Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JVC LT-40C890 TV Fault

• 01-02-2021 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Bought this 40" flat screen tv about 18 months ago and today it sopped working.

From doing some research online it appears that the tv is stuck in standby mode. The red light is appearing on the frame of the tv hardware which means its getting the required power supply but when I try to switch it on then using the remote, nothing happens! I have tried changing the batteries and still nothing.

There is no buttons at all on the tv hardware and no manual on/off switch on the tv hardware, so I can only use the remote to turn it on/off.

I checked with the manufacturer and the store and both guarantees ended after 12 months and I didn't purchase any additional extended warranty.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Leinster D wrote: »
    Bought this 40" flat screen tv about 18 months ago and today it sopped working.

From doing some research online it appears that the tv is stuck in standby mode. The red light is appearing on the frame of the tv hardware which means its getting the required power supply but when I try to switch it on then using the remote, nothing happens! I have tried changing the batteries and still nothing.

There is no buttons at all on the tv hardware and no manual on/off switch on the tv hardware, so I can only use the remote to turn it on/off.

I checked with the manufacturer and the store and both guarantees ended after 12 months and I didn't purchase any additional extended warranty.

Thanks

https://manuall.co.uk/jvc-lt-43c890-led-television/

Manual says there is a little switch on the left hand side, try that? Is it possible that the remote is simply broken? Maybe try a cheap one for all or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ei9go

The batteries in the remote supplied with Currys JVC tv's have a habit of moving and losing contact so the TV seems not to work.
    Remove the little screw, reseat the batteries and pack the battery compartment with a tissue.
    Top tip: you can see if your remote is working by looking at it with the camera on your smartphone and pressing the buttons.
    Digital cameras can see infra red.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Leinster D

So today I have sound. I am able to hear the tv channels but still no picture.

So I don't know if there is a fault with the picture on the tv or if one of the toddlers in my house adjusted the colour settings on the tv using the remote!

I am trying to change the tv settings blindly using the remote and by following the manual but no luck so far as I cannot locate the correct option. I have tried to locate a youtube video explaining the steps needed to adjust the display settings, so I could essentially copy it even if I don't have a picture, but there doesn't appear to be any specific videos for this specific JVC tv model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Leinster D wrote: »

Thanks

Guarantees are IN ADDITION to your legal rights. In the EU (you still are, lucky you) there is a minimum 2 year guarantee. So go back to your retailer and ask them to honour your EU rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TrueBlue1000

Sorry to open an old thread. In EU there is 2 year guarantee. But, in Ireland. It is 6 years. I have the same problem with the same model TV. Remote is working. Sound, but no picture. Which means the backlights are not working. Common problem with LED TVs. Check it out on YouTube.

I had a 4 year old laptop refunded after Harvey Norman attempted twice to repair. They refused to refund until I showed them a printout of this page:

I'm thinking of doing the same with the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That link says that the fault has to be reported within 6 months for a presumption to be made that is existed at the time of purchase. After that it would be a matter of negotiation with the seller.

• Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items (both new and second-hand).
    • If the product is defective, the seller is generally responsible for providing redress.
    • If a fault arises within six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of purchase. For this reason, the consumer should not have to provide proof of the defect.
    • If the fault arises more than six months after purchase, the seller may request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse – for instance, by obtaining a report from an independent expert.

Advertisement