Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How be happy...single..never find love

• 13-09-2019 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

As the title says. Is it possible to be happy if you're single?
    I've never had a relationship in my life (i'm 30)& just feel like it will never happen at this stage.
    I always feel there's something missing & wonder if i will ever just be happy the way i am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You just have to accept your lot in life OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

I'm single and love it. I have been married, was with my ex over a decade but I'm pretty sure I'm meant to be single, it suits me best.

I disagree that you have to accept your lot, people find love at all ages. You need to love yourself though, I'm a strong believer that until you do, nobody can love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’m not saying give up, I’m saying accept being single. Stop trying not to be single.
    You never know what might happen at any time. Or nothing might ever happen.
    Stop waiting for something that might never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

karen29070 wrote: »
    I've never had a relationship in my life (i'm 30)& just feel like it will never happen at this stage.
    I always feel there's something missing & wonder if i will ever just be happy the way i am

Of course it's possible. Why are you not happy right now? Is it because you lack companionship and someone to care about you (which is a normal reason to want a partner) or is it that you feel abnormal because society says you're 'supposed' to have a partner?

I know plenty of people who are single and love it. They simply aren't relationship people. They like their solitude, they like lots of time alone, they like to be able to hang out with whoever they feel like, they aren't bothered about having kids or a family. I personally prefer being in a good relationship over being single, but there are still SO many advantages to being single.

I would start by asking myself WHY you feel there is something missing...if it's a genuine desire for a relationship to improve your life, if it's because you're missing other things like friends, hobbies, goals, or if it's social pressure to be in a relationship. Starting there would be good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Caranica wrote: »
    I disagree that you have to accept your lot, people find love at all ages. You need to love yourself though, I'm a strong believer that until you do, nobody can love you.

Very much agree with this. It was RuPaul who put it well when she said "If you can't love yourself, how the hell do you expect to love anyone else?"

Remember also that your emotions will tint your experience of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

The problem is not you accepting it, the problem seems to be you not thinking it will happen. Two very different things. If you want to be single and don’t want a relationship then it is easier to accept and be happy with it. Why do you feel it won’t happen? Life is not a text book, things happen in many ways, shapes and forms at no particular time. Why do you think you’re not capable of having a relationship? I’m not saying you’re not capable, I think you are though, and that’s a question you need to interrogate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hi Op.
    Is your life "full" (apart from not having a partner)
    Do you have a good work-life balance?
    Are you close with your siblings and their families?
    Are you involved with any clubs or organisations?
    Do you have a pet?

If any of those areas are lacking you'll probably feel pretty lonely at times especially seeing your friends coupling up & there'll be a lot of it over the next few years.

If your life is full you don't need to worry about being single.

If your life is missing something, well it's not necessarily a man that you're missing. You probably need to do some work on yourself. Maybe you're dedicating all your energy to a job that doesn't fulfil you and you're just tired in the evening?

That doesn't mean you shouldn't be in a relationship. Most people with few exceptions should actively seek to be in a relationship because it's better for their health. It doesn't have to be a serious relationship either, dating can work out well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Yes, it is possible to happy and content and single

After a very gruesome break up at age 34, I swore off relationships, got in to fitness, decided life was pretty great without having someone else in the picture who had the power to destroy me.

2 years later, without any real intent I dabbled in a bit of Tinder.

I had used it before and largely went on dates looking for a boyfriend, wanting guys to like me and trying to be the perfect person when I went on dates.

This time tho, I wanted them to impress me, I needed them to convince me that they were worthy of me parting with my new independent life. I only went on dates with 2 different guys, I'm 38 now and living with the second one, blissfully happy and hoping to start a family soon.
    He treats me so much better than any guy I ever dated before.

What I mean is, your attitide needs to be changed, until you value yourself as your own person, and fully acknowledge all the fab things you will bring to a relationship if some guy/girl is lucky enough to grab your attention. It just won't happen, or it won't happen in the way you would like.

30 is really young, you've loads of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm 41 and have never been in a relationship and am a bit further down the line than the OP coming to terms with being alone. At this age, would a woman think there's something wrong with me not having been in a relationship before now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'm 41 and have never been in a relationship and am a bit further down the line than the OP coming to terms with being alone. At this age, would a woman think there's something wrong with me not having been in a relationship before now?

I think you should start your own thread.
    "would a woman think there's something wrong with me".. At 41 and you're still caring what people think about you? Mistake #1.
    If you want to date, date. Use dates as an opportunity to find out what women are looking for and also if you're compatible. But sitting around wondering if people think you're strange is a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Personally at that age I'd be more wary if you had a string of broken relationships, one night stands etc behind you as it screams player!

It's not something I'd mention as soon as introductions are made either though.

While I might be wary if I felt a connection it's not something that would overly worry me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

The answer is 100% yes as feeling happy is not dependent on having a boyfriend or even your circumstances, regardless of what they are.

'Being happy' is not a fixed state either, you feel happy at times and a whole range of other emotions at other times. This happens regardless of whether you're single or not, as again it's not dependent on your circumstances (despite what we've all grown up to believe!).

Society, the movies, etc, would have us believe that we need someone to 'complete us'. This is not true, and deep down we know it.

Just live your life, and enjoy it :) Date if you want, and if you don't want to, that's ok too.

If you meet someone, you meet someone. If you don't, you don't, and that's ok too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My sister didn't have a relationship until she was thirty five, she is a professional living in Dublin and is now engaged to a fellow professional, through sheer bad luck,some people miss out for a very long time, no reasons why, just happens

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No, you don't need to tell them anyway, if things get serious, she won't care about something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    My sister didn't have a relationship until she was thirty five, she is a professional living in Dublin and is now engaged to a fellow professional, through sheer bad luck,some people miss out for a very long time, no reasons why, just happens

Through sheer good luck, some people remain single for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

In my view there are a very small few who are truly content on their own, and if you were part of that tiny minority you'd probably know it by now. I could quote all the cliches that have ever been written such as "what's meant for you won't pass you by" but I'd wager that's not much good to you. What I will say is I had my first relationship at a similar age to you, and it really did come when I least expected it.
    I can't really put it down to any one reason, it was never a lack of options, but I suppose I was cynical due to all the cheating and falseness that goes on. I was also probably afraid, because it's tough to open up your heart and leave yourself that bare and vulnerable.
    The only I advice I can give without any hesitation is don't just settle, being single is infinitely better than tolerating a partner because society says you shouldn't be single.
    I'm far from a romantic, but the missus makes the most mundane activities fun, exciting and memorable. I hope you find someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would also say there are very few who are truly content with their partners

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I don't know if anybody thinks along a similar vein but there seem to be people who'd find a relationship standing at a bus stop, they'd find it as difficult to remain single as the perpetually single find it difficult to find a relationship. Their personalities just seem to operate on a level where that side of life is a piece of piss.

Barring some miracle whereupon I do meet someone and some sort of mutual brain melt occurs then I'm resigned to dying unmarried and childless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

dd973 wrote: »
    I don't know if anybody thinks along a similar vein but there seem to be people who'd find a relationship standing at a bus stop, they'd find it as difficult to remain single as the perpetually single find it difficult to find a relationship. Their personalities just seem to operate on a level where that side of life is a piece of piss.

Barring some miracle whereupon I do meet someone and some sort of mutual brain melt occurs then I'm resigned to dying unmarried and childless.

You know how people say it's easier to get a job when you already have a job? I honestly think it's the same with relationships.

I never get as much interest as when I'm already with someone. I dated my first boyfriend for 2 years and literally the day after it ended, a friend/acquaintance confessed his feelings for me and we started dating. I think you do get into some kind of relationship mode which makes it easy to jump from one to another.

When you're single for any length of time, it seems to change your thinking and way of doing things. I've become very set in my ways and very used to my own space, and the same as been true for long term single men I've dated. It feels a lot harder to 'mesh'. It feels a lot harder to go beyond the first few dates and a superficial relationship. IMO people who are just out of a relationship (or still in one but fishing for the next branch so they don't have to be alone) are in the relationship 'flow' and all that changes is the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Firstly single people can be happy the same way people in relationships can be unhappy. Also it can make someone who is single feel worse when well meaning friends or acquaintances tell them anecdotes of a friend if a friens who was single for years and just got engaged or something similar.

If you want a relationship then you have to work on it. It won't just happen. If you want to find dates it is quite easy and many different avenues.

If you don't want a relationship then you need to also work on it to be happy. Hobbies Can be taken up. Travel is great and plenty of singles trips.

Also simply being happy requires work. If you feel down because you are single then you won't just be hsppy. Recommend mindfulness or some sort of relaxation exercises.

And it's the little things that make the difference. I recently got Spotify and bought good headphones. I was on the bus last week and was listening to a song I hadn't heard in decades. Then realised I had a big smile on my face. Great feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Just become hyper aware of yourself, like be really mindful of your own thinking and actions. What I mean by that is, if you find someone attractive, how do you act around that person? Do you shut down? Tune in to what youre thinking in that situation because unbeknownst to yourself, you may be taking yourself out of the game, so to speak. You could be keeping your cards too close to your chest and shutting down any kind of sexual tension. So many people do this, and they often claim to be looking for a relationship, but in reality the hide their interest and intentions from anyone. Plus they are uncomfortable with sexual tension. Maybe its social conditioning, but the most successful people I know, relationship wise, are people who are very at ease with their sexuality. They know how to communicate interest without even saying a word. Its all about non-verbal communication and being at peace with your own sexual feelings and then letting someone you fancy know those feelings. Even without saying a thing. Its actually ridiculously easy to do, people think you have to say the right things........you dont. You just need to be at peace with yourself and be comfortable with sexual tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes. perfectly possible to be happy single!

I am. Old now, and always single.

No need to say more!

except that love is not limited to relationships. In fact it is sometimes limited BY relationships. Being single, celibate, leaves freedom to love more in different ways.

I had no idea this was still an issue these days. When I was 21. my uncle gave me a present tied up with many yards of rough string. " To catch a man with". ie I was still... single etc and that was not the norm then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Cultural/societal conditioning still places far too much emphasis on "finding the one-having children". Personally I revel in the freedom of having no responsibilities to anybody but myself. We only have one life that we know of so why waste it with somebody you are perhaps only with to appear "normal" to others. My companionship with my cat sustains me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

OP 30 is so young and it's definitely not just you in that situation. I know from experience it can seem like it cant happen or it's not on the cards for you when it hasn't happened at that stage (I was 35!). You're telling yourself your race is run already and it hasn't even started.
    Yep you can be happy solo, I was at times and at other periods feeling a bit bewildered and hopeless.
    There are benefits of not having earlier bad relationship experiences to bring into a future relationship too. You're not scarred, you know yourself well enough as in individual to know whats right and not right, not acceptable for you.

So maybe avoid black and white thinking for now i.e. that it cant happen because it didn't already. Do a few things you want to do for you.
    Decide to keep an open mind on dating and when you're feeling a bit resilient try some online dating. Write a very specific profile being explicit about what you're not interested in, that'll weed out those wasting your time (you might get some hate mail about it but sure don't mind that). When you arrange meet ups arrange something activity based, it'll take pressure off and allow you to be interesting 'you' in your zone. Having changed a few dates that went awry (boring/ absolutely no physical attraction despite good messaging/ users) you'll gradually figure it out and increase your chances of a jackpot strike! Don't label anyone as perfect for you too soon or be annoyed if they suddenly disappear. In any of those cases you're better off.

Overall, far too soon to write yourself off. It most likely hasn't been your time yet....but maybe you have it all to look forward to??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

also life is not static. It is a progression. a growing, a learning. Not set in stone. I am and think and feel very differently from that 21 year old. relationships have many forms.

we were a threesome at school , my friends and I. Then? One got pregnant unmarried. one got m arried but never any children. and I never married. We stayed friends until distance etc took its toll.

enjoy where you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Xraymond

Yes you can be happy the way you are. This sounds like bull, but be true to yourself. Don't to what I did and think a bad relationship was better than none .
    I'm not going to derail your thread but work on bettering yourself ,as in, do the things you love or find something you enjoy. And keep your keep your eyes open as sometimes a good thing is right in front of you if you look . Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 karen29070

Hi everyone thanks a million for all the advice.
    I will say i've had a lot of issues with accepting myself & loving myself first etc but i've been working on myself for a long time now & i am in a much better place.
    I'm on tinder & pof on & off the last 2 years. Maybe my attitude is **** now as i don't believe anything will happen for me. I mean i do get a lot of likes on tinder etc but no one suggests meeting & i very rarely get a message. I just don't know where to go to meet men. My interests are mainly dogs & football :). I have been thinking of trying a dating agency but cannot afford it at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm single, female and in my 30s too. I used to look at it the same way you did but then some thing clicked and changed my outlook.

I'd love to meet someone but I have built a life that means I'm happy even if I don't. Took up more activities, made a greater effort with friends and adding to my social circle.

In means that I'm now more chilled out when I might someone and don't get invested so quickly either. Still haven't found the right guy but definitely had more dates.

We could all have a partner in the morning if we wanted but there's no point if it's not the right person. If he comes along great, if not life is good being single anyway. Maybe trying looking at it that way, and the need to find a partner will reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I am a male, in my late 40's and I have been single for 9 years. During the past 3 years, I have been battling cancer and because of this, I have not been seriously looking for anyone. Last week I was told I am in remission and I am ready to start dating again.

It would be great to meet someone but if I don't that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I definitely know of more of my peer's long term relationships/marriages that have broken down/cheating than lasted the course, yet another reason that's keeping me single.

Advertisement