Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I know two Dublin Port Coxwains and they don't speak well of their boats at all, they are very much looking forward to new and more reliable craft. I have only ever been on one of the commercial angling boats and the deck had delaminated in a large part of the after-deck area.

All academic however as these are not mil-spec vessels in any form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

sparky42 wrote: »
    I

Also I see the Beckett is being sent to New York as "part of the UN bid"...Why?
    It's called showing the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

roundymac wrote: »
    It's called showing the flag.

To New York and Boston and then back again? Given the stated purpose is to help the UN seat bid I'm more than a bit doubtful that Beckett would make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd hold off on the Arrowheads until we see if they can actually meet the costs/specs/time of the contract, along with the point that so much of it wouldn't be spec'd in an Irish ship and the minor fact that it's at least 2.5 times what may have been budgeted for the EPV.

As for upgrading the 60's, arguable if we were doing more out of EEZ operations in potential threat zones replacing the manned secondaries with remotes that also had some missile capability might be worth a look, but given that's unlikely right now it's not going to happen.

Party venue. No more, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Gunboat diplomacy.

Ba dum tish...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

To New York and Boston and then back again? Given the stated purpose is to help the UN seat bid I'm more than a bit doubtful that Beckett would make much difference.

Functions I presume.

Its still great to have a P60 ship cross the pond.

It doesn't really tally with the climate change theme of the Taoiseach's scheduled speech to the General Assembly, having a naval ship sail 5,000kms for nothing more than a photo op and a party venue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It doesn't really tally with the climate change theme of the Taoiseach's scheduled speech to the General Assembly, having a naval ship sail 5,000kms for nothing more than a photo op and a party venue.
    Yer one that sailed across had to have another crew flown across to sail the boat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Yer one that sailed across had to have another crew flown across to sail the boat back.

show evidence

Savage93 wrote: »
    show evidence

Der Spiegel published the story, they are amongst Europe's most highly regarded investigative journalism titles.

By the way, it occurs to me I was wrong about the 5,000 kms for the Beckett, it has to come back too, so make it 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Der Spiegel published the story, they are amongst Europe's most highly regarded investigative journalism titles.

By the way, it occurs to me I was wrong about the 5,000 kms for the Beckett, it has to come back too, so make it 10.

Show evidence !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Show evidence !!!!!

What that the beckett has to come back?? .... Well, unless it's being left there permanently....
    Seems a bit ott...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Show evidence !!!!!

Not being either a journalist with Der Spiegel or the travel agent of the relief crew, I have nothing to declare expect my genius.

And also to tell you to feel free to google it thyself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Just checked position of Beckett. Still moored close by Manhattan Bridge in New York. Might get me son who lives close by there to go down and have a butcher's at her. Might be that they are having a few "open days" for the public

She's going to have an Open Day on Sunday

Cheers bud!

I see that exercise Joint Warrier is kicking off in the next couple of days offshore Scotland with 19 nations participating. Surprised our boys havent sent one of the P60's along to do a bit of live firing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I see that exercise Joint Warrier is kicking off in the next couple of days offshore Scotland with 19 nations participating. Surprised our boys havent sent one of the P60's along to do a bit of live firing etc.

would it be usual for us to send ships to partake in NATO exercises?

Other non NATO nations taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Johnny your proposal would give a lot of politicians an absolute dose of the vapours.

• Advertisement

would it be usual for us to send ships to partake in NATO exercises?

We've been invited before but Finance or Defence always makes sure to kill it off.

Shame on them! Good opportunity for our lads to fly the flag and do some useful training with other navies.

Shame on them! Good opportunity for our lads to fly the flag and do some useful training with other navies.
    No different than any other time, thing we had a chance to send a couple of 139's to some EU exercises a few years ago but that got killed off.

Can you imagine PBP Brid Smith's reaction to it, spending money on it instead of her constitunts.:mad:

Can you imagine PBP Brid Smith's reaction to it, spending money on it instead of her constitunts.:mad:

Same fecking problem as ever for the DF...
    I mean just wait until the price tag for the Eithne Replacement comes up... "why do we need a new ship, just keep using Eithne, it's so much cheaper!"

I truly wish this country could have a grown up discussion about Defence, particularly with the relationship with the UK going into the crapper.

I see Beckett's visit to Boston is going well with about 2500 people already having done tours and the Boston Mayor declaring it "LE Samuel Beckett Day"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Any sign of the ships going back to sea or will they be tied up for the rest of the year?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Any sign of the ships going back to sea or will they be tied up for the rest of the year?

Given an article in the Examiner was talking about concerns that more issues will happen if there's anymore engineering losses suggests no they aren't going back to sea this year.

Eithne's just entered dry dock at Rushbrooke, one of the P50s is nearlt ready to be handed back to the Navy.

• Advertisement

Eithne's just entered dry dock at Rushbrooke, one of the P50s is nearlt ready to be handed back to the Navy.
    Thought the P50 wasn't due back till closer to Christmas?

Advertisement