Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UEFA Champions League 21-24: FTA on RTE&VMTV, LiveScore other matches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Whoever has taken the Champions league rights away from Virgin Media Sports it's vital that they get these channels on to the Virgin Cable Tv platform or at least offer access to subscribe via an app.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Split from the eir/VM Sport thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Whoever has taken the Champions league rights away from Virgin Media Sports it's vital that they get these channels on to the Virgin Cable Tv platform or at least offer access to subscribe via an app.

If it’s DAZN or Amazon (for example), it’ll be their apps. There’ll be no TV platform at all

From what I heard, eir has not bid for the CL rights

Has the original Irish Times story been changed? It seems to now rule out DAZN or Amazon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-loses-out-in-champions-league-tv-bidding-1.4497952?mode=amp

The rise in price earlier furthered speculation that sports streaming service DAZN – which recently won the German rights to the Champions League – or Amazon Prime Video were pursuing rights in the Irish market, but neither is believed to be the final bidder.

If it’s not eir - which would tally with the theory that the channel is in wind down - it would look set (by process of elimination) to be Premier Sports?

icdg wrote: »
    Has the original Irish Times story been changed? It seems to now rule out DAZN or Amazon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-loses-out-in-champions-league-tv-bidding-1.4497952?mode=amp

If it’s not eir - which would tally with the theory that the channel is in wind down - it would look set (by process of elimination) to be Premier Sports?

Yeah, that was absolutely changed. Very odd by Premier to go for this (if they have). Only available in Irelans as part of the sports extra pack on sky and nowtv

• Advertisement

Also Vodafone and legacy eir Vision.

Very poor practice from The Irish Times. Should clearly state article was edited similar to The Guardian for example.

I'd love if it is Bein Sports - I know probably a long shot.

Also thinking CBS from the states with Paramount Plus. CBS News app already on LG Tv.

It would be an interesting one though if it is Premier, as that would leave VM subscribers with only one Champions League game per week. Certainly Now TV as an add on would be a beneficiary but it could be the bridgehead needed to get BT/Premier on the platform.

We haven’t considered one other obvious prospect - a Sky bid in their own right. Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve gone for ROI only rights but I don’t think they will

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Could BT want in? or would it be worth their while getting full exclusive right in Ireland?

I am not sure how it would suit anyone outside BT or any new providers.

Elmo wrote: »
    Could BT want in? or would it be worth their while getting full exclusive right in Ireland?

I am not sure how it would suit anyone outside BT or any new providers.

They’ve no real need. They already show in Ireland

Conversely I think it’s too big for Sky to get just for Ireland. They let the 3pm EPL game go quickly enough. Not worth the hassle of ROI only

• Advertisement

May as well throw in Eleven Sports, Rakuten Tv and Apple Tv into the mix as potential candidates.

Dodge wrote: »
    They’ve no real need. They already show in Ireland

Conversely I think it’s too big for Sky to get just for Ireland. They let the 3pm EPL game go quickly enough. Not worth the hassle of ROI only

I also think Ireland is too small for Amazon and other On Demand providers.

Unless RTÉ, GAA and FAI plan to bring them to WATCHLOI !

I would disagree with Ireland is too small. Yes we are small but you have to start somewhere. Until we hear who it is it's all pure speculation which as you can see I am happy to partake in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it has all the hallmarks of Premier sports.. but what they will do with it is another issue. a longshot would be discovery plus/eurosport

Also, a never heard from before crowd called Sports Flick somehow won the Australian rights. Possible something similar happened here? Probably not, but worth throwing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

if it is premier sports then Uefa are probably doing a thorough flick of the books to see if they will be around in 3 years time based on the price they are paying Pro14 and UCL etc..

I was only reading about that. A big shock for Optus in Australia. Maybe I'm wrong but in 5-10 years I could see say Amazon or Apple having worldwide rights.

You would get the same match coverage in Dublin or Sydney for example.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I would disagree with Ireland is too small. Yes we are small but you have to start somewhere. Until we hear who it is it's all pure speculation which as you can see I am happy to partake in.

grand so I am sticking to my utterly nonsensical speculation that it is going to be WATCHIOL and look forward to being proved completely wrong and if proved right to be as shocked as everyone else.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If it is Premier Sport then they'd want to sort out online access. Now TV is hopeless as it doesn't include the extra red button channels that they'd have to use for the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

When is it due to be announced?

• Advertisement

Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

What are the viewing figures for mid-week Champions League games like these days? The group stages is such a flabby non-event I can't imagine many people will be swayed to sign up for another package to watch them.

Nobody mentioned Vodafone or even Three -maybe a free app -just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

dohboy wrote: »
    What are the viewing figures for mid-week Champions League games like these days? The group stages is such a flabby non-event I can't imagine many people will be swayed to sign up for another package to watch them.

For adults (15+)
    RTE2 - 16 Feb - Leipzig v Liverpool 200,000
    VM2 - 16 Feb - Barca V PSG 70,600

VM2 - 17 Feb - Porto V Juventus 77,000

RTE2 - 23 Feb - Ath Madrid v Chelsea 150,700
    VM2 - 23 Feb - Lazio v Bayern Munich (below 43,000)

VM2 - 24 Feb - Borussia M'bach V Man City 72,100

And just for comparison, on VM2, the following gets on average:
    17:00 Tipping Point 64,000
    18:00 The Chase 55,000
    19:00 The Chase 68,800

And on VM3:
    20:00 Heartbeat 75,000

On VM1:
    19:00 Emmerdale 209,700
    19:30 Corrie 242,500
    20:30 Corrie 249,000

So while they now unashamedly have morphed into an Irish ITV, can see that when 20 year old episodes of Heartbeat and repeated gameshows nearly gets the same as Champions League matches, that maybe they're just not worth it for Virgin Media.

This interesting opinion piece follows up on the original story but doesn’t shed any more light on our mystery bidder.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/another-round-of-tv-sports-rights-upheaval-is-well-and-truly-kicking-off-1.4498038%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭mike2084

I expect a winner will be posted here at some stage - they last updated these documents on 25th February. I understand BT have retained spillover Irish rights from a post on DigitalSpy but can't shed anymore light on that.

Scroll down to 'Media content rights sales'
    https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/documentlibrary/tenders/

I’m not sure I’d take that particular post as gospel, although I expect that is indeed the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If BT have retained the rights to broadcast into Ireland, I would think that would leave a free to air channel as a contender for the rights?

With BT on Now TV why would you subscribe to anything else?

Could TG4 be a runner?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/another-round-of-tv-sports-rights-upheaval-is-well-and-truly-kicking-off-1.4498038

An assumption there that Virgin Media Television were not buying this on behalf of their parent company for Virgin Media Sport. While FTA TV will consider what it pays for sporting events Virgin Media Television and Virgin Media were putting this content behind a pay wall and that's a completely different decision making process to a FTA channel broadcasting all matches for free.

Did Virgin Media put all matches on their Player for free?
    ...any well-backed international group can .... make “a crazy bid”,.... intent on a subscriber land grab. For broadcasters like Virgin, however, the cost of TV sports rights is almost always an outlay that requires much careful thought.

.... In the future, it faces vying with both the likes of Amazon, one of the largest companies in the world, and RTÉ, the recipient of.... licence fee funding.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Did Virgin Media put all matches on their Player for free?

No. Only free to air stuff on Virgin Media Player. I can’t even find the Europa League games they aired last Thursday. Just the highlights and magazine shows.

VM Sport needs the separate pay app, Virgin Media TV Anywhere.

Advertisement