Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do collect? Part.II.

• 20-06-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Reprising Judgement Day's thread from 10 years ago!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055846663

What are you collecting in 2020?

I've switched direction completely in recent years and largely sold off my collectabes - railwaywana, breweriana and general ephemera. I still collect books by specific Irish authors - William Trevor, Rearden Conner, John McGahern etc. but I no longer view these as keepers as my children have no interest in them. I went through a brief phase of postcard collecting refined down to artist cards leading eventually to actual handpainted cards.

This led inexorably towards art collecting and I started buying whatever I liked and could afford. Over the last couple of years this too has been refined to a small number of Irish artists who I chase down wherever possible. There's a lot of work goes into this, not just the occasional visit to an auction room, and it was during one of my regular trawls online that I came across my latest purchase. Included in the inventory of an Irish dealer who usually only has local artists was the painting below.

Bismarck.jpg

The 26th May 1941 and RAF Swordfish biplanes from the carrier HMS Ark Royal attack the "Bismarck", pride of the German fleet, off the French coast. Despite their antiquated appearance the Swordfish attack managed to achieve what the Royal Navy surface fleet had not and their torpedoes damaged the Bismarck's steering gear and this was to prove fatal. The ship was unable to navigate and the next day British ships finished her off with ease and she went to the bottom taking 2,200 crew with her.

While I instantly was attracted by the painting I was uncertain but having seen the film "Sink the Bismarck" (1960) I decided to give it another watch - impressed I bought the painting the next day. That's how fickle I am. :D

Let's have some of your collecting stories!

See more of my obsession here: https://irishartindex.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hello collectors!

Just been seconded here as a Mod so thought I’d introduce myself. :)

Been collecting for a few years now.....

Started off with clay pipes when I was a kid. You’d find them walking through freshly ploughed fields.

Then fast forward a few decades....

More recently it’s old bottles. I usually find them walking the beaches of Dublin Bay and from our back garden. Love the look and feel of old glass. Have discovered a few pottery bottles too. I love the way they just appear one day! :)

Also collect fossils - mostly Ammonites but have a few dinosaur teeth as well.

I have a few Stone Age/Iron Age things - arrow heads mostly.

Some ancient coins - 2000 years plus. It’s amazing to think of what they’ve been through since minted.

Started collecting old solid silver thimbles since lockdown commenced. Usually through EBay from the U.K. but that’s stopped now since Brexit.

Would love to have the available funds to collect old solid silver boxes but kids still living at home so they’ll have to wait unfortunately. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Welcome Gloomtastic! - hopefully, you will be able to stir the forum to life! :)

And to get things rolling here's a small selection of curious Christmas cards from the 1950s which I picked up for very little on eBay a couple of weeks ago. 40 cards in varying sizes on very heavy card by someone who could draw - I wonder was he a newspaper cartoonist or just a talented amateur?

Pete Moody from Kings Lynn, Norfolk, is the only information that I have been able to ascertain so far but I'm on the case. He seems to have been involved with the RAF, golf, drink and trying to turn home brew into petrol! They are an eclectic collection and heavens only knows what I'm going to do with them but they are fun. :D

Golf%2B1.jpg

Too%2BMuch%2BYeast%2B1.jpg

Balloon%2BBike.jpg

Dry%2BWhite.jpg

^ Nice. Prints or originals?

^ Nice. Prints or originals?

All 40 are originals - £30 incl.registered mail from the UK, I couldn't resist.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    All 40 are originals - £30 incl.registered mail from the UK, I couldn't resist.

Bargain! Well done :)

Advertisement