Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revolut Megathread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

AIB complaints called today and according to them Revolut have accepted that the issue is on their side and that it is indeed because the end-to-end is not being sent per the SEPA standards and Revolut is working to fix the problem but AIB cannot give a timeliness resolution. Hopefully it doesn't take them too long and people don't need to resort to others unhelpful suggestions. At the end of the day it's not really a problem just that bit less convenient having to login to another banking app to pay it from there which is less hassle then alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I suppose the other use of a credit card is for an unexpected expense (e.g. car sh!t the bed) which you don't have the cash on hand to pay for

In that case APR would be important because you might not be able to pay it off in one go

Now in the case of Rrvolut, you could work around by using the credit card and then getting a short term loan to pay it off. The APR of 6% is better than the AIB credit card AFAIK, and you can pay it off as fast as you want

Disclaimer: I'd call this a method of last resort to pay for something and would advocate having a rainy day fund instead of being dependent on debt

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It's interesting how AIB spins this into its Revoluts fault because the "irish" solution is to use the end-to-end while the rest of Europe is using payment description or a combination of the 3 available fields.

So now for the sake of their Irish customers Revolut has to go ahead and adapt either an additional field into their payment process (which is going to confuse customers) or remove the payment description (which can take way more characters) and instead show the end-to-end which might cause problems with payments outside Ireland. Plus giving how limited in characters that field is, it might cause other issues.

How about AIB starts using the relevant fields instead so that it can actually process payments from around Europe in an efficient way. Or the allow payments into the "foreign" account from all banks rather than just non-Irish Banks.

But sure, it's Revoluts fault for using a different field than the Irish Bank Cartell has agreed to.

Now don't get me wrong, in an ideal world the banks would exchange all 3 fields with each other, but I am continuing to think the Irish Banks do whatever they can do stop foreign players to come in despite the EU open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Hi - Sorry if I’ve missed this in the thread, but has anyone had any hassle setting up a joint account since Revolut launched the function ? I can’t get the option from the app but my partner can. When she selects me to open a joint account with it says I can’t be invited to a joint account.

Any help or steers on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Banjo Carney

I think you need to have the option as well for your partner to invite you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They had it working before with the UK and LT IBANs so must have the ability to use the right fields at a some level. There is just something configured differently now with the IE one which wasn't picked up in testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I think that's because they had to be sent to the foreign AIB IBAN for credit cards. Worked for me with the Revolut LT and N26 DE IBANs sending to the foreign AIB IBAN.

The IE Revolut and Bunq IBANs don't work sending to the "Irish" AIB IBAN.

Maybe AIB look at all fields for the foreign IBAN but only the one they expect for the Irish one?

Revolut's new aggressive customer education during transfers is becoming a pain.

I did not spend as much as I thought this month via Revolut and hence decided to withdraw some money to my own Germany Based account (which I had done in the past) only to be told that there is a 98.7% chance that this I'm getting defrauded.

Then I had to sit through two videos educating me about fraud and when I than confirmed, I got another two videos educating me on "safe accounts" frauds.

On a transfer to my own account, I had used in the past for both receiving and sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Not sure if it is the issue but If you aren't on the Irish IBAN yet the joint account won't be available to you until you are

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Heya have 2 qs about Revolut.

1. My wife and I previously with KBC so have had to find a new sole current account which we have with Revolut and no issues so far. I have got the email so far about joint account which we already have with AIB and don't pay fees on as mortgage payment comes from there. I wouldn't mind a Revolut joint account too but do they charge fees on this account? Also can you get physical cards so would that be 7.99 each for them to be posted out?? Maybe somebody who has set up joint account can confirm some of the above

2. Made my first cash withdrawal of 50 quid at weekend there and was charged 0.12, don't care about the money just want to know is this a common thing when withdrawing money or would it only be at some ATMs? Think it might have said Goverment Stamp Duty on Revolut for this.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You are lucky that they didnt freeze the transfer and look for some documentation. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Regular banks take the charge in one go (it's 5 euro), revolut takes it each time as 12c until the max of 5 euro is reached. They have to take it.

Joint account fees are the same as personal account. Not sure what the story is regarding the benefits from a paid subscription but I don't think they carry over to the joint account (e.g. if you have €800 free ATM withdrawals from your personal account, you don't get another €800 from the joint account)

The joint card costs €8 and is basically the same as the standard card. It just says joint account on the front

The extra charge was stamp duty. As others said, many banks will just charge the maximum €5 once per year but the actual tax is €0.12 per transaction up to a cap of €5 per year

So technically Revolut are doing a better job than most banks because if you don't do many ATM withdrawals (less than 40 per year) then you shouldn't pay the full tax amount

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

If you already have cards to withdraw cash with you could avoid the 7.99 charge for the card by getting a virtual card and linking it to Google pay

True, we use our joint account for things like food shopping and it's more convenient to have the physical card

It would be cool if Revolut implement some feature where you can choose the default account that it debits from, so you could use one card for both accounts and just switch which one it uses in the app

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Thanks for both replies here.

Yeah we are both standard accounts so no fees just have certain limits with ATM withdrawals and foreign exchange. Had premium for free for 3 months which worked well as were heading to The States but have since dropped back down to standard, might go premium again if go somewhere need currency again!!

Regarding stamp duty so do I get charged 0.12c no matter if I take out €50 or say €200? Either way it will work out much better for me anyway as nowadays I rarely carry cash. Did a stag the weekend for first time with Revolut as main bank and was able to tap phone everywhere, fair handy to track everything afterwards too whether that is a good or bad thing 🤣

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Yeah, stamp duty is 12c per transaction (regardless of value) capped at €5 per year.

Technical if you use your card for ATM withdraws only it's 12c per transaction capped at 2.50€.

The cap of 5€ only applies if you use the card for both ATM and purchases.

So, in theory you could create a virtual card and only use it for ATM's (there are some Euronet and AIB machines that take cardless withdraws) and only pay the government up to 2.50€ instead of up to 5.00€.

Or when there is once again a free card promotion you get one and use that for ATM's only.

Saves you giving the goverment more money for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rotary939

Had my salary payment into my Revolut account bounce there yesterday. Had switched to using the new Irish IBAN as instructed which caused the bounce. Work processed the payment again but using the old LT IBAN and it went through ok. Revolut support say they are aware of an issue. Presumably the same thing mentioned earlier in this thread in relation to AIB cc payments. Company banks with Citibank as far as I'm aware. Currently in discussion with Revolut if it'll be resolved before next payment by which the 60 day crossover period will have passed. Just an FYI for anyone else in similar situation. Seems Revoluts big push to get us to use them as our main current accounts may be a little premature but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Funny to see Bord Gais specifically referencing Revolut as being allowed for direct debits. AFAIK, it would be illegal for them to exclude any EU account, but there you go.

• Advertisement

Mine went through fine to the new IBAN, so thankfully it isn't a universal issue

My employer asked for a sort code, account number and bank address as well, which took some head scratching trying to figure out what to write for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

The easiest way to figure these details out are to use the ibancalculator.com or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Got my “final response letter” from AIB complaints, dropping the hot potato into Revolut’s lap.

So now it’s back to the Revolut formal complaint process- has anyone gotten anything sensible from them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I got a phone call from them to say the same, and that a letter is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Be interesting to see what would happen in the Ombudsman got involved. From my reading on here, they accepted the card number being in the remittance information field when the payment came from the LT IBAN, typical of the Irish banks to just shrug their shoulder and say "Not our problem" and I doubt the FSPO would do much either

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Hi all,

If I have 100€ in my revolut account and use the revolut card in USA what's the difference if instead I have $100 in my account and spend it

When using a card terminal you may be given the option of paying in euros or dollars. Revolut in general advise paying in dollars because this uses their exchange rate, not Vida's which is typically worse

If there isn't enough money in your dollar account then it should automatically convert some euros to cover the shortfall.

However I've noticed on occasion that if you have more than $0 the transaction might fail. So if you have $5 in the US account and pay $10 it might not automatically convert euros the first time

There's also some potential pitfalls with doing an "instant" exchange rather than exchanging money in advance. If you exchange at the weekend they'll charge a 1% fee, and you might not get the best rates

So in general if you're travelling to the US for example, I'd recommend exchanging some currency in advance, just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Thanks wasn't sure of the advantages of buying dollars through revolut, but makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Pretty sure they don't mix and match currencies. They'll take $ first if in USA but if not enough in that account they'll draw the total from your € account, not half and half.

That used to be the way anyhow.

Advertisement