Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maunderevents

Here is a link to my complete backup https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy5msHel6CS9zXCAU_U21ZX_9mvfxZ8A
    Guide http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/Tiviar%20USB%20Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20flash%20a%20Tiviar%20Alpha+.pdf
    And here is a link to the picons pack, you need to use Filezilla to put the picon folder on your hard drive /media/hdd/picon https://drive.google.com/open?id=1epgDfivdpeh3JjGjbWdT0JRkAIkKtN9i

When done you'll need to edit your own weather location id in the mymetrix lite plugin, you can find your own location id here http://weather.mynonpublic.com/locationid.html
    You'll also need to scan the terrestrial tuner if you're not receiving signal from Cairns Hill

note: I forgot that I've a password on my box, to change it use putty to ssh into the box and use the command "passwd root" it will prompt you for a new pass. I'll pm you the pass while I'm doing a new backup
    post updated username: root, password: tempass

Also note: My OpenWebif is set to port 8585, you should change this back to port 80 in the openwebif plugin, I changed it to suit a firewall rule I already had

Do I need to put your picons only on my box when it get as its coming with open atv ,or do I flash my box and put your complete backup on it

Will your picons work it I say put a sky like skin on the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Do I need to put your picons only on my box when it get as its coming with open atv ,or do I flash my box and put your complete backup on it

Will your picons work it I say put a sky like skin on the box

You can use the picons with any image, they work with most skins, in fact most skins are built around highlighting them

The box will come with nothing setup, a raw OpenAtv or OpenVix install. My image has lots of stuff configured with very little left to setup besides scan for terrestrial channels and add the picons to the hard drive.

Oh BTW, they're not my picons, there are loads of different picon packs available on lots of other forums. These are known as MK picons, all credit goes to MK for the fantastic job he makes of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Slyk onyx is a nice skin if you don't want it to look like sky.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Slyk onyx is a nice skin if you don't want it to look like sky.

Yes, I'm using it. It is nice, I just wish it used the full width of the screen on the EPG page, that largely unused 1/4 to the left with the Oynx graphic is annoying.

If he used the EPG page from his Virgin skin it would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vincent17

Hello all.
    I got the Tiviar Alpha Plus today and it came with OpenAtv 6.1 pre-installed.
    I have read this thread and i downloaded thhb image and installed it.
    I waited a while after it installed but i could not get a picture. I turned off the tv and then turned it back on again and still no picture or sound. The tv is working on and i get sound/picture from the aerial.
    I put in a scart from the Tiviar to the tv and i got sound but the picture was all green and not clear.
    I did have a picture from the hdmi from the Tiviar to the tv and i was looking around the settings/info and other bits on the box before i flashed the image so the Tiviar was working so the settings on my hdmi maybe outputting wrong.
    Can anybody tell me how i can get this issue sorted out or will need to be reflashed to OpenAtv 6.1 again.

Thanks for any help or ideas you may have.

• Advertisement

vincent17 wrote: »
    Hello all.
    I got the Tiviar Alpha Plus today and it came with OpenAtv 6.1 pre-installed.
    I have read this thread and i downloaded thhb image and installed it.
    I waited a while after it installed but i could not get a picture. I turned off the tv and then turned it back on again and still no picture or sound. The tv is working on and i get sound/picture from the aerial.
    I put in a scart from the Tiviar to the tv and i got sound but the picture was all green and not clear.
    I did have a picture from the hdmi from the Tiviar to the tv and i was looking around the settings/info and other bits on the box before i flashed the image so the Tiviar was working so the settings on my hdmi maybe outputting wrong.
    Can anybody tell me how i can get this issue sorted out or will need to be reflashed to OpenAtv 6.1 again.

Thanks for any help or ideas you may have.

Are you using a 720p TV, it could be that mine is set to 1080p. Try another TV that supports 1080p

If this is the case the setting you need to change is in settings -> setup -> video -> basic settings. Change the mode from 1080p to 720p and press green to save

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ vincent Try flashing the image from USB again. ie delete the version on the stick and copy it across again from your PC/laptop and stick it in the box and reboot it.
    bk wrote: »
    Yes, I'm using it. It is nice, I just wish it used the full width of the screen on the EPG page, that largely unused 1/4 to the left with the Oynx graphic is annoying.

If he used the EPG page from his Virgin skin it would be perfect.

I have seen an earlier version of it that doesnt have the logo on the left its filled with the next programme info.

The skinner is KiddaC who posts over at inuxsat-support.com

I followed The high horse brigade's advice and i worked.
    I had to use the box's display as a guide as it could not see it on the tv.
    I will now read up some more on this site about this box as there is more to learn.

Thanks for all the advice.

I followed The high horse brigade's advice and i worked.
    I had to use the box's display as a guide as it could not see it on the tv.
    I will now read up some more on this site about this box as there is more to learn.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sorry about that. Glad you got it sorted. I will update the image and re-upload a new version later with mode on auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 P.C

Hello All

I have ordered one of these boxes with open Vix on it. I am new to these linux boxes so it will probably be a big learning curve for me.
    Can some tell me do they come with built-in WiFi or do I need to buy a WiFi dongal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

P.C wrote: »
    Hello All

I have ordered one of these boxes with open Vix on it. I am new to these linux boxes so it will probably be a big learning curve for me.
    Can some tell me do they come with built-in WiFi or do I need to buy a WiFi dongal ?

The review linked on first page says it arrived with wifi dongle.
    The Alpha plus is delivered with:
    Power Supply
    Remote with batteries included
    1 x HDMI cable
    1 x LNB loop cable
    1 x USB WiFI Adapter
    Fitting Screws for internal PVR
    http://linux-tv.com/receiver/tiviar-alpha-plus/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hello All

If you're buying from this site you need to select which dongle you require.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus

Hello Johnboy1951 sligojoek

Thanks for all the info very much appreciated.
    I did not see that when I was ordering it and yes it was from that website.
    Will any WiFi dongal do or does it need to be the same make as the box sorry for all the Questions.

Hello Johnboy1951 sligojoek

Thanks for all the info very much appreciated.
    I did not see that when I was ordering it and yes it was from that website.
    Will any WiFi dongal do or does it need to be the same make as the box sorry for all the Questions.

I see now the USB dongle should come with the box
    Thanks all.

Hey made an order Sunday night from wos
    Box was sent via dpd 48 hour,any one here know how long it will take tracking still says same thing.
    I always find dpd to be slow and rubbish in past

I am slowly getting to grips with the Tiviar box.
    So far i am pleased with it apart from the very large white lights at the front of the box which lights up the room.
    Is there a way i can dim these lights or turn them off all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am slowly getting to grips with the Tiviar box.
    So far i am pleased with it apart from the very large white lights at the front of the box which lights up the room.
    Is there a way i can dim these lights or turn them off all together?

Simplest, maybe temporary, solution --- put a piece of black electrical tape over the light and see how it works out.

Hey made an order Sunday night from wos
    Box was sent via dpd 48 hour,any one here know how long it will take tracking still says same thing.
    I always find dpd to be slow and rubbish in past

I ordered Sunday and I got it today at 11:30 from dpd

Got my box today too ,how do I change my channel so say I press 1 on control and it brings me to number 1 for rte one like the channel list I made.
    When I press now it's bringing me to a German channel

Got my box today too ,how do I change my channel so say I press 1 on control and it brings me to number 1 for rte one like the channel list I made.
    When I press now it's bringing me to a German channel

This box is not plug and play you need to delete these default bouquets (groups of channels) and make your own. You have lots of things to do on a raw image, scan for channels, setup electronic program guide etc.
    It'd be much easier for you just install my image which has everything configured.

• Advertisement

This box is not plug and play you need to delete these default bouquets (groups of channels) and make your own. You have lots of things to do on a raw image, scan for channels, setup electronic program guide etc.
    It'd be much easier for you just install my image which has everything configured.

I have all channels in Irish and uk in order I want deleted all the rest have epg and hard drive set up for picons from the plugins but there are no Irish ones.

I got some skins from plugins but there not great
    No sky like ones.

Any skins I put on from FileZilla don't show up in skin section either.

Sorted the channels so 1 is rte etc.

Any idea how to fully turn of Audio description it's driving me up the wall of the U.K. Channels even on some of the adds

Any idea how to fully turn of Audio description it's driving me up the wall of the U.K. Channels even on some of the adds

Go to auto language settings and set your 1st language to English

My post earlier has a full set of picons

Any idea what would cause the box to reboot anytime I try and watch a recording I did, screen goes blue and error message then reboots .
    Also your full backup will That wipe my open atv or is your full backup just image and picons

Any idea what would cause the box to reboot anytime I try and watch a recording I did, screen goes blue and error message then reboots .
    Also your full backup will That wipe my open atv or is your full backup just image and picons

Did you buy an internal drive? Is your drive mounted properly? Did you initialise the disk?

Flashing an image wipes everything

Did you buy an internal drive? Is your drive mounted properly? Did you initialise the disk?

Flashing an image wipes everything

Hey yes they put it in its working fine all box is bar this fault anytime I got into recording it reboots
    I'd not know enough to wipe the box

Below is image of what happens when I try to go into it
    I want your set up on my box it looks nice

Hey yes pause etc works recording works but when I go into view it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thanks a lot THHB for sharing your image.

Got the box set up this evening - only have DVB-t2 here, but could pick up all Freeview channels by changing to UK and scanning..
    Tried recording, which works fine..
    Added youtube plugin, which is basic but functional..

Jeez, there's a bit of a learning curve on these boxes though!

As I've got the box for someone else, and am setting it up for him, I'd like to be able to remotely connect to it for troubleshooting.
    I understand I'll need to set up port forwarding on his router and a dynamic dns service.

I was advised no-ip will do the job and is free, but am having trouble as

a} his router only supports paid services, e.g. dyndns,com
    b) I can only find a plugin for dyndns to install on the box

Can anyone advise on a solution please?

Is this what I put on my usb then into my box
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IVomJIJQtqlTm91_92XvFlZr-2Iaacce/view
    My tv is 720 yours is set for 1080 does that mean I won't be able to see it if I use your full back up on my box

Is this what I put on my usb then into my box
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IVomJIJQtqlTm91_92XvFlZr-2Iaacce/view
    My tv is 720 yours is set for 1080 does that mean I won't be able to see it if I use your full back up on my box

If you leave it until tomorrow eve I'll do another backup with resolution on auto, I'm away don't have access to the box atm

• Advertisement

Ok thanks
    Maybe I will jus try it sure can always do it again if it won't work with your new image
    No going to wait till you out new image up
    My tv is 720

Advertisement