Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRI scan for claustrophobic

• 26-08-2019 12:38pm

I went to affidia in Kilkenny and it was a bit small and I need neck, shoulder and elbow scan.

I bottled it, wasn't too bad until the put that head brace on me, just couldn't do it, Don't like that feeling of being trapped, just can't handle it.

Surely there's a better way this day and age ?

I don't want to take sedative ffs lol.

Worse of all is they said it would take 20 mins minimum if I don't move and not only that , 20 mins , in that small yoke with me head wrapped in some brace ? not a hope ! , I need to go back 3 times for each scan wtf ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

I went to affidia in Kilkenny and it was a bit small and I need neck, shoulder and elbow scan.

I bottled it, wasn't too bad until the put that head brace on me, just couldn't do it, Don't like that feeling of being trapped, just can't handle it.

Surely there's a better way this day and age ?

I don't want to take sedative ffs lol.

Worse of all is they said it would take 20 mins minimum if I don't move and not only that , I need to go back 3 times for each scan wtf ?

Suffer from bad claustrophoba as well and it took 3 attempts for me to get scan back on my back that feeling of dread is horrible , I downloaded an app that had some deep breathing exercises and used that the last time it worked but I still got panic twice and I had to talk myself out of getting out. I find also if the person doing the scan talks more it helps rather than the noice of just the machine.
    I use the breathing exercises when flying as well.

harr wrote: »
    Suffer from bad claustrophoba as well and it took 3 attempts for me to get scan back on my back that feeling of dread is horrible , I downloaded an app that had some deep breathing exercises and used that the last time it worked but I still got panic twice and I had to talk myself out of getting out. I find also if the person doing the scan talks more it helps rather than the noice of just the machine.
    I use the breathing exercises when flying as well.

Funny enough I'm actually grand on a plane.

Things like sitting In a tight corner at a table where I can't get out easy is worse. Think my fear is more to do with being trapped / restrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I've got MS so get MRI's every 18 months/2 years or so. It's really not fun. Think I've had about 5 or 6 so far. My only tips for doing it is to wear ear plugs,close your eyes before they slide you into the machine and keep them closed until your out and also,if you can get one,a little Xanax helps with the process :)

I've got MS so get MRI's every 18 months/2 years or so. It's really not fun. Think I've had about 5 or 6 so far. My only tips for doing it is to wear ear plugs,close your eyes before they slide you into the machine and keep them closed until your out and also,if you can get one,a little Xanax helps with the process :)

Thanks , wow I don't know how you do it !

Think the head restraint is the absolute worst for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Funny enough I'm actually grand on a plane.

Things like sitting In a tight corner at a table where I can't get out easy is worse. Think my fear is more to do with being trapped / restrained.
    I won’t even get into a car with no back doors ... even cramped toilets where I am totally enclosed or as you said can’t sit On the inside of a booth at a restaurant ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have MS as well I get them about once every 12/18 months. Luckily I'm not claustrophobic so space wise it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the noise, the machine makes some very harsh sounding noises. The MRI machine I go to in CUH doesn't seem to have any options for piped music or anything like that.

I have no doubts about the power of claustrophobia. My mother had it quite badly. She had a brain hemorrhage not so long ago and even after having the hemorrhage, while semi conscious, she was resisting getting into the MRI machine. She had to be sedated. I had no idea how bad it could be.

sugarman wrote: »
    Same as. It's not too bad with earplugs and the radio on the headphones. The worst part for me is lying flat and still for 20-30mins, I get awful pins and needles from it.

Theres one new and one old machine in the hospital I attend.. I always try get the new one if possible.. it's incredibly spacious and quieter compared to the older one. Given the OP attended Afidea though, they're probably a newer style machine anyway. If they can't hack it, a sedative is probably the only way unfortunately.

I can't stand wearing the headphones. Wore them for an MRI in cavan hospital I think and they were so tight I had a killer headache for afew hours after. Now I just use the ear plugs and listen to the bangs and bumps of the machine and think of them as drum tracks (I've heard a Beastie boys track and a prodigy song in amongst the bangs and beeps)

I'm normally in the Mater hospital but has an MRI 3 weeks ago on Cappagh hospital. It was actually fine. From start to finish,17 mins but for me the worst thing is the need or want to scratch my nose as I'm in the machine. Wouldn't need to itch my nose all day,get inside the MRI and I want to scratch everywhere

Thanks , wow I don't know how you do it !

Think the head restraint is the absolute worst for me.

I do it using the power of Xanax haha. It's how I managed to fly to Brazil afew years ago. I hate flying but a little Xanax or 2 and I'm super relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Affidea in santry, Dublin have a larger MRI machine (I don't know if all their MRIs are larger tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Google locations with open bore MRI machines, they will hopefully be easier for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement