Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

• 06-05-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭

Hello there, you're all very welcome to the DCM 2019 Mentored Novices Thread!

This is the 11th year that Boards has offered support and advice to DCM Novices. In 2009, -amadeus-- composed the opening symphony. Rainbow kirby took over in 2010, Raycun in 2011, followed by Younganne in 2012. career_move kept the show on the road in 2013, succeeded by Ososlo for the 2014 stanza. Dubgal72 with her expert coaching managed to get her crew through in 2015, while the 2016 edition was hosted by the notorious (not really!) nop98, in 2017 Wubble Wubble did a sterling job to bring Wubble's Wonders to the start line, in 2018 ariana' took over the reigns and expertly guided her troops (yours truly included) through to October. And so here we are with the 2019 edition......

About the Novices thread
    This thread is aimed at anyone considering doing the Dublin City Marathon for the first time this year, on October 27th. It isn't limited to those who haven't run a marathon before, maybe you ran one but it's a few years ago and you're getting back into it or maybe you ran it but it didn't go well and now you're looking for a different approach...

In a fresh twist for 2019, the marathon is currently sold out! However, fear not, as additional entries will be available from the 1st of July. The record setting numbers for 2019 speak to what a great event DCM is.

The Training
    Training for any marathon is tough, especially if it's your first! It helps if you can spare a lot of time to devote to it, it can involve a fair amount of running at stupid o'clock as your runs get longer.

Our training plans commence on Monday, June 24th, which is 7 weeks from today. We recommend that you have been running quite regularly for a year. Come June 24th, you want to be running comfortably 3-4 times a week, every week, covering at least 20 miles per week. If you want some advice on how to build your mileage up to 20 mpw over the next 7 weeks then we're here for that too :)

Have a look at the two training plans on offer and see if you can find a way to fit one of them into your life for 18 weeks. Can you fit this in your daily routine, your holiday plans, your family life? If you're unsure, just try it out for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. The mileage in the programs will go up, so be realistic in your self-assessment. If you have doubts post here and we'll give an honest assessment if we think you're ready, and which plan will suit.

Training Plans
    The Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan is a widely used novice marathon plan. It's a simple, and straightforward plan, which slowly increases the weekly mileage to eventually include a 20 mile training run, and has step-back weeks built in to help the body adapt. It uses 3 mid-week runs, which will slowly increase in length, and a longer weekend run. Ideally, you mix in one day of cross-training, too.

The Boards plan for 2019 is for slightly more experienced runners. It includes more variety in paces (either "easy" pace, or PMP ("planned marathon pace")), it includes strides on some of the easy runs, and generally covers more miles - e.g. 2 * 20 milers.

Both plans include all the Race Series build-up races (the South Dublin 10k in Clondalkin on July 21st, the Frank Duffy 10-miler on August 24th in the Phoenix Park, and the Dublin Half Marathon on September 21st in the Phoenix Park). You don't have to run these races, but it is recommended to try one or more of them or an alternative race of similar distance during the program to give yourself a feel for running at race pace and to see how much you've progressed. If the dates of your chosen races don't tie in exactly with the plan then don't worry - we can advise you on how to restructure the plan as we go on.

There are many more plans out there of course, but we recommend that you choose one of the above and trust the plan you choose! Both of these plans have got countless runners across the line over the past 10 years and they can get you across the line in 2019!

General Guidelines
    The longest runs are the most important. You can of course switch runs around within a week if you need to. If you have to skip a run, try make it one of the short runs. When it's gone, it's gone. Do not go chasing lost mileage in subsequent weeks.

Run slow. Once you think you run slow enough, run even slower. You will hear this on repeat for the next 26 weeks and for a reason, you will not be able to complete all the training miles if you don't run the majority of them slow (slower than you will run on the day itself and possibly slower than you have ever run).

Once the program is about to start, we'll talk about how to determine your training paces.

Be realistic. A marathon is no mean physical or mental challenge - hopefully you will have raced at some of the shorter distances already. Don't set your heart on hitting a particular time. You won't have a pace car in front of you to block out the wind, or have water bottles handed to you, a la Kipchoge and co. If you do want to set a target time, be conservative. The marathon has so many variables that can impact on your time.

Listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, stop your run. If it continues, seek professional guidance. As per general Boards guidelines, we cannot offer medical advice.

You'll have to make sure your wife/husband/partner is on your side. Believe you and me, it does make a difference when he/she is ready and willing to support what you're doing.

And Here Is Your Host...
    This time last year I tentatively set foot in the 2018 Novices Thread and I haven't looked back since. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Running a marathon is tough going, but training for one is equally demanding. I ran 99% of my training runs on my own, but the crew here offered a great sense of community and a feeling that we were in it together. My abiding memory of the training was the camaraderie here as everyone offered encouragement, advice and support. Genuine bonds were formed that have only grown stronger since.

DCM itself was such a great experience. I came up short of my dream target, but I genuinely didn't care. The support around the course just blew my mind and helped me through the tough closing miles. I didn't take too long to decide I wanted another taste of it this year!

But I won't be the only one looking out for you - two of my fellow 2018 novices, Huzzah! and ReeReeG, will be here to share their knowledge and experiences. Alongside that, the whole Boards Athletics and Running community is behind you, and will be dropping in with even more great advice and support. However you got here, whether you stumbled into this thread by chance, were directed here, or have lurked for years before finally taking the plunge, you will not regret making us part of your DCM journey.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!
    To finish, I'd really appreciate if you could tell us a little bit about yourself, and answer the following questions:
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    • Why are you running this marathon?

Thanks for reading. Once again, welcome to the thread. Now step forward and introduce yourself - you will not regret it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Oooooh exciting. And so it begins.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Aaaah it's started up, how exciting! Truly honoured that you asked me to join you on this Mr Guappa, looking forward to welcoming the new batch of novices now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Excited to see this up and running once again. Congrats Mr. Guappa. You’ll be a great mentor along with Huzzah and ReeReeG. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Excellent!!! So great to see this up and running for 2019!

This year's novices are in very, very good hands. Good luck all and looking forward to the months ahead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Good luck to all, mentors and novices alike!

Can't wait to follow this thread for the next few months. It'll be a rollercoaster so enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Seriously...another one of these, why??! :confused:

Do you people not realise some of us spend far too much time on Boards already :o

Novices, listen to Mr. Guappa - a rock of sense. With his mentor-ship and the wisdom of his able accomplices Huzzah! & ReeReeG, you won't go wrong.

Enjoy guys, looking forward to this journey.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck all! It's a fantastic journey to your first marathon, enjoy it :D

(On another note, how the feck is it ten years since I was on the first edition of this thread?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Linny79

Hi , first time marathon attempt DCM. U have few years running, oct 3rd 2018 half marathon 1.55. I have done 7 half marathons in total. I train 4 times including parkrun sat. 2 sessions mon wed hills , speed, tempo. In between do 6/8 miles on random Tues or thurs. Sunday by Lsr day. I dont strength/conditioning. I dont stop to walk in my runs. I can swim well can this be a strength/conditioning!!! I am moving to Dublin end June so will likely be training on my own during week and some weekends back in hills of donegal.

Dream time be sub 4.30. Running it as I'm 40 and dcm is 40 this year and I like long distance .....biggest worry chafed to death ....(happens alot) and I have wee niggle in right knee ..Thanks for all your help and tips in advance ! Linny

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Great choice for Mentor! Best of luck Mr. Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG.

Good luck to all the novices this year. Follow the plan and advice on here and you'll get yourself on the start line which is half the battle when running a Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wow that time of year again. :eek:

Good luck to all using this thread, you have a great team leading you all to the Dublin start line.

Friends for life in the making right here over the next few months - that's guaranteed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Been waiting patiently for this!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Most recent race was the Great Ireland Run 10K this year. Done it in 58 Mins.

Also done a couple of half marathons in 2014 Best being 2hours 1 min.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Started Coach to 10K in November, I have been fairly consistent running 3 days a week. My long run is now up to 8 miles. So doing about 18 Miles per week now.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Love to get in under 4:30 but realistically would be happy finishing injury free!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Plan is to get up to 4 day a week. Will probably do Hal Higdon Novice plan. But i am open to suggestions.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Why are you running this marathon?

Currently just over 15 stone and cant seem to shift the weight. Fear is I am too heavy to complete a marathon (5ft 10" male). Might need some nutrition advice also.

Reason i am running a marathon, is a goal to keep fit. I am now 42 and i feel its a period in your life where you can help dictate how you will be health wise into your 50's and 60's. I also want my kids (2 boys 5 and 12) see me take health serious and instill the importance of being active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Orleypet

Hi All!!! Newbie to this and looking forward to the months of pain ahead :D

Yes. 5km is 27 mins and 10km is 57mins. I have done 16km in LSR but not in a race

No I don't unless i have a blister which i am currently suffering with

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I train 4 days a week running between 8km onward on road and over 5km on track. I have started reformer pilates to change it up but that is one day every 2 weeks as it books up very quickly

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I hope to just finish it. It is my first marathon and I want to soak up the atmosphere

I can train 4 days a week.

Not finishing it or getting injured and not being able to partake in the marathon

I want to prove to myself that I can do this cause if I can do it anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rossi7

Best of luck with this A

Just a observation, not sure that it's too much of a issue but the week commencing dates in the Novice plan are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sorbet

Was dying for this thread to start! Thanks in advance to everyone for the help and direction.

o Only “race” has been two 5k park runs. 24.12 is best time. Training best 10K is 56.54.

o No.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    o I’ve been trying to build a base in advance of this thread coming along – currently run four times a week, Mon, Wed & Fri do 7k each run and Saturday mornings I do a long run – building up and longest one was last week 18k. All being run slow after reading much of last year’s thread recently!
    o I haven’t done any cross training at all – just running – so need to improve that area for certain.

o #1 goal is to finish without having to walk. Dream finishing time would be 4 hours but honestly there is nothing in my training that would suggest I could achieve it – just a dream. More realistically I would love to finish in 4hr 30.

o Running wise I plan on continuing with four days. Haven’t really thought about cross training etc. Not sure what plan to follow yet.

o Injury. I was six weeks into a beginner’s half marathon training plan for the Wicklow Gaol Break in March and got patellar tendinitis and had to miss the race. Tried to build up distance in training too fast I think. Turns out I have profoundly flat feet (who knew!) and got prescription orthotics and am now back running 9 weeks without a problem. I got a taste of what it is like to have to sit out an injury so very keen to take everything very slowly now to avoid injury.

o Always thought the idea of achieving finishing a marathon would be great but never really gave it a huge amount of thought – I didn’t think I was suited to running. After I started running last year the idea grew. In a bizarre way the solo long run on a Saturday morning has become something I really look forward to –something for me. I also love the role modelling aspect for my kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Best of luck with this A

Just a observation, not sure that it's too much of a issue but the week commencing dates in the Novice plan are wrong

Cheers for that Rossi - the dates and plans will be corrected shortly to reflect 2019, but the general structure won't change too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anne.oneemas

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

YOU CAN DO THIS!!
    To finish, I'd really appreciate if you could tell us a little bit about yourself, and answer the following questions:
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I'm 55 now, so my previous PBs are a distant memory. Recent park run times have just started to be consistently sub 30 mins, and 10k in Wexford was sub 59min.
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

I tried run/walk for a while but didn't really like it. I found the anxiety during the walk breaks was too much for me.
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

I'm all over the place at the mo - might run 5 times in a week or only once. Generally try to get in a few body pump/ strength/ yoga sessions a week, and currently in a group that's building to a 2 min plank.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Sub 4:30 would be phenomenal. May revise target as training unfolds.
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

3-4 runs a week, plus weights/strength.i haven't settled on a particular plan yet though.
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

I've run a few marathons before (i know i know - it's a novice thread) but i seem to be getting worse instead of better.
    • Why are you running this marathon?

I need to do this to prove to myself that i can.

/LIST]

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Linny79 wrote: »
    Hi , first time marathon attempt DCM. U have few years running, oct 3rd 2018 half marathon 1.55. I have done 7 half marathons in total. I train 4 times including parkrun sat. 2 sessions mon wed hills , speed, tempo. In between do 6/8 miles on random Tues or thurs. Sunday by Lsr day. I dont strength/conditioning. I dont stop to walk in my runs. I can swim well can this be a strength/conditioning!!! I am moving to Dublin end June so will likely be training on my own during week and some weekends back in hills of donegal.

Dream time be sub 4.30. Running it as I'm 40 and dcm is 40 this year and I like long distance .....biggest worry chafed to death ....(happens alot) and I have wee niggle in right knee ..Thanks for all your help and tips in advance ! Linny

Very welcome to the thread Linny! It sounds like you're in a very good place to begin marathon training. What's your typical weekly mileage at the moment? Have you thought about which plan you'd like to follow? I think you'd be well able for the boards plan, based on what you've told us. I do note that you have too many "hard" days in your weekly schedule, we will replace most of those with "easy" days. As we go along we'll get into the science of it, but lots and lots of easy running is what marathon training is all about.

A piece of advice for all novices: get yourselves a foam roller! One of the best pieces of kit a runner can have. And if you've any niggles, now is the best time to get a physio to take a look, before the training ramps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just popping in to wish all of this year's novices good luck with the training. I was a novice last year and the support, encouragement and help on the thread got me to the start line and finish line of DCM. Exciting times ahead for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Did DCM last year but didn't train for it (4:47). Have signed up again with the intention of properly training with a goal of getting home in under 4 hours. Turning 30 two weeks after DCM so never a better time to try it!

5k 23:34 – March 23rd (Parkrun)
    10k 49:25 – April 14th (Great Ireland Run)
    Marathon 4:47:xx – DCM 2018

Can do 10k without a break. Haven't gone beyond that since DCM but feel like I could comfortably keep going at the right pace. Time will tell

4 times a week. 10k x 3 + Parkrun Saturdays (with a 2.5k warm up and cool down either side)

Reckon sub 4 is achievable. 3:30 would be the dream but reckon DCM19 may be too soon for that.

Realistically I can trian 5/6 days a week with the right motivation

Will I be able to keep up the training (I run on my own a lot which can lead to a lack of motivation)

Ran, walked, jogged DCM last year and loved it. The atmosphere was unreal. Felt amazing finishing it. Want to prove I can train properly for a marathon and complete it in under 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JemsD

Hi All - Newbie to this and first Marathon (fingers crossed!)

Here goes!

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Not many! 1st half was Paddys Day 2019 Mullingar time was 1.58, Trim 10 Mile, 1.30

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    5k - 8k on Mon, 8k-10k Wed, Track Fri, Sat sometimes, Sunday LSR between 10miles to 13miles
    Spin Class once weekly
    Pilates once weekly

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream finishing time - 4.15
    Realistic finishing time - 4.30

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Planning Running 4/5 times weekly
    Open to suggestions!

•What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Over training - not knowing when to rest leading to injury.
    Nutrition is also a concern - how to look after myself and make sure I am getting the right nutrition during training and on rest days.

•Why are you running this marathon?
    At 36, I want to lead a healthy/balanced lifestyle for my 3 children. They are at impressionable ages (13, 9, 7) and I want to show them that when you make a decision and put the hard work in you can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kalesshi queen

Ist marathon for. Excited and nervous all at once. Some days the panic takes over.
    I'm 55 run regularly for past 6 years. Worked up from 5k to half marathon last year. Have done 2 halfs so far. Average around 2:20.
    I'm not really looking for a time,just want to get over the line in one piece and enjoy the experience.
    Have looked at a few plans. Most run 4 times a week. I can realistically fit in 3. I do kettlbell/circuit one day and spin class one day a week. My work takes up around 42 to 50 hrs a week. I work most evening so being part of a running group was never an option.
    At the moment I do 2 runs 8 to 10k during the week with a long run on Sunday 12 to 16k.
    Hopefully I won't feel so much as a solo runner being part of this group.

Irishder wrote: »
    Been waiting patiently for this!

Most recent race was the Great Ireland Run 10K this year. Done it in 58 Mins.

Also done a couple of half marathons in 2014 Best being 2hours 1 min.

No

Started Coach to 10K in November, I have been fairly consistent running 3 days a week. My long run is now up to 8 miles. So doing about 18 Miles per week now.

Love to get in under 4:30 but realistically would be happy finishing injury free!

Plan is to get up to 4 day a week. Will probably do Hal Higdon Novice plan. But i am open to suggestions.

Currently just over 15 stone and cant seem to shift the weight. Fear is I am too heavy to complete a marathon (5ft 10" male). Might need some nutrition advice also.

Reason i am running a marathon, is a goal to keep fit. I am now 42 and i feel its a period in your life where you can help dictate how you will be health wise into your 50's and 60's. I also want my kids (2 boys 5 and 12) see me take health serious and instill the importance of being active.

Hello Irishder! I totally relate to your motivations for doing this. I had similar reasons last year in wanting to be a role model for my two. When 4 year old plays being the daddy, his catchphrase is "I'm the daddy, I'm going for a run" - fills me with pride every time!

We'll have specific pre and post-run nutrition advice as we go along, but for now, just keep it sensible. More fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc., and less processed food and junk food. Eating better will give you more energy for your runs, and help your recovery afterwards.

The Hal Higdon plan seems like a good fit for you. An 8 mile long run at this stage has you well placed, just keep the paces nice and easy, and you'll be well set. Maybe add a 4th day of running (2 miles or so), in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Linny79 wrote: »

Dublin will be flat then if you train in Donegal.

Get yourself bodyglide. You can order in Elvery's or you used to be able to or go shop on Amazon. It'll stop chafing.

Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Have been keeping an eye out for this thread.

I followed it in 2014 but bowed out due to injury (I know now that I didn't stretch enough).
    Back again in 2015 but legs turned to lead at mile 19 and finished in 5:10.
    Post-race analysis was that my LSR was too much of my weekly total - my "medium" run was never long enough.

Dublin Half Marathon 2018 - finished in 2:00:00 so am still to get a sub 2.
    Marathon 5:10 (2015)

No but I run with my dog a lot and sometimes she does for calls of nature ;)

Try to get out 4 days a week but it doesn't always happen.
    I started a log here - last week was 25 miles.

I want to run the whole thing with no need to walk like last time.
    Would be delighted with 4:30

Hopefully get out 4 days
    Not sure on plan - maybe the boards one

Getting injured.

Unfinished business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hi all completely new to this & hoping to achieve my goal of completing the DCM this year ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    * I have entered a few races this year most recently the Kildare 5k getting my PB 22:19 & the 10k Nightrun 47:10

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    * No walk breaks

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness
    * I run between 6 - 8k at lunch 2-3 times a week then a long run at the weekends started at 10k got 17k done this weekend. I weight train twice a week 1 HIIT class & 1 strength & conditioning class

* My dream is to complete it and i would absolutely love to do it in just over 4hours but only once i get training properly i will be able to judge that

* Not too sure yet which to follow - i plan to train 4 days a week but more if needed- i want to give 100%

* Not completing it is a huge fear & getting an injury would be a worry

* A few reasons here, never thought i could ever do this so i am thrilled to be doing it. I am turning 41 this year so also it will be a huge personal achievement for me proving to myself i can do it. And most importantly i am doing it for a very close friend who recently lost a sister & another one a few years ago due to a horrible illness, an illness she is fighting herself & had a kidney removed due to tumors. She has asked me to run it for the Irish kidney Association which is the least i can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Thanks to Mr. Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG and probably many others that will lend their support over the coming months. I've no doubt that a huge amount of effort goes into it.

1 mile : 5:58 - 2019-04-24
    5k: 19:46 - 2019-05-01
    10k: 43:19 - 2019-04-14
    HM: 1:39:33 - 2018-09-23

Nope

I usually run 5 days a week, totaling 30-40 miles. Club session on Tuesdays, but have missed that the last while due to life. Long run on Sundays, usually 8-10 miles.

Cycle a similar distance on commute (5-6 miles, 5 days a week). Sometimes throw in longer cycle on Mondays or Fridays, as they're usually my non-running days.

Dream time: 3:15/20, realistic: 3:30

I've not 100% decided on plan but looking at P&D 55 mile plan. It'll need some small changes to fit the race series in, but hopefully no major changes.

1. Injury
    2. Not finishing

A made me do it :P

Eh, I mean, I wanted to challenge myself. Have worked my way from a couch to 5k, through to half marathon (3 so far) and looking to take the next step now.

Here's a log I made earlier: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920744

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm late to the party! I've followed this thread for many years and learned so much about running in general. I loved taking part last year and am delighted to have been asked to assist with this year's thread.

Welcome to all who have posted so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

The very best of luck to A and the team (the A Team?) of mentors....a very strong support team for the 2019 novices. I really enjoyed being a part of this novice thread last year.

To the novices:

Enjoy it, its going to be tough, fun, challenging and painful, but when you cross that finish line, no matter the time.....you will have completed a marathon.....a feeling that will stay with you for a very long time

Best of luck!

Orleypet wrote: »

Yes. 5km is 27 mins and 10km is 57mins. I have done 16km in LSR but not in a race

I train 4 days a week running between 8km onward on road and over 5km on track. I have started reformer pilates to change it up but that is one day every 2 weeks as it books up very quickly

I hope to just finish it. It is my first marathon and I want to soak up the atmosphere

Not finishing it or getting injured and not being able to partake in the marathon

Welcome Orleypet! I did it last year, and if I can do it you definitely can too! As you alude to, there is really two goals here, firstly getting to the start line, and then getting to the finish. Take a look at both plans in the OP, and see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Orleypet wrote: »

Welcome to you Orleypet! That's a perfect goal - aiming to finish it. First marathon is special. Great that you already have hit 16km for a long run, good base to work from. What's your weekly mileage typically at the minute? Hope the blister heals soon also :)

Sorbet wrote: »
    Was dying for this thread to start! Thanks in advance to everyone for the help and direction.

o Only “race” has been two 5k park runs. 24.12 is best time. Training best 10K is 56.54.

o No.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    o I’ve been trying to build a base in advance of this thread coming along – currently run four times a week, Mon, Wed & Fri do 7k each run and Saturday mornings I do a long run – building up and longest one was last week 18k. All being run slow after reading much of last year’s thread recently!
    o I haven’t done any cross training at all – just running – so need to improve that area for certain.

o #1 goal is to finish without having to walk. Dream finishing time would be 4 hours but honestly there is nothing in my training that would suggest I could achieve it – just a dream. More realistically I would love to finish in 4hr 30.

o Running wise I plan on continuing with four days. Haven’t really thought about cross training etc. Not sure what plan to follow yet.

o Injury. I was six weeks into a beginner’s half marathon training plan for the Wicklow Gaol Break in March and got patellar tendinitis and had to miss the race. Tried to build up distance in training too fast I think. Turns out I have profoundly flat feet (who knew!) and got prescription orthotics and am now back running 9 weeks without a problem. I got a taste of what it is like to have to sit out an injury so very keen to take everything very slowly now to avoid injury.

o Always thought the idea of achieving finishing a marathon would be great but never really gave it a huge amount of thought – I didn’t think I was suited to running. After I started running last year the idea grew. In a bizarre way the solo long run on a Saturday morning has become something I really look forward to –something for me. I also love the role modelling aspect for my kids too.

Great to have you join us Sorbet. First thing that jumps out is that "best" training 10k! If you're training at that pace, you're going too fast (unless it was a session of some sort) and using the 5k parkrun as a marker. There will be more tips on this SEVERAL times in the coming weeks, but for now I would recommend to practice running slower :)

Advertisement