then last two were tough but delighted with how I got through them. Chip time 1.48.16..i think I could have taken 16 seconds off if I knew!

Changed the face on the garmin this morning for the run, and I recommend it. It was great not tracking the distance or time. There are enough signs for distance without me getting preoccupied. I had the watch show me current pace and average pace. Considering I knew what average pace would get me sub 1.50 I always knew where I stood but could also see when I was pushing it etc. Maybe I'm slow to pick up but I thought it a useful tip so I wasn't tracking 6.1m 6m2.m 6.3m etc.

Also my first medal, and they are better than I thought! Also got the right size t shirt this time so I'm delighted!

Hopefully that time and a strong 2-3 weeks can get me through DCM sub 4.

Well done to all.. Always amazes me seeing all ages, shapes and sizes smash past me during these races!

Advertisement