Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Such a pity it's only available in SD

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Have they made the DOG/BUG on all channels smaller and lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

RTÉ have stepped in to ensure the Republic of Ireland's friendly international with England will be available to an Irish audience on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Delta2113 wrote: »
    RTÉ have stepped in to ensure the Republic of Ireland's friendly international with England will be available to an Irish audience on Thursday night.

That's great news. I was going to watch ITV's coverage on Thursday night. Nice to have another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Didn't quite understand why Virgin Media didn't take the match in the first place. They have it down to show an hour of highlights at 10, and the full match at 11pm on Virgin Media 2.

It's not exclusive to Sky either. It's another strange move by them, and their international rights for football are just so odd.

Good on RTE to step in and show it live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not sure I buy the “RTE to the rescue” narrative, but a bit of explanation.

The rights to most international football in Europe are now sold by UEFA, who sell the rights to European Qualifiers, the Nations League, and friendlies that take place on UEFA Nations League matchdays.

There are still some friendly matches that fall outside of this central sales system, and this was one, it takes place on a European Qualifiers rather than Nations League match day.

As a result the rights default back to the old position of being sold by the home association, so the Irish rights were the FA’s to sell on a one-off basis, ITV having a long term deal for the U.K. rights to all England football still falling outside the UEFA sales process.

That doesn’t explain how VMTV ended up with the highlights rights only. I’m a bit confused by that one.

Personally I think Virgin got the highlights as part off an already agreed package. Do Itv come in to play here?

RTE offered more than Virgin if they even bothered bidding. Did Sky bid for ROI LIVE rights or Premier?

We will probably never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Personally I think Virgin got the highlights as part off an already agreed package. Do Itv come in to play here?

RTE offered more than Virgin if they even bothered bidding. Did Sky bid for ROI LIVE rights or Premier?

We will probably never know.

My hunch is that Virgin Media already held the rights to the play-off game between Northern Ireland and Slovakia. So they thought that they weren't going to bother spend extra money on the Ireland v England game, knowing they'll have highlights and delayed coverage later.

Now that's backfired, and I doubt many will be tuning into the Northern Ireland match on VM2 - and they'll have the usual silly scenario where they will be previewing the Ireland England match for a while on VM2 while they're showing a different match later.

While I don’t think ITV come into play here, VMTV have shown England friendlies (not involving the Republic of Ireland) in the past. Maybe there’s a pre-existing deal with the FA that would have given them rights to the highlights of this game. I can’t believe they didn’t pick it up in those circumstances but as a poster above states it may have come down to thinking that if they already have the rights to so many games that night as part of their European Qualifiers package why would they spend extra money. A bit of a miscalculation if it involved passing up England v Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

icdg wrote: »
    A rare use of the RTÉ News channel for sport today, Leitim v Mayo airing opposite Donegal v Tyrone on RTE2.

They also used it this sunday around 5pm

I think it was for that match that overran on radio 1 and forced the cancellation of the History show at 6pm

• Advertisement

Did they really boot Cork v Kerry ET over to RTE News or was it a simulcast? There should have been more than enough time in the post-game slot to allow the ET coverage to run and the lead out programme was Dr No which could have been delayed. By all accounts, it was the game of the season so far (which unfortunately I didn’t see) so I’m surprised the twitterati didn’t erupt if that had happened.

I do know it got some use on Saturday for the other Munster semi, Limerick v Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Did they really boot Cork v Kerry ET over to RTE News or was it a simulcast?

Simulcast, RTE2 showed it to the end of ET and a bit of analysis after.

News channel was a simulcast of RTE2 except with commentary in Irish. RTE2 also had Irish commentary on one of their audio streams so the News simulcast was superfluous. It was probably easier to simulcast than try to explain to less tech savvy viewers how to change audio streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Good to see no adds at the moment on RTE Player on the Roku device

So I was wrong and the rights to this friendly (and all the other friendlies taking place in Europe tonight and last night)were sold centrally by UEFA.

I take it then that as centralised friendlies taking place on Nations League match nights follow the Nations League rights, these inherit the European Qualifiers rights, which means RTE would always have had the rights to this match live as that is the deal.

Also explains why VMTV have the highlights.

The newspaper articles totally suggested that RTE almost came in at the last minute to show the game.

Not sure why the other thread got closed. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058089165

Any one know if RTÉ promoted The South Westerlies more than Dead Still, strange to see it not appear in their top 20 shows over the weeks that it ran, while the The South Westerlies had a consistent 250,000 viewers.

I’m not sure why this thread was closed either, and the Mod Log says I closed it...so, anyway, thread reopened and merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

Elmo wrote: »
    Have they made the DOG/BUG on all channels smaller and lighter?

I wish!

New show on RTÉ2 called open house only ten minutes with a weekly book review from Micheal Scott & diy with neivell knot? Anyone hear of this before, next Wednesday

New show on RTÉ2 called open house only ten minutes with a weekly book review from Micheal Scott & diy with neivell knot? Anyone hear of this before, next Wednesday

Fillers they are about 10 minutes footage from the OPEN HOUSE architecture week.

News2Day moves to the News Channel next week, but returns to 2 after that, I don't see why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭AJB39

Fillers they are about 10 minutes footage from the OPEN HOUSE architecture week.

News2Day moves to the News Channel next week, but returns to 2 after that, I don't see why?

It’s because Racing From Punchestown will be on RTÉ 2 at 4pm from Tuesday to Friday next week.

AJB39 wrote: »
    It’s because Racing From Punchestown will be on RTÉ 2 at 4pm from Tuesday to Friday next week.

And Monday and an earlier time? And the morning repeats?

And Monday and an earlier time? And the morning repeats?

I suspect News2Day isn’t going to air at all next week. RTÉ News Channel schedules are often inaccurate. I would say it’s not airing on Monday because from RTE’s point of view it’s easier and cheaper to have it off the whole week rather then bringing the production staff and presenters in for just one day.

AJB39 wrote: »
    I suspect News2Day isn’t going to air at all next week. RTÉ News Channel schedules are often inaccurate. I would say it’s not airing on Monday because from RTE’s point of view it’s easier and cheaper to have it off the whole week rather then bringing the production staff and presenters in for just one day.

According to the presenter it will be on the News Channel next week.

According to the presenter it will be on the News Channel next week.

Ok. I’m out of explanations. We’ll see if it does air on the news channel next week.

You were right Elmo. News2Day did air on the News Channel today. It also aired in full screen format which it normally doesn’t when it is simulcast from RTÉ 2.

Did RTÉ News Now Carry Biden's address live?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yes. It was on there last night. Although it begun just after the titles of the Nine O'Clock News.

They had coverage of UK Parliament this morning only to be cut for their 10 minute news bulletin at 1, followed by repeats.

• Advertisement

Advertisement