Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short 3-4 night ski destination options?

• 19-08-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Most years a group of 8-12 of us take a ski holiday to Austria over St. Patricks weekend. Tend to be just guys (late 30's) and the long weekend means it's normally only 1-2 days holiday if we book right. The last 2 years were Mayrhoffen and we have also done Solden and Soll.
    This year St. Patrick's weekend is a no go. So I'm looking into a smaller bookign to get a ski holiday in. I'm looking for advice on a package - self made or with an operator for Over Christmas or maybe February/March for 3-4 nights. The priority will be on convenience and it will likely just be 2 - 3 couples instead. I've been to northern Italy (Activity Breaks.com) but never to anywhere else.
    Has anyone for example flew to France and rented a car and did their own thing? Any hotel/resort recommendations?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

For convenience look at geneva - there's a bunch of resorts about an hour from the airport - chamonix, la clusaz, avoriaz, megeve, flaine etc. There are cheap regular transfers available to certainly chamonix and avoriaz

However I prefer two other hubs for short breaks - munich and milan (3 airports) as they have better flight times - leave dublin around 5, so only take half a day off work, fly back around 8 or 9 o'clock at night so ski a full day on the way home. But the resorts are further from the airport - about 2 - 2 and a half hours for munich, 2 and a half to 3 from milan. Car rental is very doable and cheap in both locations.

Geneva times aren't as well suited and french resorts less charming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

What kind of resort are you looking for and what kind of skiing do you all do?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

maddness wrote: »
    What kind of resort are you looking for and what kind of skiing do you all do?

I'm comfortable on most slopes but since I only go once annually I normally stay on reds/blues. Long flowing slopes or wide fast slopes all the better.
    If my wife is coming beginner slopes/schools would also be needed.

Resort only needs to be convenient to the airport and easy to access the slopes. If we only go for 3 nights I'm not concerned about night life to much.

Advertisement