Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mines been nothing as reliable as that.

I'll waiting for some more feedback on these new boxes before considering get their TV product back.

https://youtu.be/StTqXEQ2l-Y

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Found the following page on Virgin website that gives some more details:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv360support/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Calibos wrote: »
    More 4K content and Virgin getting BT Sports back would make me fully content with Virgin. Love my 4x 360 Main and Mini Boxes, the TV Anywhere App I have running on 2 of my little KODI Android boxes and have always been very happy with their BB as I have always gotten 100% of my package speed 24/7 and have had about 10 hours total downtime for my connection in the last 10 years.

If itnwas up to VM they'd have BT sports but there are multiple factors preventing them having it.

I'm the same with my broadband, everytime I do a speed test I get full speed. I find the biggest cause of slow speeds or WiFi "dropping" (I frickin hate that term) is people's own devices. If you have an iPhone 5 or a 2.4ghz N class laptop and you're complaining about not getting 500mbps you may as well be in a Micra on the Autobahn complaining about not doing 200mph lol

If itnwas up to VM they'd have BT sports but there are multiple factors preventing them having it.

I'm the same with my broadband, everytime I do a speed test I get full speed. I find the biggest cause of slow speeds or WiFi "dropping" (I frickin hate that term) is people's own devices. If you have an iPhone 5 or a 2.4ghz N class laptop and you're complaining about not getting 500mbps you may as well be in a Micra on the Autobahn complaining about not doing 200mph lol

What has the WiFi speed or got to IEEE standard and with being disconnected (or "dropping").

In your analogy it would be the road disappearing. What difference does the type are car make.

You might have a mix of devices some wired some wireless. If the connection is gone. Not a lot you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Some droppings in that first sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

If it was up to VM they'd have BT sports but there are multiple factors preventing them having it.

Such as?

I thought once Sky bought back the rights to BT Sports in Ireland after Eir didn’t renew their deal with BT, that just like when Sky had the rights to BT Sports and sold it wholesale to Virgin a few years ago, that they’d do the same again.

If Virgin wont pay The wholesale price Sky want, then both Virgin and Sky could lose out on subs what with Now TV carrying Sky Sports and BT Sports.

Sort it out Virgin/Sky!! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky never had the wholesale rights to BT Sport in Ireland before August 2019. You may be thinking of the former ESPN UK operation. The rights were held by Setanta Sports from BT’s launch in 2013, renewed for the 2016-19 cycle and had been sold to eir as part of the sale of Setanta’s original Irish operation.

However I’d agree with the general sentiment. Sky has agreed a wholesale deal for BT Sport with Vodafone (and briefly had one with eir before they changed their TV strategy suddenly) so I’m not sure why they can’t do one with Virgin. It can only boil down to price as Sky clearly hasn’t taken any decision to limit availability of the channels to Sky DTH customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Do they intend to carry Sky Sports UHD on this or any 4k content?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Just renewed with Virgin today and they told me the new box will be available by the end of the month and that existing customers will be able to upgrade for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Col_30 wrote: »
    Just renewed with Virgin today and they told me the new box will be available by the end of the month and that existing customers will be able to upgrade for free.

Their CS really takes the biscuit.

I'm about to move house and am inclined to go with VM for broadband and Sky for TV at the new place.

I rang them on Saturday to discuss it and there was some rigmarole about going on a new 12 month contract for broadband from that date if I gave 30 days notice to cancel my TV service. I said I'd think about it.

I rang again today and cancelled everything. I told her I was moving house and it seemed simpler to cancel everything now and assess my setup at the new place before deciding what I needed from them there.

Neither agent mentioned the new box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Their CS really takes the biscuit.

I'm about to move house and am inclined to go with VM for broadband and Sky for TV at the new place.

I rang them on Saturday to discuss it and there was some rigmarole about going on a new 12 month contract for broadband from that date if I gave 30 days notice to cancel my TV service. I said I'd think about it.

I rang again today and cancelled everything. I told her I was moving house and it seemed simpler to cancel everything now and assess my setup at the new place before deciding what I needed from them there.

Neither agent mentioned the new box!

It wasn't mentioned today until I asked about it.
    They probably think the grand reveal is going to be big news for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Got to say the replay option is great. Find a program look for episodes and can back track through series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I cancelled the other day citing the horrible performance of the horizon box as my reason for leaving. They didn't bring up this new box as an alternative.

Amazing really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

MAJJ wrote: »
    Got to say the replay option is great. Find a program look for episodes and can back track through series.

Is Replay TV SD or HD, or does it depend on the TV channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Depends on channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

ballyargus wrote: »
    I cancelled the other day citing the horrible performance of the horizon box as my reason for leaving. They didn't bring up this new box as an alternative.

Amazing really

That is really bad business, sounds like back in 2006 when it was going on forever "testing" the box that records but couldn't give a date... I cancelled and got Sky+ installed, the recording version of their box was then released a month later.

Was on to Virgin today via WhatsApp to see about moving my telly to them but because I have broadband I'm not really eligible for any "new customer" offers. I did ask about the 360 box as part of my original message but it was skated over. Kinda Strange to be fair, looking at FTA or to go back to Sky and if I get Broadband from Vodafone for the year the world will be my oyster with Virgin in 2021.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Was on the technical support today about my Horizon box which is over heating / fan is running at full speed regularly. I had to replace my previous one for the same issue in 2018. No mention of the 360 box, they wanted to send me out a new Horizon box. When I mentioned the 360 box they said it will be launching on 30th July. Technical support representative told me I can register for the box on https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv360support/ but of course there's no such option there that I can see.

I wonder if an early release / first day release registration option is coming soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Virgin have a new Horizon box which has a larger heatsink smaller 2.5" harddive and only one fan where the older model had three,
    Its around the same size as an Argos Catalogue where the original was larger yet the exterior looks identical to the original model,

I have some comparison pictures in this thread below my guide to silencing and eliminating heat from a Virgin Cisco multiroom box by fitting a solid state 2.5" HardDrive which by design has no moving parts which makes no noise and operates much better.

I've attempted a 2.5" solid state HardDrive upgrade on both Horizon box models however this was unsuccessful as the box seems to be synchronized with the hard drive it detects a discrepancy when initialised.
    Link: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/109139-virgin-media-multiroom-cisco-8685-hdd-upgrade-to-sshd-solid-state-harddrive/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

LenWoods wrote: »
    Virgin have a new Horizon box which has a larger heatsink smaller 2.5" harddive and only one fan where the older model had three,
    Its around the same size as an Argos Catalogue where the original was larger yet the exterior looks identical to the original model,

I have some comparison pictures in this thread below my guide to silencing and eliminating heat from a Virgin Cisco multiroom box by fitting a solid state 2.5" HardDrive which by design has no moving parts which makes no noise and operates much better.

I've attempted a 2.5" solid state HardDrive upgrade on both Horizon box models however this was unsuccessful as the box seems to be synchronized with the hard drive it detects a discrepancy when initialised.
    Link: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/109139-virgin-media-multiroom-cisco-8685-hdd-upgrade-to-sshd-solid-state-harddrive/

welcome to the future. you're only half a decade or so out of date. I looked at your other thread, interesting but it would never work, the drives used in the STBs are encrypted so you cant expand them.

The new boxes being discussed here are not the same ones as you are referring to, these are brand new and a completly different form factor to what you describe (the cisco horizon box and the slightly smaller V2 cisco box)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dabrisin

Just wondering from the people who have had the 360 box on trial, have there been any issues , and is anyone any wiser when VM will finally release this box to the general public ? Getting impatient here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

dabrisin wrote: »
    Just wondering from the people who have had the 360 box on trial, have there been any issues , and is anyone any wiser when VM will finally release this box to the general public ? Getting impatient here.

Someone mentioned availability on the 30th for existing customers not sure how true that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Is anyone else having a problem with the audio sync on Horizon? We've a box that seems to drift off into some weird out of sync audio and the only thing that resolves it is an occasional factory reset.

The sooner I can get something modern the better. I'm very tempted to just ditch virgin TV due to Horizon.

Is anyone else having a problem with the audio sync on Horizon? We've a box that seems to drift off into some weird out of sync audio and the only thing that resolves it is an occasional factory reset.

The sooner I can get something modern the better. I'm very tempted to just ditch virgin TV due to Horizon.

Does the box have a card in the back ?
    Are the RJ45 sockets stacked 2 above 2
    Or are they four I a row?

Reason I'm asking is that there are two generations of box the newer one has less lag,
    I have both versions unused here too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to note, this thread is about the Virgin 360 (aka V6 aka Mediabox Next aka Horizon 4 aka EOS....why couldn’t Liberty stick with one name) box, the successor to Horizon. Discussion regarding the current Horizon box (or its smaller variant) belong elsewhere.

The humour forum maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

icdg wrote: »
    Just to note, this thread is about the Virgin 360 (aka V6 aka Mediabox Next aka Horizon 4 aka EOS....why couldn’t Liberty stick with one name) box, the successor to Horizon. Discussion regarding the current Horizon box (or its smaller variant) belong elsewhere.

VTV360 ackshually

LenWoods wrote: »
    Does the box have a card in the back ?
    Are the RJ45 sockets stacked 2 above 2
    Or are they four I a row?

Reason I'm asking is that there are two generations of box the newer one has less lag,
    I have both versions unused here too.

The sockets are stacked and there’s an empty card slot in the back

The sockets are stacked and there’s an empty card slot in the back

im not looking to distract this thread any further,
    only to respond to say the newer Samsung horizon box has no card slot in the rear and the RJ45 sockets are four in a row as saw in the bottom of my thread here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/109139-virgin-media-multiroom-cisco-8685-hdd-upgrade-to-sshd-solid-state-harddrive/
    I have both models here and now use neither,

as said Moving forward:
    this thread is about the Virgin 360 (aka V6 aka Mediabox Next aka Horizon 4 aka EOS....why couldn’t Liberty stick with one name) box, the successor to Horizon. Discussion regarding the current Horizon box (or its smaller variant) belong elsewhere.

thank you.

Hopefully they get this rolled out fast as it’s getting to the stage that a lot of people won’t even have cable tv by the time they get around to it - various steaming services are pushing into that market rapidly.

Lack of 4K and the various problems with the older kit is getting a bit ludicrous at this stage. They’re a good 5 years behind Sky.

I agree the name changes are confusing, particularly when you consider how many brands the company and its predecessors have had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I had a VM installer connecting up 240 meg yesterday in my new house and I asked him if he knew when the box would be out. He said October they were told.

Wouldn't be drawn on the speed of the box unfortunately.

Advertisement