Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    macslash wrote: »
    Looking forward to it. Hoping to bring herself but don't have a ticket for her. Could ya pay in at gate I wonder??

Would say you definitely can but tickets are available online now too. They might be a few euro cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Redo91 wrote: »
    Anyone else still waiting on their season ticket?

Got mine last month but this is fairly common. They'll send you over a PDF for the Munster game if it doesn't come this week.

Mul, it's over
    Scarlets lost to Dragons at the weekend and apparently played terrible. Should be a good opportunity in the first game with so many World Cup absences and new coach still settling in.

Of course Connacht had a similar chance against a depleted Ospreys last November and turned in one of the worst performances of the season.

Mul, it's over
    Marmion back with Connacht this week after last week off, will come off bench this weekend against Munster with Blade starting. Conor Dean set to start at ten. Interesting one that given he didn’t play in France or Russia, did look very good for Eagles last week. Hope it’s giving him a chance and not due to Horwitz/Fitzgerald picking up knocks.

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/110265/marmion-to-feature-for-connacht-against-munster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    New European and away jerseys launched. Both very nice. I'd love if they kept them for two years now, not a fan of changing every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Anyone at the kit launch thing in Elverys last night hear anything interesting?

The Friend Zone
    Gallagher and dean noticeable players missing from the eagles team, could be involved with the seniors against Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Gallagher and dean noticeable players missing from the eagles team, could be involved with the seniors against Munster?

Dean is starting per the post with the piece from the Advertiser

Mul, it's over
    Anyone at the kit launch thing in Elverys last night hear anything interesting?

Did you hear something interesting?!

The Friend Zone
    macslash wrote: »
    Did you hear something interesting?!

Nope couldn’t make it, just wondering what went on haha

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over

Nope couldn’t make it, just wondering what went on haha

Same. I was too late applying for the ticket.

You got my hopes there of some random signing haha

Mul, it's over
    https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1175002785726832640?s=21

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-announce-squad-for-final-preseason-fixture-against-munster/

No Horwitz on team or bench looks like he is injured.

Strong team though, should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

No sign of Leader. Is he injured?

Would have definitely said roux and Thornbury are Connacht's best second row with Dillane benching. Considering Dillane was closest to the Irish team that may be considered an unusual viewpoint and maybe I will be proven wrong in time

Mul, it's over
    Was thinking same about Leader, would have him ahead of John Porch at this stage anyway. Also unusual to see Jonny Murphy on the bench, thought he was just getting a chance in Moscow but Heffernan and Delahunt must both be injured.

Second rows are a bit like Ireland centres, rarely fit together. Thought Dillane was much improved last season, he had some difficulties after breaking through in such an impressive way at 22 or whatever it was but think he still has the chance to fulfill massive potential. Good problem to have though.

Looks like Conor Fitzgerald will be first choice in Cartys absence. Nigel Carolan and Jarrad Butler talking him up at the league launch this week.

https://www.the42.ie/conor-fitzgerald-connacht-4815627-Sep2019/

Another win for eagles tonight, anyone at the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Free scarf, fixture list and a magnet with the season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Thornbury and Roux would also be my preferred second row partnership, but Dillane absolutely has the ability to force the issue. If Leader and O'Halloran continue on their current trajectories I can see Leader grabbing the 15 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

“He’s got a really useful skillset and he has grown, not only physically, but is maturing very well. I think he is going to be one of our bright sparks this year. He might even challenge Jack when he comes back from the World Cup.”

Wow, huge optimism about Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    Any updates from the game guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »

Connacht won 40-31

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    testtech05 wrote: »

Connacht the much better team, felt score line flattered Munster really who were ridiculously ill disciplined and sloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Connacht dominated first half should have been much further ahead. Conor Fitzgerald looked good, one bad effort at kicking to touch from a penalty aside, just went straight down pitch so he obviously just completely mis-hit it. His goalkicking was very good. Blade and Marmion both looked sharp, fair f**ks to Marmion, be easy to put head down.

First half try conceded was very soft. Peter Robb got a nice try, if he could get a break from injuries, it would be a big help. Thought Kyle Godwin looked very good, given how good he was at start of last season when guys coming from Super Rugby often struggle, he could really have an excellent season.

Jonny Murphy came on and off in about 15 mins in the second half, presumably with injury, if Heffernan and Delahunt are also injured, Tierney Martin could get an early chance next week.

Squad looks strong overall, maybe slight concerns about prop depth and back three depth, given De Buitléar is out for most of season and Porch is probably going to need some time to get up to speed to 15s. Think it will be a really good season.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Connacht dominated first half should have been much further ahead. Conor Fitzgerald looked good, one bad effort at kicking to touch from a penalty aside, just went straight down pitch so he obviously just completely mis-hit it. His goalkicking was very good. Blade and Marmion both looked sharp, fair f**ks to Marmion, be easy to put head down.

First half try conceded was very soft. Peter Robb got a nice try, if he could get a break from injuries, it would be a big help. Thought Kyle Godwin looked very good, given how good he was at start of last season when guys coming from Super Rugby often struggle, he could really have an excellent season.

Jonny Murphy came on and off in about 15 mins in the second half, presumably with injury, if Heffernan and Delahunt are also injured, Tierney Martin could get an early chance next week.

Squad looks strong overall, maybe slight concerns about prop depth and back three depth, given De Buitléar is out for most of season and Porch is probably going to need some time to get up to speed to 15s. Think it will be a really good season.

I know it was a warm-up game but soft trys have always been Connacht's achilles heel. That said it was a good performance in general. Conor Fitzgerald was not shabby which was a worry with Jack away. Tiernan seemed to have a bit of his mojo back and Gavin Thornbury was immense

The Friend Zone
    A lot of rustiness in the first half, Connacht came out in the second half like a train. Thought toh, Godwin and conor Fitzgerald looked particularly good. Stephan Fitzgerald will be an important player this season, can see him being first choice back three. Butler and faingaa are brilliant but still feel a big bast*rd of a ball carrier could go with them in the back row

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

A lot of rustiness in the first half, Connacht came out in the second half like a train. Thought toh, Godwin and conor Fitzgerald looked particularly good. Stephan Fitzgerald will be an important player this season, can see him being first choice back three. Butler and faingaa are brilliant but still feel a big bast*rd of a ball carrier could go with them in the back row

Have agreed about this for long, but SOB is close to be fully back and would do this job !

It was an important game for one reason to me. It was a very strong Connacht. But could Conor Fitzgerald stand up and be counted. And he did just that which allayed fears I had. So I think it will be a good year for Connacht

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Have agreed about this for long, but SOB is close to be fully back and would do this job !

Love SOB think he’s an absolutely smashing player and a work horse but he’s not a ball carrying 8. He’s more in the Ruddock role. I’d be looking for a more billy V. Or mata from Edinburgh style

Mul, it's over
    Delighted with the performance. I didn't think there was any player really that didn't aquit themselves well. Props and replacement were solid, I was very happy with Paddy Mac. Hopefully he can stay fit. Thought Tom was good. Thornbury was a collosus and it was great to see Quinn out playing again. Back row was very steady. Colby is such a clever player. Blade was his usual self and Marms when he came on was electric. Delighted for him. Conor Fitz kicking from tee was unreal. Couldn't appreciate the kicks properly as was on mainstand side but with that wind they were very good. Conor Dean has lovely hands, seemed a bit nervous which can be expected. Back three were good, TOH looked lively which is a huge plus. I thought Porch when he came on did well. Some lovely hands and his positioning seems a good bit better than before. Tom and Kyle were very good, and like a previous poster said Robb will be a huge addition if he can stay healthy. The man is a tank, with lovely feet and hands.

A few negative for me was Murphy getting injured (I presume), and I didn't think Ultan was super when he came on. Tries conceded were soft and again our inability to hammer home man advantage showed it's ugly face.
    I would also love a big bruiser of a back row. That Russian 6 yesterday was very impressive and I heard the commentary say he's unattached?? I wonder will we chance anyone after seeing them in the world cup? Wasn't that how we got AJ four years ago.

Also one other thing. The speaker system is still a joke. I know it's not even day 1 yet but it's so dated. And the scoreboard is cat too. Second half timer hadn't even started and we had our 1st try of the half scored. Pitch looked great though. Such a pity we have to lose it.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Hope Bundee is okay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement