Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE Player

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They seem to have extra channels lined up - Food and others.
    Not a bad idea to categorise all the content they have. People are into different things and it would be an easy way to find stuff.

E.g. nature docs, food, travel

None of the stuff is playing for me on that link.

The RTE Archives linear channel looks the most interesting. Don’t Feed the Gondalas, Blackboard Jungle, Jo-Maxi and the 1990s Gerry Ryan version of School Around the Corner (that weirdly eventually morphed into the UTV version with Frank Mitchell!) appear to be on it.

Accordingly to RTE, the new player has now been officially launched on desktop. Must check with a real PC at home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Full screen in the browser is unwatchable. Got a fairly high spec computer and have no issues on any other sites playing full screen but the player is all over the place very stuttery and unresponsive

sugarman wrote: »
    Probably your connection, working fine here.

In Chrome with 360mb download - defo not my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No problems with quality here for the most part - live content (RTE One) seemed better than the on demand content though. Ads were blocky, but that'll only upset the advertisers.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Im using Firefox, maybe try that?

Far better in FF, still a bit stuttery tho - barely noticeable but it is there but watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

No, not necessarily no ads - just this thing of watching 2 minutes of ads as soon as you start - potentially getting an error where you can't start your programme, then having to start all over with your minutes of ads. There are better ways.

I'm hoping to see better Chromecast abilities more than anything.
    JMcGee wrote: »
    TV license fees won't cover it? To be honest, I'd be fine with ads the same way they are shown on the regular broadcast. Just once they are not the same ones over and over.
    icdg wrote: »
    The adverts at the start are a massive bug bearer for me. I’m not force to watch two minutes of ads when I switch on my TV, I’m not sure why I should be forced to do it when I stream RTE One or Two live, particularly during live “event” programming. It has meant missing goals/tries. And if you’re travelling, every time the stream drops you have to watch the two minutes again.

It’s not a problem when you watch on Sky Go incidentally, but some live sports events are blocked on Sky Go but not on RTE Player.

Pssst. A little birdy told me about putting this line in the "My filter list" in the advanced settings of Adblock plus:

@||bs.serving-sys.com/crossdomain.xml$object-subrequest,domain=rte.ie

But you didn't hear it from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SCIE Cu Chulainn

When i play the video works fine, but when I got to fullscreen is strangles the browser. Unwatchable. I have a mid/high-range gaming PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

It's annoying that the adds pause when you change the tab, but I can understand why they did that. The colour and layout of the website reminds me for some reason of Spotify.

Anyway to block adds just add this to "My Filters" on uBlock.
    @||rte.ie^$generichide
    @||mssl.fwmrm.net/p/cts_web_js/AdManager.js$script,domain=beta.rte.ie
    @||v.fwmrm.net/ad/g/*_HTML5_Live$script,domain=beta.rte.ie
    @||src.litix.io/videojs/$script,domain=beta.rte.ie
    @||beta.rte.ie/player/$script,xmlhttprequest
    @||pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js$xmlhttprequest,domain=beta.rte.ie
    ||rte.ie/ads/*$media,redirect=noopmp4-1s,domain=beta.rte.ie

courtesy of https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/a3he0d/how_to_block_ads_on_the_new_rte_player/

I see that it has been updated on Sky but with the usual limited content. The Apple IOS app is not updated yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I see that it has been updated on Sky but with the usual limited content.

Why is the content on Sky box so limited versus what's on the web player? Right pain in the hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That was the case before - content on TV app was different from the web based version. I asked RTE about it and they said it was due to rights. Either they have the rights or they don't. Surely the device shouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

JDxtra wrote: »
    That was the case before - content on TV app was different from the web based version. I asked RTE about it and they said it was due to rights. Either they have the rights or they don't. Surely the device shouldn't matter.

It's called greed, rights holders reason for the Irish Dramas online over on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I see that it has been updated on Sky but with the usual limited content. The Apple IOS app is not updated yet!

No update on SkyQ yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

I’m using smart dns but I don’t see Love / Hate. Actually the content looks limited. Plus nothing plays on iPhone browser. Anyone know what could be the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I can't get anything to play on Chrome but it works fine on Firefox. Says its "establishing secure connection" and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is the android version meant to be out tomorrow or are we in for another botched deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I watched love hate on my laptop last night with no issues, no luck on phone or tablet though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭portach king

Is the android version meant to be out tomorrow or are we in for another botched deadline?

Where'd you hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

It'll have chromecast for Android.

Great to hear. Just fired up the beta version on a laptop browser though and no sign of the cast icon in the player window.

I haven't watched RTÉ shows in years due to the crap app and lack of Chromecast support for Android. There's a lot of content I actually want to see so fingers crossed for this new Android app.

I think the new player looks good and less flakey (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Has anyone got it working on android mobile browser (chrome or opera) in desktop mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Has anyone got it working on android mobile browser (chrome or opera) in desktop mode?

Right off the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Hope it has android casting and no more crap buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Will the new player be coming to Sky Q I wonder? not before time to see Love/Hate, RAW etc in box sets available, they are 5 years behind the rest in reality.

Would love to see them make the archive channel a linear channel on all platforms, it would do very very well I bet.

In general all the Catch Up content on Sky Q is done through the same Sky Q EPG, there is the ability for broadcasters to “reskin” but literally all it does is change the background colour and add a logo. (Nonetheless, it’s quire nicely done).

Now they could do an app, like Netflix and YouTube, but they may not want to or be able to go down that road.

The rte player isn't working for me on chrome on android.

It puzzles me why they release the player on the least used platforms first. Very few people must watch on laptops or pcs.

Still no app launched on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

I'm hitting brick walls here trying to find a smart dns provider that supports the player. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I tried the player on Windows laptop with chrome browser and it looked for a flash player download in order to play. So much for html5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Very impressed with PC version I only hope the Android version will be as good as hopefully it will finally work on a Firestick

Advertisement