Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gur

so is there a meeting point for a few beers before the game tomorrow?

matrim wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can bring the pocket wifi and battery pack into the stadium?

I had one in tonight no issue, signal kept dropping tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Gur wrote: »
    I had one in tonight no issue, signal kept dropping tough.

Was there a bag search on the way in or did you have it in your pocket? Want it for whatsapping people before / after the match but worried they will try to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was there a bag search on the way in or did you have it in your pocket? Want it for whatsapping people before / after the match but worried they will try to take it.

There's a search. But it's not that intense. I wouldn't worry.

I was given a plastic bag for my phone so put it in with that, they didn't look at it. I didn't have the battery backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

What’s the deal with bags in the venue? Can you bring in a handbag? Or is it like NFL and only bring what fits in your pockets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Batgurl wrote: »
    What’s the deal with bags in the venue? Can you bring in a handbag? Or is it like NFL and only bring what fits in your pockets?

Yes handbags fine, you just get searched.

A friend has two spare Cat C today if anyone knows anyone looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Just been wandering around Yokohama and randomly met Ireland kicking coach Richie Murphy - sound guy. Had a chat with him, says pitch is rock hard. Anyway, team are staying at Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers. Met Jack Conan too. You forget when watching on TV/ from the stands how huge some of these guys are!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭deezell

Ah ffs! Could you not keep it for the holliers in the canaries?

491392.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 joycer31

Hey, has anyone who was at the game yesterday tell me if there were any tickets for sale around the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Japan is the most technologically advanced society in the world, I wouldn't worry about access to funds

Lol, try working in a Japanese office; you're more likely to get a request to have a document faxed rather than scanned and emailed. Floppy disks were still a feature there until relatively recently also. They're actually slow to adopt lots of technologies, and the fin-tech boom hasn't taken off there at all. If Takahashi Zaibatsu Financial Corp invented something they'd all be using it, but most fin-tech comes from Europe or the US so they'll be a while adjusting. Completely off-topic, but Japan isn't half as innovative as it was during the boom-years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

deezell wrote: »
    [/IMG]

Big Ciaran McManus! No matter where you go in the world, you're always likely to see some lad in an Offaly shirt. I'm sure there was a Mayo one not far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

joycer31 wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone who was at the game yesterday tell me if there were any tickets for sale around the ground?

There were tickets being sold and even one guy was giving his ticket away for free.
    There would have been no issue finding a ticket at yesterday’s game.

Not sure if that will be the same for the japan, bit looks like a lot of Irish had spare tickets with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There were tickets being sold and even one guy was giving his ticket away for free.

Not sure if that will be the same for the japan, bit looks like a lot of Irish had spare tickets with them.

Ya, I’ve been at two matches NZ/Sth Af and Irish game, there were lots of empty seats there. Tickets for Irish match could be bought in Fanzone for cost price before match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think a lot of people lost the plot buying tickets they didn't need. If the stadia weren't full for the 2002 world cup (during de bewm times) they probably won't be for a less global sport.

joycer31 wrote: »

Yup no problem, plenty for sale in the fanzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How much is a seat as a matter of interest?

Cat C tickets yesterday but being sold at cost price so around 117euro, Cat D were selling for 80 euro I think? Someone here will know more than me.

Cat C tickets for say Argentina Tonga this Saturday were cheaper than yesterdays game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

deezell wrote: »

491392.jpg

It always surprises me that people get offended by what other people choose to wear. If you don’t want to wear an Offaly jersey then don’t, but going to the trouble of taking a covert picture and posting it online because you think someone else shouldn’t be is just strange.

Personally I wouldn’t be wearing it, or any of the leprechaun, tricolour kimonos, party costumes that people had on, but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does anyone over there know if there are many non-irish/english pubs showing the matches? I'd be much more interested in watching matches in locals' bars if they're showing them.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Does anyone over there know if there are many non-irish/english pubs showing the matches? I'd be much more interested in watching matches in locals' bars if they're showing them.

I have not seen loads to be honest, the odd one will show it but overall didnt see many at all. We walked past one the other day showing NZ and SA, and it was 1500yen per person cover charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Karioke is far bigger here than Rugby. If you go to a “local” pub, they hardly know the rugby is on. It’s mad, we have walked into pubs with 10 people in them and there is a person belting away on the mike. If you are an oddball coming out here to watch rugby with no tourists, save yourself a lot of money and stay in your sitting room. The crack here is brilliant because there are so many fans from different nations in every pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I have a caregory B ticket spare for the Russia game. PM me if anyone’s interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There's a "bar finder" in the RWC app which will help you find such places. Seems to be a good few

Plenty of empty cat D seats ( behind goals) at the Ireland match. I'd go to some of the other lesser matches as its no problem getting a ticket at the kiosk, but from Tokyo the return fare can be prohibitive. The Russia Samoa match in our pool would be good entertainment for a €19 cat D ticket, but fast train fare from Tokyo is €68 return, 40 min journey. Cheaper fares of about €30 return takes about an hour ten, but either train, you've a 3+ km walk to the stadium or catch a local bus with 12 stops. Stadium well out of town. I'll watch it in pub here in Akasaka. The Italy Canada match worth watching, it would make a good day out, but from Tokyo it'll cost €220 each way for the 5 hour train spin.

It always surprises me that people get offended...
    Why would you think I'm offended? Though you sound a bit alright. Why do you assume I took the picture? I didn't. It was posted elsewhere. Get a sense of humour, this is boards, not not Facepuke, it's history in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Brozy wrote: »
    For people out there already, how are you finding the ATMs?

I upgraded to Revolut premium there as it is mastercard instead of visa. Hopefully it arrives this week as I leave on Friday.

Is it better to have MasterCard than Visa in Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

arrowman wrote: »
    Is it better to have MasterCard than Visa in Japan?

I'm not sure TBH. I was just going on what people were experiencing over in Japan.

For anyone interested, I ordered the Revolut premium card on Saturday, it was dispatched yesterday and delivered to me in work this morning.

It comes with travel insurance (not really sure how good) and a few other perks, so was worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

We're still on the hunt for final tickets. I've seen one person here having luck with the resale site. Anyone else?

I was reading on another forum that the site inventory seems to be refreshed between 9.30am-11am or so Tokyo time on weekdays. Which is 1.30am-3am GMT, not so brilliant when you're still here in Ireland doing the 9-5. :)

Advertisement