Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LPGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thanks. Why are are there so many top players missing?

Most of the top ladies players are Asian and the Solheim cup is America Vs Europe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Van Dam can get it out there to 320 but yeah she's very much the exception. On a shorter course I'd fancy one of the Asians to be able to make a cut.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah, maybe a course like Crans Sur Sierre or comparable would give them a chance for sure. It would be fun to see someone try again, Wie was the last i think but that was all hype. I remember Sorenstam giving it a good rattle before that. Trouble for the females is, once you go over 450 yards, most of them will be hitting woods for their approaches and that makes it tough. I love watching Inbee Park, such a lovely languid style, she's one of top females but her average driving distance is 250 yards. Lexi Thompson would probably be the one with the best chance of competing.

Tuning in and out today, very interestingly poised. Hall v Thompson has been a great scrap. Think europe experience will just about nose them home, but looks like could go right down to the wire.

Has Ireland ever had anyone on a solheim cup team?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Pretty sure not, remember one decent irish pro from a few years back but cant recall her name off hand. We'll have 2 next time round though!

You know they're under pressure when they're not conceding 8 inch putts!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pretty sure not, remember one decent irish pro from a few years back but cant recall her name off hand. We'll have 2 next time round though!

Who will we have next time?

You know they're under pressure when they're not conceding 8 inch putts!

And they then spend 30 seconds plum bobbing said putt :confused:

fullstop wrote: »
    Who will we have next time?

Leona Maguire and Stephanie Meadow. It's an optimistic it must be said! You'd be happy with one making it, more likely Maguire.

• Advertisement

Leona Maguire and Stephanie Meadow. It's an optimistic it must be said! You'd be happy with one making it, more likely Maguire.

Very optimistic I’d have to say. Hopefully one of them will get in.

Well, its optimistic on the basis that Maguire likely has the talent and can hit the ground running when she gets on the lpga next year. And the bar for europe qualifying isn't exactly sky high: Caroline Hedwall and Anne van Dam were both automatic picks and ranked 93 and 116 in the world respectively. Though she slipped a bit recently, Maguire was ranked inside top 200 a short while back, so i dont think its all that much a leap for her to get well into contention. Have to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That is some story. What a finish

Unbelievable...just incredible. What a match!

That was brilliant. Couldn’t see them winning after Hull and Van Dam matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

There is just something beautiful about the Solheim and the Ryder cup.

Give me those two competitions over any other.

The whole thing just swung so many times over the course of the day, thought europe were getting on top earlier, then us had it in the bag. Then all change with 2 putts within seconds of each other. Americans will be sick, but contributed to absolutely great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭blackcard

Fabulous entertainment. 5 matches ended on the 18th, another 4 on the 17th. So many swings during the day until the US looked like sealing it at the end. Huge pressure on that last putt.

Law was so clutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rikand wrote: »
    Law was so clutch!

Thought it was gone when she didn't get out of the bunker on 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I watched most of the Solheim cup. The golf was good, the finish was exciting and nail-biting. It should have been a tremendous advertisement for the women's game.
    However most of the women I know, particularly the younger generation, didn't see it and had little or no interest in the whole thing. When I mentioned it to my niece she said " how could I watch it, we don't have Sky Sports".
    I think that the powers that be in women's golf should at least have tried to have the competition shown live on free-to-air TV. They are putting commercial interests above the promotion of the game.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I watched most of the Solheim cup. The golf was good, the finish was exciting and nail-biting. It should have been a tremendous advertisement for the women's game.
    However most of the women I know, particularly the younger generation, didn't see it and had little or no interest in the whole thing. When I mentioned it to my niece she said " how could I watch it, we don't have Sky Sports".
    I think that the powers that be in women's golf should at least have tried to have the competition shown live on free-to-air TV. They are putting commercial interests above the promotion of the game.

It was on free to air, it was on sky sports mix.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It was on free to air, it was on sky sports mix.

The person I was talking to didn't have Sky anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Stephanie Meadow is leading after the 1st round on the LPGA tour with a bogey free round of -8

She needs a big week to keep her card. The remaining events are all limited fields so this might be her last event of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Stephanie Meadow just finished birdie-birdie and is currently T5. Great putt on the 18th with the pressure of a tour card on the line

https://twitter.com/LPGA/status/1180937881403174913

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

She finished T6 and has managed to hold onto her card by finishing 99th on the money list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Interview with Shanshan Feng asking her what she did on her break from golf last year. Sounds like she managed to put golf out of her mind for a while :)

https://www.facebook.com/LPGA/videos/450538402871897/

Tavatanakit was just too good last night but it was great to see Lydia Ko finding some form. Some round of golf from her

Rikand wrote: »
    Tavatanakit was just too good last night but it was great to see Lydia Ko finding some form. Some round of golf from her

Incredible round of golf from Ko. Actually thought she maybe even left a shot out there, but wouldn't have been enough anyway.

Tavatanakit was cool as you like. Saw on Saturday at near 540 yard 2nd, she went with driver & 7i. That's prodigious hitting on the lpga tour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Incredible round of golf from Ko. Actually thought she maybe even left a shot out there, but wouldn't have been enough anyway.

Tavatanakit was cool as you like. Saw on Saturday at near 540 yard 2nd, she went with driver & 7i. That's prodigious hitting on the lpga tour!

Course was playing firm and fast but she is a huge talent and a big hitter too. She averaged 323 yards off the tee this week and hit 85% of her greens in regulation.

What a round from Ko to apply some pressure at least and nice to see her consistently in form again. She is still only 23 after all and many more wins ahead of her. She could write an interesting book later in life

Advertisement