Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Zzippy wrote: »
    Dublin have more clubs and players than a heap of counties combined. GAA funding is aimed at getting more kids playing the game, it makes sense to target the areas where return on investment will be greatest.
    That aside, Dublin put in place their own structures to develop the best talent many years before other counties and are reaping the rewards now. That system predates the increase in funding. The main advantage, though, is having all their players based locally and able to train together 5 times a week or more.
    These things are cyclical, there just happens to be a great bunch of players at the moment teamed with superb management and a support system (funded locally) that facilitates excellence. Kerry are a coming team that I believe will knock the Dubs off their perch within the next two years and have the potential to win multiple titles.
    As for today, up the Dubs!

Funding has clearly played a massive part, that’s why the increase in standards has been seen in juvenile success, women’s football, hurling, etc. It’s not coincidental these are all happening fifteen to twenty years after a massive disparity in funding was created.

Cyclical? Half their team has changed since the first of the five in a row. This isn’t one outstanding group like Kerry 78-82 or Kilkenny a decade ago. This is a production line constantly churning out talent. It’s not going to stop.

Kerry are a serious team for so young and they will likely win one or two but the decades to come will be the same as this decade - Dublin domination.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gareth Thomas has now revealed he is HIV positive before it being outed in the press.

That man has no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Stheno wrote: »
    Gareth Thomas has now revealed he is HIV positive before it being outed in the press.

That man has no luck

It’s good that he opened up about this but it’s absolutely disgusting that he was forced to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

His timeline this season has been:

1. Arrives at OTAs in a helicopter
    2. Throws a fit and storms out of OTAs because of his helmet being banned under the new regulations, tries to paint it to look the same as the legal ones but gets caught and once again goes ballistic.
    3. After the summer break, misses the start of training camp due to having frostbite from cryotherapy.
    4. Season opener rolls around, but he gets suspended for fighting with the GM and threatening to punch him in the face.
    5. Suspension gets rolled back, but Brown then posts a video of Gruden his coach calling him asking to stop the drama and just play football on social media.
    6. Brown then posts on Instagram saying "Release me", which the raiders do and he forfeits $30M in guaranteed money.
    7. Patriots swoop in and sign him as a free agent.

It's genuinely one of the craziest stories in NFL history, and to think he was on the same team as Richie Incognito and made him look like a sane person in comparison.

Antonio Browns been dropped by Nike as an athlete and cut by the Patriots on the back of sexual assault allegations.

Just when you thought it was over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jo-amp-kids-fundraising?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Guys would you please help with this one. A small donation and/or sharing on social media platforms if you could.

This man felt sick this last couple of weeks. Went to hospital on Tuesday, was diagnosed with terminal cancer on Wednesday and died on Thursday.
    His daughter is in my youngest daughter's class at school. To say the family is heartbroken is an understatement. The class, teachers and school are in shock. He was the main breadwinner in the house and I'm sure you can all appreciate the difficulties that lie ahead in the future.
    Thanks in advance everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Greta Thunberg thread is deranged. In different posts I've read that she's actually a 40 year old crisis actor, a puppet for the Illuminati and/or a scam artist. Not all of these posts are trolls either.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    The Greta Thunberg thread is deranged. In different posts I've read that she's actually a 40 year old crisis actor, a puppet for the Illuminati and/ or a scam artist. Not all of these posts are trolls either.

its amazing how a 16yo teenage girl can get so many people "triggered"....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

John Delaney finally resigned. Great news for Irish sport, no doubt there'll be a hefty payout and a lovely pension involved, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You'd have to wonder what news is coming out shortly that precipiated this. Good day for it too.

You'd have to wonder what news is coming out shortly that precipiated this. Good day for it too.

Announced late Saturday night, papers tomorrow will be already printed with headlines about the Japan loss, and the FAI confirming they'll abide by pension obligations. Definitely something big about to hit that he got ahead of in order to keep the pension.

• This place is tough when Ireland are playing. So many people wanting to rant and looking for a fight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This place is tough when Ireland are playing. So many people wanting to rant and looking for a fight.

I feel for the mods tbh. The provincial threads are actually pretty enjoyable at times like this tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Are there more awful people now in the world?

Or do awful people now use the Internet more?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Neil3030 wrote: »

Anonymity leads to extremes.

Therefore opinions are offered as hyberbolic mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The extreme’s and extremists were always there, social media has just allowed them a very vocal access to the world. New media and the push for online content panders to this. Allowing extremists from both sides to control the narrative, pretending to be journalists. With both sides criticizing the middle ground, who have become quieter. I don’t think the make-up has changed, there have always been those kind of people out there. We just didn’t get to hear them.

Nah just the ones who were hiding in plain sight have a platform now to listen to other arseholes spew the same bullshít.

But is wider access to these viewpoints courting the previously ambivalent? I mean.... Brexit? Trump?

This is strangely addictive; a live feed to Brooks Falls, a spot in Kitmai National Park in Alaska, where brown bears congregate to gorge on salmon before hibernating.

My favourite bear is probably the aptly named "747":

7oRR54QXREy8mpbXmTrlnrAndD4T7fTeAEQZ1Cn0.jpeg

Although Lefty is also an absolute unit:

5d97a68923f8641cbc7ece23?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp

The park run a "fat bear week" every autumn, and it's worth keeping track of, via their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KatmaiNPP/

EFPzOQlU4AA_3_8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

But is wider access to these viewpoints courting the previously ambivalent? I mean.... Brexit? Trump?

Yes. We live in a post truth world where people get their "facts" from their own silos.

Politics is broken because whereas before, people argued over policy, now they argue over facts.

OK folks, Fat Bear week has reached the semi final stage, where we have:

747 vs Lefty today
    Holly vs Grazer tomorrow

Voting is done via the Katmai Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ah, Neil, this is the **** I come to the Off Topic thread for. Excellent stuff.

Semi final 1 over. Lefty in with the win.
    775 Lefty leaped ahead of 747 to lance the inflated giant's hopes of a win. 775 Lefty lunges on to the finals. Which female fatty will he face? Will it be the humongous Holly or the gargantuan Grazer? Only you can decide.

I reckon that belly flop got him a lot of votes.

Win or lose, 747 will always be the GOAT to me.

When a man needs to dig a hole for his belly when napping, dammit all you can do is respect him.

• Excellent

Holly is absolutely crushing Grazer today. She may well win the final too. Serious performance from the woman:

71724315_2746333042058143_3825756184929894400_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQkyZP6IwC_r7C3iNnt7R7sPg55Jcd7atd5WJrwCTE8Ryjzf-xH4PNiowaRJlvy1qWk&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=bfb052064253e58e7b03629ad464843a&oe=5E214600

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm loving the grizzly updates. Are any bookies offering odds? I feel like we have an inside track with Neil...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Holly had a good summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Win or lose, 747 will always be the GOAT to me.

When a man needs to dig a hole for his belly when napping, dammit all you can do is respect him.

This makes me want to come back as a bear in my next life. Fishing, swimming, napping in the sun. Being fat and lazy. And of course, ****ting in the woods. Great life.

• Advertisement

What's happening in the RWC by the way?

Been too busy with the bears to give it much attention...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement